• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Kimmel calls out deceptive Republicans over Graham-Cassidy Obamacare repeal

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Kimmel's monologue is his second on health care reform, and comes amidst a push among Senate Republicans for a vote on the Graham-Cassidy bill, the newest iteration of legislation to repeal Obamacare composed by Senators Lindsey Graham and Bill Cassidy. The proposed legislation would repeal the individual mandate that requires consumers to purchase health insurance and provide states with decade-long block spending for health care. The Senators need 50 votes for the bill to pass, but only have until September 30th to get them.

"Healthcare is complicated, it's boring — I don't want to talk about it — the details are confusing, and that's what these guys are relying on," Kimmel said. "We are all just looking at our Instagram accounts liking things, when they are voting on whether people can afford to keep their children alive or not."

"We can't let them do this to our children, our senior citizens, our veterans, or to any of us," he added.

More at the article: http://time.com/4949096/jimmy-kimmel-health-care-obamacare/?xid=homepage

Youtube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlibbx5sx0

I hope to see more and more high profile voices continue to call out the dishonest nature of the Republican Party. I want this stuff shouted from the hilltops.

I've always found it so surreal and disheartening that political discourse in this country isn't about differing viewpoints... but rather a battle between facts and deception. Can't help but daydream about some magical solution to finally "open everyone's eyes" (as cliche as that sentiment is)

EDIT: To make your voice heard in opposition to this bill you can call: 202-224-3121

JABEE

Seriously. Kimmel has a right to call out this asshole for using his name and lying to his face.

This is a load of horseshit.

Blader

Cassidy trumpeting about how any healthcare reform needs to pass the Jimmy Kimmel Test only to turn around and personally write and attach his name to this garbage is one of the grosser things to happen in politics this year, and that's a pretty high fucking bar to clear at this point.

Kimmel gets a lot of justified guff but his healthcare rants are always important and heartfelt.

I hope his son is healthy and growing (for those that don't know, his infant son had heart surgery).

What Republicans are trying to do with this, regardless of your "side of the aisle" is disgusting and morally wrong. Everybody should condemn them for this. People WILL DIE.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Good for him doing this. Waiting for the "he should stick to interviews and not politics" shit.

I love how he addresses that in the video.

Politics affects our lives. Yes, we should be talking about it.

That was an excellent roasting. I Wish he'd gone a little farther and dropped mentions of universal healthcare, public options and single payer that all those countries dabble in to make their healthcare systems cheaper and better than what the US has to offer the majority of it's citizens.

Mariolee

That was an excellent roasting. I Wish he'd gone a little farther and dropped mentions of universal healthcare, public options and single payer that all those countries dabble in to make their healthcare systems cheaper and better than what the US has to offer the majority of it's citizens.

I think for his audience it's best to focus in on one aspect of healthcare at a time. Like he said in the video, healthcare is complicated and difficult to understand for the majority of people in the U.S. and although you should read up on it, it's best to take it one step at a time if you're just starting out this kind of discourse.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can hear the frustration and anger in his voice.

Kimmel went in. And he outlined it very clearly and concisely.

I think for his audience it's best to focus in on one aspect of healthcare at a time. Like he said in the video, healthcare is complicated and difficult to understand for the majority of people in the U.S. and although you should read up on it, it's best to take it one step at a time if you're just starting out this kind of discourse.
True, but you can't read up on something you've never even heard of. Despite all the centrist (and some reasonable) complaints about Bernie's healthcare bill it accomplishes the very important objective of making the public aware of their options. Two years ago almost nobody would have known about single payer healthcare or how it's different from a public option, but this stuff being injected into public consciousness even little by little is making people aware. Now we've got Democrat presidential candidates hashing out the details and moving the conversation forward. We're also learning that there is no single path to universal healthcare and there are many countries to learn from and follow by example.

Either way I'm glad guys like Jimmy Kimmel are putting themselves out there. They can play a vital role in shaping the healthcare debate as well and Democrats are going to need all the help they can get because Republicans are just going to get people killed with their healthcare bills. The propaganda regarding universal healthcare will also make "death panel" rhetoric look tame come 2020.

Kevinroc

I'm glad Jimmy did this. Health care is an incredibly important issue and it is not getting the attention it deserves. I've seen people slowly coming to the realization of what the Republicans are doing, and they are in disbelief that it could actually happen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
At this point every single media source out there should have a story with the headline Republicans Are Lying Assholes. It's all so goddamn blatant and harmful. And they all have to tell the most blatant lies about it because it is completely indefensible without lies.

