• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-HoT shenanigans.

V2QIRfU.jpg

saYRaM2.jpg

Dunlop

Because I am just coming back I decided to start a new character to get the mechanics again

I currently have a lvl 80 engineer and Guardian

I levelled a ranger now to 5 and it is definitely not for me (shoot from a mile away, let bear get aggro and kill mob). I know early levels are easy but pretty sure I was not even hit once ; )

Any recommendations for a "fun" class?

I killed a lvl 20 elementalist to make that ranger, I think I made a mistake lol

Ashodin

The Highlights theme is really nostalgic even if I don't understand what it has to do with the game.

I haven't really played GW2 since near launch, but hopefully I can find the time to give it another go now that there's apparently some possibility of healing.

you will REALLY love the druid. It has a spambot heal mode you can toggle. Super Saiyan Healing activate!

spiritfox

Because I am just coming back I decided to start a new character to get the mechanics again

I levelled a ranger now to 5 and it is definitely not for me (shoot from a mile away, let bear get aggro and kill mob). I know early levels are easy but pretty sure I was not even hit once ; )

I killed a lvl 20 elementalist to make that ranger, I think I made a mistake lol

Play melee Ranger. It's much more satisfying and more damage.

Hyunashi

Finally something new to do. Cant wait to farm up Holloween shouders no matter how grindy it may be and to main the Rev. Shirooooooo~

Spyware

Ranger can be something completely different if you want to. Greatsword or a combo with Sword in the main hand will make it feel like a different class. If you don't want the pet to tank for you, get a ranged one or a glass cannon one instead :)
General rule: Don't give up on a class until you've tried all weapons for it!

Retro

The developers are live-streaming from now until launch, supposedly they're giving away a bunch of stuff too; http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Keep your ears open for a GAF shout out, we've gotten mentioned a few times during these.

best Ot ive seen guys! great job! wish i still played.

:throwback thursday: THIS IS ZULFATE!

Hey, I remember you...
RqTc0.jpg

How come you don't play anymore?

For what it's worth, Ranger can be a lot of fun if you primarily use a melee weapon (Greatsword is probably the most enjoyable for me) and keep a bow as backup.

Engineer, Thief and Warrior are my favorite, but I have one of every profession and the only one I don't enjoy a ton is Necromancer (and that's changing with Reaper spec).

I don't play this anymore but the OT is beautiful and kind of makes me want to.

Nothing's stopping you except having to download it again and remember your login info.

I hate twitch give aways.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah, the spam was obscene there.

Cathcart

Well, I bought this so I guess I should play it. I think I forgot how this game works, though. Is this the one where you just follow Levyne around and make jokes?

Retro

Well, I bought this so I guess I should play it. I think I forgot how this game works, though. Is this the one where you just follow Levyne around and make jokes?

I try to ease up on the puns when Levyne is around, but that's... actually not a bad way to look at it.

ViciousDS

Banned
only got to level 9......but wow it feels real different from years ago. The slow opening to 5 skills was eh, but I could see it working well for those new to mmorpg's. I don't think I've ever explored this much of the map before without being buggered to do the story quest. Also nice job guiding me to activities on the map....really cool. Love the rewards every few levels and lets me know whats coming up. All in all.........just the core experience is making me feel good, and it feels good.

Seems like they wanted to guide the players to activities thats for sure compared to the open freedom we had before.....however the initial freedom we had sometimes left me event farming due to being lost on where to go....I think you had to jump maps at a certain level and run a good distance before the next area to continue your leveling path....now they kind of in a way guide me.

Jira

So halloween skins should be in the BL chests after the update? I've been saving some keys.

A lot of the new skins are in game, including an ascended shoulder piece collection that makes a bunch of bats swarm around you and follow you when you move.

Mxrz

For new players, yeah, its undoubtedly better. For vets we get tomes to skip it all.

Gonna try for a fractal 50 if the new fractal changes start tonight. The one and done system sounds heavily for us poor puggers.

Jira

I get it, but I really loved how on GW2 launch those early zones were filled with players. I played it some then but then put it down for awhile and when I came back the zones I were in were pretty barren of players. I expect the same will likely happen with the new zones, when this expansion releases there will be a huge surge of players running through it for the first time but later on if I ever get my character to that level they'll probably just be populated by people running specific things and not just progressing through them.

That's not the way this is built. They have specifically created these new zones to be run, rerun, and rerun again. They did not build this like other MMOs where you blow through the new zones and never go back to them. Dry Top and Silverwastes released last year and are still run by full maps full of people every single day. That and megaservers make it so every single zone in the game is always populated with players.

That's not the way this is built. They have specifically created these new zones to be run, rerun, and rerun again. They did not build this like other MMOs where you blow through the new zones and never go back to them. Dry Top and Silverwastes released last year and are still run by full maps full of people every single day. That and megaservers make it so every single zone in the game is always populated with players.

As much as I despise level scaling, it has worked towards this game's favor, in terms of populating zones.

So I purchased the expansion, previously has a capped Elementalist, but am going to start a new character tomorrow. How do I do the Living Season stuff? What Living Season stuff will I need to purchase?

spiritfox

So I purchased the expansion, previously has a capped Elementalist, but am going to start a new character tomorrow. How do I do the Living Season stuff? What Living Season stuff will I need to purchase?

Season 1 is now lost to time, but there's a recap you can check out by activating the mission in your story tab.

Season 2 is available to purchase for gems if you were not on during it, or you can join another person who has it if you don't need the rewards. It's recommended to at least know what happened during Season 2 since it's a lead up to HoT, but you don't need to have done it to start HoT's story.

We don't know what they'll do for HoT, but the campaign should be similar to the base game's Personal Story. They'll continue Season 3 from there I suppose.

Anno

If you weren't logging in during Season 2 then you'll need to purchase that after getting up in levels. Other than that you'll have the Halloween content going on for a few weeks and presumably Season 3 of the Living World starting somewhere down the line.

Syril

Man, I feel like I fell off this game before I even wanted to. There was still a lot of the story/exploration stuff I hadn't done yet, but I just feel like I reached my limit with the basic gameplay after the hundreds of hours I already played for. Now with Heart of Thorns already here and costing way more than I want to pay (at least they do sales somewhat regularly), I'm a little worried that I'll get left behind if I try to get into the game again without it. I hope if they do another Living Story season I can log in to claim it if I don't have HoT yet so I don't have to pay even more whenever I do decide to get it.

Spyware

Just hopped over to SBI. The original reason for choosing another server when switching over to NA was completely destroyed a while ago. It just made WvW a mess for me who just want to do some easy dailies. I hope that's easier on Stormbluff. :p

So hyped for Halloween and the QoL updates.
The Countdown to Launch live stream is really fun so far btw!

Jira

Man, I feel like I fell off this game before I even wanted to. There was still a lot of the story/exploration stuff I hadn't done yet, but I just feel like I reached my limit with the basic gameplay after the hundreds of hours I already played for. Now with Heart of Thorns already here and costing way more than I want to pay (at least they do sales somewhat regularly), I'm a little worried that I'll get left behind if I try to get into the game again without it. I hope if they do another Living Story season I can log in to claim it if I don't have HoT yet so I don't have to pay even more whenever I do decide to get it.

Season 3 will be a thing, we just don't have a timeframe with it. Something we don't know is if you're required to own HoT in order to claim it or not.

Fishious

Nah, you'll be fine without HoT. It sounds like there's plenty of content you never got around to and none of that's going away. Some of it is improving with the expansion like fractals. And since the base game is F2P there will still be plenty of people doing stuff in core Tyria. Only potential issue is I'm pretty sure season 3 will be linked to HoT ownership, but we don't have anything certain yet. It sounds like that will only be coming after HoT has settled a bit so you've got time to play the core game and decide if you want HoT or not.

Fishious

While I'm expecting pretty much all the Halloween stuff to be recycled from previous years I'm really hoping Mad King Thorn has some timely HoT jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom