• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Mecha

But not the naked eye, which is what really matters.

Vita hasn't yet wowed me in what I've seen from it. I'd hate if any of the SRW devs were hurting projects to rush development for it.

The 3DS will most likely get one before the vita, I believe one was named in one of the lists of games being developed for the 3DS. Would blow my mind if during the 20th anniversary event they show 2nd OG gameplay/release date, show a 3DS SRW game, and a new PV for 2nd Z Saisei-hen.

Bebpo

Banned
But not the naked eye, which is what really matters.

Vita hasn't yet wowed me in what I've seen from it. I'd hate if any of the SRW devs were hurting projects to rush development for it.

Uh, the naked eye can see scanlines :p

From tryIng out various 2d psp games on vita, I can vouch that they upscale very nicely with better color and black level.

And I don't know what you mean by hurting projects to rush them for Vita. The DS srw team is likely making a 3ds one right now and maybe after saisei-hen, that team will start on a vita srw. Gamers should want a srw for vita since it's the best fit for handheld srw games with it's amazing screen that makes 2d games look incredible.

I picked up copies of Super Robot Taisen Original Generation and Original Generation 2 the other day; I've been meaning to try out this part of the series for some time now, and I figured that those games would be a good place to start.

The mechanical designs are quite nice, and I like the fact that they're treated more like equipment when customization is involved - although I feel like constantly swapping parts on each map might get old very quickly, and I'm only on Episode 7 in the first game. Not too crazy on buying pilot abilities with points, though, but I figure that's just a more modern thing that I didn't really get exposed to in SRW J, Z, D or Alpha Gaiden.

I was told that the OG series was more like a side-story to the main Super Robot Wars games, and I've noticed that the OG characters pop up in the mainline stuff. But has the plot of any of these games actually been used as the basis for a main SRW game, or is it more like "Oh, btw, this is what Ryusei and Co. were up to in between the last game and the one coming up"?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I was told that the OG series was more like a side-story to the main Super Robot Wars games, and I've noticed that the OG characters pop up in the mainline stuff. But has the plot of any of these games actually been used as the basis for a main SRW game, or is it more like "Oh, btw, this is what Ryusei and Co. were up to in between the last game and the one coming up"?

The OG games are a mixture of several of the OG characters' stories from all the other SRW games, along with some new characters, and somewhat completely different storylines for many other OG characters.

blind51de

Banned
I'm kind of irate that Kusuha isn't half as hotblooded as she is in the Alpha series, but at least Bullet hasn't been brainwashed yet.
Yet.

Shouta

Kusuha hasn't even had her Alpha 2 storyline playout and it was only in OGGs that it even got an introduction which is why her personality is more girlie overall. I'd expect her to change some in OGs 2 if anything. But it'll probably be only for spurts I bet.

The OG games are a mixture of several of the OG characters' stories from all the other SRW games, along with some new characters, and somewhat completely different storylines for many other OG characters.

I see. Thanks for the info! I'll have to check out some of the earlier SRW games once I make it past OG1 at least.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Suprised no one's commented on the new SRW Z2.2 scans yet.

From what it looks like, possible new combo attack for Daitarn/Zambot/Toraider, and looks like Getter team gets their uniforms.

Shouta

I saw them, it looks mighty sexy. The game isn't that far off though so even not looking at them means we'll get it soon.

Jubern

Also, news from TeraadaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA :
http://blog.spalog.jp/?eid=863520

- He can't really say anything about whatever Vita title that's coming out. It's way too early and there's Z2-2 and OG2nd to look forward to anyway;
- OG2nd will retain the weapon select system, but fixed weapon all upgrade together.

blind51de

Banned
I'd trade a second Final Muteki Special for a Final Obari Special with Final/Gravion/Nova.

Though I do like all the SMS Valks having a Tornado pack, I just might use Luka for once. Wonder if Klan's going to have selectable Meltran spacesuit mode like in L.

Beth Cyra

Also, news from TeraadaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA :
http://blog.spalog.jp/?eid=863520

- He can't really say anything about whatever Vita title that's coming out. It's way too early and there's Z2-2 and OG2nd to look forward to anyway;
- OG2nd will retain the weapon select system, but fixed weapon all upgrade together.

Damn it, someone needs to bitch at this man till he puts Gren back in.

