• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's the NAS (Network Attached Storage) Thread, yo.

kehs

Banned
Own a Synology DS410 with four 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green HDDs, in Raid 5 config.

Really like it - however am perplexed on how to upgrade in the future. Will need inventive thinking to move all the contents elsewhere when the time comes.

Also, have to say that I'm impressed with the development Synology have given the operating system from v3 to v4. Good stuff.

What do you mean by upgrading? Talking about disk sizes?

It's all an in-place upgrade. As you move and replace the disks the system will take care of the volume expansions.

accx

Adding more HDDs to a case will make it hotter and louder. Each HDD will generate additional heat and noise, no really getting around that. The nice thing about having your storage separate from your client (HTPC) is that you can stick it in a closet with cooling somewhere and not worry about either. I guess you could do that with an HTPC, but then you'd have to run video cable through to your TV, and you couldn't use a remote.

HDD In itself doesn't add that much more to heat as you might think. HDD's runs at about slightly higher than ambiance temperatures and at full load doesn't really increase. Cooling is a lot more efficient these days then what it was a couple of years ago. Sure, with more drives, more hdd trashing sounds would come through but all of these issues would be in a NAS solution as well.
Yeah, it would not make sense storing a HTPC in a closet which you could do with an NAS.

You can build your own NAS from scratch if you're a power user. I go back and forth on which I prefer, but you have the option.
How much options do you get if you're going the NAS route? Wouldn't it basically just mean adding drives to a NAS case with a prebuilt chipset from [insert manufacturer here]?
You are given the option of mix and match several manufacturers when building a HTPC (just like building a regular pc).

First of all, that would be a massive HTPC! I realize size isn't that important to some, but many of the HTPCs sold these days are around the size of a Nintendo Wii, if not smaller. With Raspeberry Pi + XMBC, they'll be about the size of an Apple TV (heck you can even jailbreak an ATV2 and use it as an HTPC).
Sure, a NAS with several drives wouldn't be small either. You could go as big as a full on ATX Case in horizontal mode, which would be as big as an A/V reciever, or it could be as small as a wii. The larger it gets, the more options of hardware comes available.

Performance-wise, if you only have a 1 client system, you're right, it would be equivalent. Performance becomes an issue when you have multiple clients all connecting to your main HTPC. Without a NAS, that main HTPC has to both serve media to multiple clients plus play back media itself. It's juggling multiple streams. With a NAS, each client only has a single stream (to itself). The NAS does all of the serving, so your machines that actually play the media won't have issues, and the NAS is specially built to handle simultaneous network connections without performance issues, while an HTPC probably isn't.
A NAS would not be able to handle anything better than a HTPC with similar price tag would be. Sure, a NAS might have some optimization going on, but i still would question if the price tag would be worth it? A S775 core 2 duo is dirt cheap and would handle all tasks perfectly fine even if there would be several clients.
Sure, if you want to be able to stream 1080p to your tv while three other computers are doing full backups to the other drives in the HTPC, it would make a lot more sense to have a NAS for the backuping and the HTPC for the streaming. But this is a power user scenario anyhow.
a HTPC with a full duplex 1gbit network card would perform the same as it would in a NAS.
A NAS is basically a small footprint, closed down PC system (meaning you could only upgrade its drives and not much else), with "optimizations" (i need to check this out) for handling specific tasks.

Nah nothing wrong with a little healthy debate IMO. We can continue this over PM though if people are getting irritated. I think we both see each other's POV anyway, just different personal preferences.

Yeah exactly, i will continue monitoring the thread for a while and answer anything, but we're basically just arguing our own personal preferences at this point :)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Synology has great software. I can download stuff onto it, edit video file metadata, decompress RARs. All first party software.

impirius

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Synology box but keep coming across reviews that complain that file operations take a really long time. Are these boxes meant mainly for backup and media streaming, or are these reviews just off the mark?

kehs

Banned
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Synology box but keep coming across reviews that complain that file operations take a really long time. Are these boxes meant mainly for backup and media streaming, or are these reviews just off the mark?

File operations?

I've spent the last 18 months building my dream movie server / audio streamer / household backup system.

I have a solaris box in the roof that runs ZFS over 6 x 2 tb hard drives. This gives me around 8 TB of space, but means that I can have two drives fail and still not lose a single byte of data... ZFS is to all intents and purposes bulletproof and the only way to go if you're serious about this NAS stuff.

I drilled through the floor of the roof and hard wired the server to my switch. Now, I can pretty much access all of my movies and music in any room - Solaris supports cifs/samba natively, so it's pretty compatible.... I run a Boxee Box in my living room and it streams bluray ISOs with no issues at all.

If anyone is serious about keeping their data, it's certainly worth considering ZFS / RAID-Z2. It's a far superior file system option to vanilla RAID configurations, and has a bunch of features to ensure your data integrity. It'll even perform "scrubs" periodically, where it goes through all of your data bit by bit to check integrity and guard against bit rot, silently correcting errors as it goes.

For anyone interested in finding out more, this is a great article to start with.. it guides you through the whole process with screenshots (it's surprisingly easy though!) - http://dsc.sun.com/openstorage/articles/opensolaris_nas.html

gokieks

I've spent the last 18 months building my dream movie server / audio streamer / household backup system.

I have a solaris box in the roof that runs ZFS over 6 x 2 tb hard drives. This gives me around 8 TB of space, but means that I can have two drives fail and still not lose a single byte of data... ZFS is to all intents and purposes bulletproof and the only way to go if you're serious about this NAS stuff.

