• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Damn it I give up...I just cant get used to the square gate. I just really like that smooth "loose" American style feel. That and I gotta get a bat top.

Are there any people you could actually pay to do modding work to an FS3? Just to mod the stick and gate to be exactly american style, and maybe have some kinda custom skin as well?

The face buttons are perfectly responsive though, so i'd leave those alone.

JEKKI

what's FS3?? a Hori?? I do not think an American stick will fit in there.

also all american sticks use square gates also, except for the P360.

you can try to switch the square with an octogon gate, and get a bat top replacement for the ball to make it more american-like.

Teknoman

JEKKI said:
what's FS3?? a Hori?? I do not think an American stick will fit in there.

also all american sticks use square gates also, except for the P360.

you can try to switch the square with an octogon gate, and get a bat top replacement for the ball to make it more american-like.

Hori's Fighting Stick 3 for PS3, and yeah thats what I meant. The octogon gate (like what Coco modded with his Hori Fighting Stick EX 2 for 360) and a bat top.

Just want it to be as close to that American stick style grip and smoothness as possible. Also a custom skin cover wouldnt hurt :D

bee

Teknopathetic said:
In case anyone's looking, both Arcade Shock and Renchi have HRAP3s in stock now.

Bought mine and should hopefully show up tomorrow.

did you get it from renchi? £43 seems damn reasonable but is the shipping gonna pretty much double that price?

Shipping was quoted as 33$ from Renchi to me, so I'm assuming they're based in America. You can still put it in your cart and go through the checkout steps and before you put in anything regarding payment check what the shipping cost will be.

I'm just joking that the shipping was so cheap I thought they were from a different country. Considering the weight and size of the box, other places I saw based in Foreign (to mine, America) countries was 60-70-80$

shas'la

Guys is the Hori EX2 still the only viable option for non custom 360 sticks? Is there nothing else on the horizion ( i wanna get prepared fro SC IV).

Teknoman

Shoryuken.com needs to hurry and give me access to the other forum sections so I can check out modding ; ;

Played the American stick styled MvC 2 cabinet at the movies today. Must have Octogon and bat top. Thats exactly the feel I was going for, or as close as possible.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
shas'la said:
Guys is the Hori EX2 still the only viable option for non custom 360 sticks? Is there nothing else on the horizion ( i wanna get prepared fro SC IV).

Nothing in the immediate future, but I can promise you there will be a high end arcade stick for the 360 down the road.

Teknoman

After looking at the Sanwa bat tops and Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate, seems like a pretty cheap mod to do. No soldering required right? However if i'd have to shave down some of the parts to fit in the Fighting Stick 3, im going to have to continue looking for someone to do the mod for me :lol. We have 0 power tools in the house at the moment.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
It's really easy to put in a bat top on a Hori FS3. All you have to do is screw off the ball top first. All you would need is a Philipps screwdriver or something else to hold the shaft in place as you screw out the ball top.

I'm not sure if n octagonal restrictor plate would fit in as those were designed for Sanwa JLF sticks.

CPS2

MarkMan said:
Nothing in the immediate future, but I can promise you there will be a high end arcade stick for the 360 down the road.

That's good to know! :D

I hope it's at least easily customisable, nothing soldered to the pcb, or has Sanwa or Seimitsu parts. It's about time Hori made an HRAP for the 360, or maybe Capcom should get in on the action if they're expecting a lot of SF4 sales...

Teknoman

MarkMan said:
It's really easy to put in a bat top on a Hori FS3. All you have to do is screw off the ball top first. All you would need is a Philipps screwdriver or something else to hold the shaft in place as you screw out the ball top.

I'm not sure if n octagonal restrictor plate would fit in as those were designed for Sanwa JLF sticks.

In that case, I need to ask what type Cocobrova used, unless the EX2 and FS3 are drastically different internally. Especially since almost every post on Shoryuken.com with Fighting Stick 3 usually has the word mod following close behind :lol Bat top replacement seems easy enough though.

But yeah, I wont rest until I get this Fighting Stick 3 to get as close as humanly possible to being "american style"...at least the joystick part.

Best picture I could get of what I current have:

ruy9tj.jpg

And trying to get something done akin to this:
http://www.championedition.com/?p=17

Cmagus

Im gonna start building my own custom box.I just wanted to know if anyone knew somewhere where I can find measurements for the box itself like hole placement and what not.

Cmagus

Im going to be using Sanwa buttons and for joystick im using a Sanwa Joystick.Im making it for the 360 so I have a spare wireless controller and I have found a good complete walktrhough for all the wiring and what not but Im just not sure on the actual box.Thanks for the link I'll check it out

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Cmagus said:
Im going to be using Sanwa buttons and for joystick im using a Sanwa Joystick.Im making it for the 360 so I have a spare wireless controller and I have found a good complete walktrhough for all the wiring and what not but Im just not sure on the actual box.Thanks for the link I'll check it out

Yo! Sanwa buttons are 30mm, I suggest checking the stick layout thread or checking out http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html for some more in depth info:

Tekno: Not sure, back in the day when I signed up there wasn't a verification process !

JEKKI

making boxes suck!!

that's all I wanna do these days... but I jus dont have the right tools :(

I needa router...

Teknoman

akuma001 said:

lol thats just lucky. Those are pretty much out of print now right?

Anyway I think i've found an easy way out with modding my FS3 (so I can stop whining around here about it :lol )

According to Darryl of championedition.com, when speaking on that Hori EX2 Bat top and gate mod I posted earlier: "I believe it would work for the PS3 version, and you could probably forego using a drill and just epoxy the parts in there."