Not surprised at the Vita response though I can't wait to seed both 3D/Vita SRW's.

Mecha

Suprised no one's commented on the new SRW Z2.2 scans yet.

From what it looks like, possible new combo attack for Daitarn/Zambot/Toraider, and looks like Getter team gets their uniforms.

Yeah the Daitarn/Zambot/Trider team attack looks pretty cool. I would choose that over the Obari special, if only for my hatred of the source material.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone know what time the SRW festival is tomorrow? Should be early morning there now.

I hope we get some nice surprises out of this event.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know what time the SRW festival is tomorrow? Should be early morning there now.

I hope we get some nice surprises out of this event.

12 noon and 5 pm, Japan time, is what I heard.... so I would assume we're gonna start hearing stuff about it in about an hour or so?

Bebpo

Banned
Personally, I don't really care about Sasai-hen info at this point. I mean what's the point in spoiling all the good stuff when you're going to be playing it in like 3 weeks? They've really waited until the last minute to media blast this game, and it just seems a bit silly.

Anyhow, I was under the impression that it was more than a Saisei-hen event and there would be 2nd OGs stuff? Not seeing any mention at all of 2nd OGs at the event :( Was hoping for a new trailer and a release period.

Jubern

That was also my impression, but it doesn't look like they talked about it :/

And looking at the event website, it actually says
Event contents :
- SupaRobo Series 20th anniversary stage;
- Stage show; Talk show with popular voice actors who appeared in the SupaRobo series;
- Live (as in music live) of theme songs by various artist from previous iterations;
- SRW Z2.2 second promotion video;
-20th anniversary special goods sale.

So, yeah.

Edit > Checking twitter pretty much confirms nothing was said about OG2nd...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
While I don't have info from the event, apparently a 2nd commercial for SRWz2.2 came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5edtTevI0E

Notable stuff:
Possible double Dabcougar/Dancougar Nova attack? (Shinobu character portrait shown, but its Dancougar Nova?)
Shin Mazinger's uber gold god fist attack Big Bang Punch
Pretty much everything in the commercial was new (new attacks, etc).
New JAM Project theme song, Hagane no Resistance

Update: Take the following w/ a grain of salt, but: http://uminisoso.blog136.fc2.com/blog-entry-37.html
Cut and past translation from /m/:
Guren Flight Type
Wing Zero (Rhythm Emotion as BGM)
Daitarn Fan attack
00 Trans-Am
Seravee and Seraphim separation attack
Borot and Kurogane Five
Big Bang Punch
Gundam DX separation attack
Giga Drill Maximum
Gimmy and Darry combo attack?
Kei and Athena combo attack
Shin Liger
Black Ox (from Tetsujin)
Gold Godmars
Gold Aquarion
Double Dankuuken
Dragon's Hive in an attack (with F.S. dialogue)
Zambot separation attack
Shenhu with Xingke as pilot
Mordred with Anya as pilot
METEOR
Turn A's Beam Saber with new animation
Nu Gundam's Hyper Bazooka with new animation (physical attack at the end)
New cutin for Jiron and Chiru
Durandal Valkyrie
Large Ranka
Full Armor Klan
Setsuko
Rand and Mail
Black Pearlnail with a gothloli pilot

That's more or less the first part of that blog post translated. The 2nd part of the blog post, I assume is the music they played during the concert at the event? It mentions a couple of SRW theme songs, like the Great Mazinger, Combattler V and Jeeg themes.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Rand and Shin Liger? Fuck I want to see this PV.

Reports indicate that the Shin Liger popping up seemed like it was part of a Shin Dragon attack. This is leading some to believe that you wont actually be able to transform into Shin Liger, just use it as part of an attack. Hopefully this wont be the case, but we really won't have to wait long to find out, just a few more weeks.

Another update: the PV that will be released to the public will technically not be the one that was shown at the event. Apparently, the Event PV had the full CG Intro, and the BGMs for each character's attack.

The public PV will have edited CG Intro, and it won't have the BGMs playing for each attack.

- It also was confirmed that we finally get "Happily Ever After" for Gurren Langann. Woohoo.
- Z1 protags have new attacks
- setsuka will have Valgora, Rand will have Gunleon
- Destroy Gundam apparently shows up.
- at the end of the PV, either a secret unit was shown, or a code about a secret unit was shown (i'm getting conflicting reports). Intel indicates that the code is: "xx - x9" Where all we know is that there's a "dash" and a "9" in the name of the unit, the x's being unknown characters.