All this talk about Trump, but this bill passing will be way more norm shattering and damaging to America than anything Trump has done, and Trump doesn't even have anything really to do with it, except for supporting it just like Jeb is, and signing it just like Jeb would.

This shit isn't going away when Trump does.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Colbert is on 6 months probation for bringing Spicer to the Emmys. That cancels out a lot of good will.

Yeah, as I said in the other thread: it's disappointing but I understood what he was doing (using Spicer to poke at Trump -- he immediately shit on Spicer again moments after).

Doing one minor thing I disagree with does not cancel out a single moment of the past 10 years. That's silly. And I won't be part of the "liberals eating liberals" nonsense that sometimes happens the moment one of them does anything remotely disagreeable.

Socreges

Banned
Colbert is on 6 months probation for bringing Spicer to the Emmys. That cancels out a lot of good will.
At least he mocked him openly. Kimmel had Spicer as a guest and coddled him like some innocent bystander.

I like Kimmel
Colbert fucked up too

watershed

Banned
I hope this public calling out helps kill the Graham-Cassidy bill. Republicans "on the fence" will hopefully wake the fuck up and see their own political jeopardy in supporting such a bill.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I like how Jimmy names off a whole bunch of countries that have "figured out" healthcare. They all conveniently have single payer. Just come out in support already, we need you for the fight ahead.

Media figures should get political and stay political. And not just in regards to partisan party politics, but actual important issues that their audience needs to know about. I get that the parent companies get nervous about that, but its true

They will keep trying and trying. They won't stop. We will need to be constantly vigilant whenever the right wing controls the US government. Which is pretty damn often lately! :(

commedieu

Banned
Yawn.

Sean-Spicer-Jimmy-Kimmel-Video.jpg

Foffy

Banned
Good.

Let as many people know who are parasites who prey on the public.

I'm not one to judge looks, but Cassidy has a smile I'd expect from a serial killer with no emotion or heart.

I like how Jimmy names off a whole bunch of countries that have "figured out" healthcare. They all conveniently have single payer. Just come out in support already, we need you for the fight ahead.

Japan, Germany are for sure multipayer and I think France may be too. Shocker, you're talking out of your ass agin

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They will keep trying and trying. They won't stop. We will need to be constantly vigilant whenever the right wing controls the US government. Which is pretty damn often lately! :(

The good news is it'll get a lot harder to do both obamacare repeal and tax reform in 11 days. That they only have 11 days to pass this is making it pretty hard for them, even if they broke the code to McCain's vote by simply having his good friend Graham write the bill.

Just one last push and it's likely just tax reform to worry about.

Hesh

I appreciate his concern and he's using his platform altruistically in a way that I can get behind, but is a Hollywood celebrity publicly deriding Republicans really going to change anything? I just expect this to be written off by Republicans as "typical librul Hollywood", which sucks, but I'm kind of getting numb to it at this point. If high profile Republicans could knock this bill then I think that would actually make a difference.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Japan, Germany are for sure multipayer and I think France may be too. Shocker, you're talking out of your ass agin

Oh, you found a few variances to justify being an ass? How typical of you. I'm talking about a push for universal healthcare and a severely reduced(if not completely eliminated) role of private insurers, and you sit there and try to make snarky comments, i wasn't even talking to you. Seriously.

I would think some of us could post about healthcare and what most industrialized nations have without some people with a chip on their shoulder against single payer healthcare for whatever reason having an attitude.

Oh, you found a few variances to justify being an ass? How typical of you. I'm talking about a push for universal healthcare and a severely reduced(if not completely eliminated) role of private insurers, and you sit there and try to make snarky comments, i wasn't even talking to you. Seriously.

I would think some of us could post about healthcare and what most industrialized nations have without some people with a chip on their shoulder against single payer healthcare for whatever reason having an attitude.

UHC is achieved by more than single payer systems and like 1/3 or more of the countries listed were multiplayer.

I apologize for the snark. It was unnecessary. I get frustrated by the lack of multipayer systems being discussed when we all talk US healthcare reforms

Glad to hear. Jimmy is doing a good service right now, and I like that it is personal for him. The more people get the word out on universal healthcare, the better.

Top Bottom