Same answere to another guy who happened to have trouble with drilling holes/extra screws:
"A lot of modders just get some epoxy or a hot glue gun and glue it down. I would just do that if the screws aren’t working out."

So I think im gonna give this a shot.

akuma001

Teknoman said:
lol thats just lucky. Those are pretty much out of print now right?

Anyway I think i've found an easy way out with modding my FS3 (so I can stop whining around here about it :lol )

According to Darryl of championedition.com, when speaking on that Hori EX2 Bat top and gate mod I posted earlier: "I believe it would work for the PS3 version, and you could probably forego using a drill and just epoxy the parts in there."

Same answere to another guy who happened to have trouble with drilling holes/extra screws:
"A lot of modders just get some epoxy or a hot glue gun and glue it down. I would just do that if the screws aren’t working out."

So I think im gonna give this a shot.

yeah hard to find for now as far as vshg.

as far as battop, just order Sanwa LB-30-N Joystick Bat Top and Sanwa Joystick Adapter. take a flat head screw driver and unscrew the old balltop from the bottom and insert the adapter and battop over it. tighten it back up with the screw driver and you're done

for the octagon restrictor, there are holes that line up the same way as the hori joystick to fit the screws, the thing is they don't go all the way through the sanwa restrictor so you just drill it through. there isn't nothing to mess up unless you are incredibly unlucky.

i wouldn't mess with hot glue or any adhesive to hold down the restrictor. just think about how much pressure you put on it while playing and more to the point, the screws is basically what keeps everything together. what is gonna hold your microswitches since the screws go through them as well?

modding a fighting stick 3 is the same as modding a wii stick or ex2 if you are just replacing the balltop to battop or just the restrictor.

Teknoman

Well thats where my problem lies, we dont have an electric drill handy, so i'd probably have to go buy one. While its good to have power tools around the house, this would probably be the only use to get out of one.

Thats why earlier I was just hoping to find someone who would mod my stick if I paid for everything :lol

LowParry

Teknoman said:
Damn it I give up...I just cant get used to the square gate. I just really like that smooth "loose" American style feel. That and I gotta get a bat top.

Are there any people you could actually pay to do modding work to an FS3? Just to mod the stick and gate to be exactly american style, and maybe have some kinda custom skin as well?

The face buttons are perfectly responsive though, so i'd leave those alone.

I was like that a first (as we discussed back then). Tekken really helped me break it in and I've been playing more KOFXI now and my responce time is improving drastically. Give me another year and I'll have it slightly mastered. Don't give up!

Teknoman

Maybe...

Hmm I guess i've got the resources (most of the recent 2d fighters that have released for PS2 thus far + VF5 for PS3). I'll keep practicing until I can find someone who might be willing to do the mods for me.

Its funny because just last year my friend had a garage sale of sorts, and had an old power drill plus some other stuff. I had my pick of the stuff he had (for free) and I ended up just getting some of his PC games. Didnt want to see like a horder...but now I wish I picked the drill and the games :lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I know this is really off topic, but...

Anyone have a PS2 Sega Saturn pad? Or the PC USB Sega Saturn pad? Color doesn't matter.

I need one pretty urgently! If anyone has info or can help me find one (not for $100+ tho)... please let me know!

Teknoman

Wasnt there a guy selling one in the buy/sell/trade topic? Unless I was mistaken. Also you could try to look around in that free to a good home topic.

EDIT:

Whoa...

2vuh2qx.jpg

I think those words of encouragement (and finally beating DMC4) actually helped. I decided to pop in KoF XI and go to practice mode....im pulling off all of Terry's moves with no problem, even the supers (havent tried any Super cancels or dream cancels, one step at a time :lol ). I think I finally figured out what my problem was. With the square JP style you really have to literally hit all the directions in the move instead of just gliding through the motion. Guess after some more practice it'll be natural with all 2d fighters.

Also it seems to reduce spammy nature lol, I dont think there is any way to actually spam qcf motions with a JP style stick. Still might go through with the bat top though, for a better grip. Scratch that...might just leave it alone now lol everythings startings to "click" :D

CPS2

I'm surprised to see that they're still in stock at play-asia as well =/

I guess they made a few more in this batch than last time...

Cmagus

Ordered my parts not I need to make a box plus im working on my design for it Im going with a Jet Set Radio theme its not done but it's coming along

artjet.jpg

"How long did it take for renchi to process your order?"

I bought mine from ArcadeShock. Johnkers seemed to have a good experience with Renchi, though.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Button plugz <3 !

Nice mod.

I have a few HRAP3s but I chose to keep one stock and the others all black. ;) Will post pics later...

hie

it's no HRAP, but i'm modding my EX2 tonight with the 8-way gate & a bubbletop.

i'd like to give a special mention to Lizard Lick also. he was out of my first color choice for the ball, so i picked another color on Friday. it showed up TODAY!

awesome service. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey guys. I need to pick up a PS3 stick. I think I'd rather buy a stick in stores. Does anyone have any advice what I should look for?

I'm also not sure where to look, but I assume Den Den Town in Osaka would have a great selection of sticks.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
thetrin, get either an Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 or a Virtua Stick High Grade(if you can find them), you can't go wrong with either one. Which games will you be using it for?

--

Some of my HRAPs...

526553660_d8f7fa8958.jpg

HRAP3 with Seimitsu bubble top and Seimitsu PS14Ks.

109399510_c3aaffcdde.jpg

HRAP2 all Seimitsu'd out with the out of production Seimitsu PS14-GX high end buttons.

And damn it, I can't find pictures (lazy to take new pics) of my all black one and my other HRAP2 :insert mad face here: !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom