• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remothered: Tormented Fathers - Greenlight Trailer

Steam Greenlight trailer.

Remothered: Tormented Fathers is a psychological 3rd person survival horror game with strong cinematic inspiration and extreme gameplay.

The story is rich of unpredictable plot-twists, but it is touching at the same time. Psychology plays a huge role within the game: heroes and enemies are atypical and the line between good and evil is blurred. The development of the game is similar to that of a film narration, where the player perfectly identifies himself with the character. The soundtrack, composed by Nobuko Toda (Final Fantasy, Halo, Metal Gear Solid), enhances the terrifying atmosphere of the game.

PLOT said:
Rosemary Reed, a fascinating 35 year old woman, reaches the house of a retired notary, Dr. Felton, who is affected by a mysterious disease. The woman is greeted by Ms. Gloria, the nurse who takes care of the old man. When Rosemary reveals herself and her true intentions, the terrifying dread begins.

Rosemary's investigations will bring her to believe that the disappearance of the man's daughter Celeste actually hides a terrible massacre. Dr. Felton and his wife, Arianna, could be the only ones to know the truth, including the secret behind Celeste's real identity and a fanatic cult of cloistered nuns in red.

KEY FEATURES said:
Remothered: Tormented Fathers is the first title of the long-awaited 3rd person game trilogy. A web of lies where murders and obsessions come to life. A revolutionary experience created for survival horror fans.

. Run and hide gameplay - You will have to deal with obsessed stalkers always on your steps. They'll never give up or die.
. Psychological plot - Characters in the story are everyday people that turn themselves into scary monsters.
. No guns or powerful weapons - You can only use standard items to deceive the stalkers or react to their assaults.
. Movie-like cutscenes - Thanks to his impressive direction, Chris Darril puts into play a story rich of complex life-like characters.
. Audio clues - The soundtrack will alert you when your enemies are getting closer.
. No health bars - Your body is the only way to understand how you are doing.
. Learn new skills - Acquire new abilities and improve your old ones throughout the game.
. Realistic puzzles - Scenario and characters have been conceived to be realistic and credible.
. Top-notch soundtrack - Nobuko Toda (Final Fantasy, Halo, Metal Gear Solid) and Luca Balboni wrote the music for the game.
. Real-time loading - Explore the mansion without worrying about empty moments or boring loading times.

Sample screenshots (more on the Greenlight page):
38F7E8B8FAEC71382DF876F014E5D03ECFA689E9

4C2C9685E828EC0C166EC3CC43E5EC5C1450197C

232B95DA06A4650EB33F78A701B487F557C0CBB4

2BDBF18689AE6151D80CD61D3C7BFCE25C592678

1901B5A8D09F5563B753F8A6C46F7A76C569A04A

D51CE17DE965329FCB2C4DAB6B711CD0E2E9422B

A big downside for me for this game is that it's going the dudebro route with over the shoulder, as opposed to classic style tank controls with fixed cameras. A real shame.

For those unaware, this game is being made in Unreal Engine 4 by an Italian fan of the Clock Tower games, but this game is his own interpretation of the franchise. You could call it an unofficial spiritual successor.

mclem

That's... quite the mealy-mouthed title. Still, the premise sounds interesting. I suspect language differences account for some of the bits that sound odd? How is Rosemary 'fascinating'?

mclem

Are there any other videogames with a middle aged woman as a protagonist? Can't think of any.

35 isn't generally regarded as 'middle aged', but she's certainly older than many protags who spring to mind.

While she's not the lead, I generally took Sophia Hapgood from Fate of Atlantis as being in her thirties (given that she'd apparently spent time with Indy several years ago, so clearly wasn't a child then!) although I don't recall if her actual age is cited

Are there any other videogames with a middle aged woman as a protagonist? Can't think of any.

I can think of a few off the top of my head, granted I don't think there are many middle-aged woman as the PC as standalone:
Culpa Innata
The Graveyard (more elderly, but ehh)
Urban Chaos

She looks a little like Jodie Foster. I would like to see some gameplay. I'm actually glad it is 3rd person and I like the over the shoulder perspective. I just hope it is better than NightCry which also was a spiritual successor to Clock Tower.

Plenty of horror games have done over the shoulder camera, no idea why you'd call it a dudebro thing.

I'm just glad it's not first person.

Sesha

Nice visuals and art direction, although the character models look weird and the animations need more work. Also, Nobuko Toda, a composer on MGS3, 4, PW, PO, Acid 1- 2 made music for this game. Was there a crowdfunding campaign for this? Who the hell are Darrel Arts and Stormind Games and how did him/they get a composer on MGS games to make music for them?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nice visuals and art direction, although the character models look weird and the animations need more work. Also, Nobuko Toda, a composer on MGS3, 4, PW, PO, Acid 1- 2 made music for this game. Was there a crowdfunding campaign for this? Who the hell are Darrel Arts and Stormind Games and how did him/they get a composer on MGS games to make music for them?

There was no crowdfunding campaign for this, this was originally a 2D point'n'click horror game back in like... 2008-2011 which was being made for the PC and Wii as a homage to the Clock Tower series of horror games. However, it changed up a LOT in development as you can see and this ended up being the final result. Game's been in development for almost 10 years now, but it's being made by a small Italian team. For how they got the composer, they actually worked a bit for the concept art on NightCry (not the in-game art, just concept art), and Nobuko Toda was on that project as well, she did a few songs for NightCry, so I am guessing they met her there and worked something out.

I'm very excited for this, been following it for years and happy it's almost here. This is the first of three games they want to do, I'll give the 'trilogy' idea a whirl though I have my doubts if it'll be finished, but of note they've clarified they want each game to be stand-alone enough and finish the story they tell but with an on-going plot thread between them.

I kind of figured it might be behind the character from early screens, but I'm fine with that. Otherwise this resembles to me some hybrid of the Ashley section of Resident Evil 4 and Haunting Ground specifically, which is not a bad thing to me at all. Love the art direction as well, some things might be rough but it's a very low-budget small team thing so I'm way more impressed what they pulled off. It has a very distinct look that is similar to Rule of Rose and Clock Tower without riffing on those games, which I can appreciate.

Excited for it.

Top Bottom