• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR : Mario Kart 8 to feature a track editor?

L~A

Just saw this on Newegg (mind you, it's NOT the official product description from Nintendo) :

Mario Kart 8 Wii U is a new game for the Wii U. It features new elements such as customizing bikes and designing your own tracks. It is the sequel to the game Mario Kart 7.

Not sure what to make of this... Satoru Iwata did say Mario Kart 8 would be (one of) the first game to really push the GamePad [can't find exact source, so disregard this please], and a track editor would be one of the best users of the GamePad so far. The part about customising bikes kinda makes sense, since you could already customise karts in Mario Kart 7 (but there wasn't any bikes in this one).

Honestly, I remain skeptical, but who knows. They've been pushing Miiverse a lot (

Source

Just saw this on Newegg (mind you, it's NOT the official product description from Nintendo) :

Not sure what to make of this... Satoru Iwata did say Mario Kart 8 would be (one of) the first game to really push the GamePad, and a track editor would be the perfect use of the pad.

Honestly, I remain skeptical, but who knows.

This would be amazing. I just hope that if it is true, it has a lot of tools. Nothing more disappointing when you have tons of heavily themed levels to only be able to make a generic ass one.

Kouriozan

Sounds too good to be true, if it does indeed include one, I hope you can select them for online races.

EDIT : Well, at least it's clear now :(

Son Of D

Hopefully it's better than Smash bros Brawl's creator, that was terrible. But it is a use for the gamepad, so hopefully it's true. Chances are we won't know whether this is true or not until the Mario Kart Direct in April or May (this is just a guess).

I'm hoping it's true as others have said, although I'm cautious about the validity of the rumor at the moment. It makes sense for it to be included, and Nintendo did say that MK8 would be one of their first games to really take advantage of the Gamepad. All we've seen from the game just has a horn and map on the second screen, which isn't really taking advantage of anything. So either Nintendo is just lying through their teeth about taking advantage of it or they're hiding something like the track editor until close to release.

Effect

It was said that you'd be able to upload video of your races I believe to Miiverse to share with others. If they're willing to go that far I don't think a track editor is to crazy of a reach. I doubt they'd do it to be honest as they'd make a LOT of money by offering DLC packs of new courses/cups or must remixes of them the way they did stages in Pikmin 3 and Fire Emblem Awakening and New Super Mario Bros U/2. Remember though that Super Smash Bros Brawl did have a stage editor. There is precedent for this after all. However since they've embraced DLC I doubt they'd be willing to add that back into Smash and to Mario Kart. To much money would be left on the table.

Taker666

I've been wanting/suggesting it since the first DS game. As soon as they had a machine with a touchscreen, it should have been a no brainer

...but I won't hold my breath.

Kouriozan

Can't wait for the longest Rainbow Road ever, if it is true

ibqmZpnvrjMghU.png

If true I imagine it to be something conservative along the lines of forge in Halo 3. But here's hoping.

Please let me make Baby Park Nintendo.

Neifirst

Remember though that Super Smash Bros Brawl did have a stage editor. There is precedent for this after all. However since they've embraced DLC I doubt they'd be willing to add that back into Smash and to Mario Kart. To much money would be left on the table.

Didn't the 64DD version of F-Zero X in Japan have a track editor too?

Kosma

Banned
IIRC Nintendo has said numerous times they don't like editors etc. cause it takes away from the crafted experience.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Won't be true, but definitely something that should be in a series produced now only on devices with touchscreens in a post ModNation/LBPKart world.

Exotoro

L~A

IIRC Nintendo has said numerous times they don't like editors etc. cause it takes away from the crafted experience.

Well, they have one in several games (Super Smash Bros. Brawl, that Mario & DK game, and some others I'm forgetting).

But yeah, I'm skeptical to be honest, though I don't see why a random Newegg employee would suddenly unearth a several month old rumour for a short product description.

Not getting my hopes up until we got official confirmation.

Top Bottom