Beth Cyra

Kinda disappointed if Shin Liger and Shin Pos are just attacks for Shin Dragon.

Granted Shin Getter is certainly the one most would care about, but still it sucks for me because I far prefer the Dragon/G design over Getter/Shin type design.

Still want to see if Wing somehow made the cut for CG.

Very happy about Gunloen and Rand, then again it would have totally killed my hype if he didn't have it. I just really hope that Land Crasher is his theme.

Bebpo

Banned
Damnit, wish I didn't see that post about Rand and Setsuko. That would have been a crazy surprise out of nowhere when they showed up mid-map otherwise.

I need to avoid this thread until I'm playing Saisei (>_<)

Otoh, I'm now excited about saisei-hen for the first time since it means the OG story is going to get reaaaal cool in this one. Z3 should be epic in 2015, let's get 4 protagonists again with all the returning ones like @3.

Beth Cyra

HAHAHAHAHA Wing got passed up on the intro again.

Not a Mazinger Z fan, but Z and Shin's intro where amazing.

SF Metero is getting to the Rolling Twin Buster Rifle level of boring now.

Beth Cyra

I'm surprised I saw Nu Gundam and Zeta Gundam in the intro... they didnt show up at all in the last one, I think.

The only two Gundam leads that didn't show up this time where Wing Zero and Destiny, I think so anyway.

Seeing Nu and Zeta was awesome though. Makes me wish there was a ZZ even more though.

Shouta

HAHAHAHAHA Wing got passed up on the intro again.

Not a Mazinger Z fan, but Z and Shin's intro where amazing.

SF Metero is getting to the Rolling Twin Buster Rifle level of boring now.

Opening is supposedly truncated but I don't know. It might not.

Kinda weird not to include him in it when they have DX and Turn A in there

Beth Cyra

Opening is supposedly truncated but I don't know. It might not.

Kinda weird not to include him in it when they have DX and Turn A in there

Honestly I don't find it that surprising, given Wing's very small/odd role in Z2 Part 1 and Wing wasn't in that intro at all.

If they really did keep something out I doubt it would be Wing Zero of all units and then show off Nu/OO/Shin/Shin Z, just doesn't make sense to me.

That and rewatching the intro, why the hell is Zero's Saber so Yellowish? A bit a green, but wasn't Zero's Saber from the anime/manga bright Green like Wing?

Oh and I loved Beast Metal G. Really glad to see them doing it full on.

Ken

Oh, the Mordred is in this. Hope the other Knights' KMFs are in this too.

What are some places where I can pre-order this? Not liking the $100 price on NCSX. Can't find it on AmiAmi. :(

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, the Mordred is in this. Hope the other Knights' KMFs are in this too.

What are some places where I can pre-order this? Not liking the $100 price on NCSX. Can't find it on AmiAmi. :(

I always get my stuff from NCSX... but I think you can get it from PlayAsia (if you're willing wait).

The game will probably pop up on the JPN PSN store, so you also have the option to just go digital. Due to price exchange, it'll probably cost as much as the one on NCSX though. :p

I might actually go w/ the PSN this time though, since I have a Vita.

Ken

I always get my stuff from NCSX... but I think you can get it from PlayAsia (if you're willing wait).

The game will probably pop up on the JPN PSN store, so you also have the option to just go digital. Due to price exchange, it'll probably cost as much as the one on NCSX though. :p

I might actually go w/ the PSN this time though, since I have a Vita.

Yeah, I have a Vita too but no JP PSN card. I got Z2-HH from NCSX too, but I don't remember it being as expensive. Maybe my memory is just bad. Thanks though.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have a Vita too but no JP PSN card. I got Z2-HH from NCSX too, but I don't remember it being as expensive. Maybe my memory is just bad. Thanks though.

mjemirzian mentioned it earlier in this thread, but they take foreign cards now on the JP PSN. I still haven't tried it yet though, so I can't verify if it still works or not.

Ken

mjemirzian mentioned it earlier in this thread, but they take foreign cards now on the JP PSN. I still haven't tried it yet though, so I can't verify if it still works or not.

Foreign PSN cards or foreign debit cards?

Top Bottom