I drilled through the floor of the roof and hard wired the server to my switch. Now, I can pretty much access all of my movies and music in any room - Solaris supports cifs/samba natively, so it's pretty compatible.... I run a Boxee Box in my living room and it streams bluray ISOs with no issues at all.

If anyone is serious about keeping their data, it's certainly worth considering ZFS / RAID-Z2. It's a far superior file system option to vanilla RAID configurations, and has a bunch of features to ensure your data integrity. It'll even perform "scrubs" periodically, where it goes through all of your data bit by bit to check integrity and guard against bit rot, silently correcting errors as it goes.

For anyone interested in finding out more, this is a great article to start with.. it guides you through the whole process with screenshots (it's surprisingly easy though!) - http://dsc.sun.com/openstorage/articles/opensolaris_nas.html

Absolutely agreed. My fileserver is my previous desktop (Phenom II X3 720) running FreeBSD 8 and ZFS/RAID-Z with 6 x 2TB drives, and I would not consider using an off-the-shelf NAS instead for even a second.

I do intend on replacing the hardware with something more efficient (a low-TDP Ivy Bridge Pentium, likely), and I'll definitely need a new case with more expandability for it for the next time I add 3 drives (it's currently housed in my nearly decade-old CoolerMaster WaveMaster), but I'd like to do so at the same time as I do a full OS migration. Which bring me to the only downside to a ZFS setup: Solaris (plus variants like OpenIndiana) and FreeBSD are fine OSes in their own right, but they just aren't easy or painless enough to setup and configure for the vast majority of people, even the technically inclined ones. FreeNAS does serve as a decent alternative, but my tests with it left me quite wanting in terms of features and control. Because of that, I'm still holding out hope that Linux will get a mature and reliable ZFS implementation soon - Linux (or rather it might be more accurate to say Ubuntu specifically) has reached the point where it's almost as easy to install as Windows. I mean, I consider myself very technically savvy, but even I would honestly much prefer to run it off Ubuntu Server than FreeBSD or Solaris.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've got Synology running on DSM 4.1. I checked off auto extract on Download Station yet it still did not auto extract. Anyone?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Would you guys choose Seagate Barracuda 3TB or Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB internal drive?

Want to upgrade from two measly 500 GB NAS drives to 6 TB.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah. More expensive, but super reliable...

Yeah, I figure I will be ok though and I really don't have the money to spend around $500 on two drives. Appreciate the help though.

So my original question still stands, which of the two should I grab?

clav

Have a WHSv1 setup. Today is the end of life date.

Looking at alternatives.

What are my options?

1. Upgrade to a Windows Home Server 2011 which eols in 2016.

2. Upgrade to a Windows Server 2012 Essentials setup. Problem is one license is super expensive.

3. ???

Suggestions? I'm looking for a machine that can centralize backup clients and make backups of shared data on a network.

Looking at alternatives.

What are my options?

2. Upgrade to a Windows Server 2012 Essentials setup. Problem is one license is super expensive.

3. ???

Suggestions? I'm looking for a machine that can centralize backup clients and make backups of shared data on a network.

I'm in a similar boat. Considering going with a Synology setup in the near future, but I like having a full-blown Windows box to RDP into when away from home.

Bboy AJ

I'm enjoying my Synology because of the community. There are a bunch of apps from third parties and Synology themselves.

kehs

Banned
I'm enjoying my Synology because of the community. There are a bunch of apps from third parties and Synology themselves.

Which model did you end up getting?

I'm thinking of retiring my old readynas, and moving to a more active NAS for work.

Bboy AJ

Which model did you end up getting?

I'm thinking of retiring my old readynas, and moving to a more active NAS for work.

Ds411j. It's a bit slow, which I thought wouldn't matter. But it matters when moving files, unzipping or compressing. It's fine, though. Pretty happy with it.

Nobility

Banned
I want a Synology DS412+ so bad but it's so expensive, hopefully a refresh can come out soon and I can save some money.

tw1164

Looking at alternatives.

What are my options?

3. ???

You can also use windows 8 as a home server. I think this is the route I'm going to take when my WHS1 box dies

clav

You can also use windows 8 as a home server. I think this is the route I'm going to take when my WHS1 box dies

I thought about this one for a while.

The details for this are a bit unclear for me though.

Does that mean I will have to create a local user or Windows account user for this machine?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'd love to get something like this set up at some point in the future when I can properly invest in it, don't know whether it's worthwhile doing things in small measures.

tw1164

I thought about this one for a while.

The details for this are a bit unclear for me though.

Does that mean I will have to create a local user or Windows account user for this machine?

I'm not entirely sure. Unless you have all win 8 machines you would to keep your files centrally located on the windows 8 box to use storage spaces/file history. If you're not using windows 8 on the clients you could just run nightly backups.

methane47

I was just looking at NAS's yesterday. But man they are soo expensive. I need a cheap NAS solution that works with Sick Beard

Any thoughts?

clav

I'm not entirely sure. Unless you have all win 8 machines you would to keep your files centrally located on the windows 8 box to use storage spaces/file history. If you're not using windows 8 on the clients you could just run nightly backups.

How would you backup though? There is no active directory since it's not a server.

Seems like you would have to use a tool like SyncToy that runs on a schedule to the storage pool.

clav

I've been looking at this board as my new server setup. I won't do any transcoding, so CPU power is not a big deal. The focus is a system that is always on 24/7 that uses a lot less electricity than a light bulb.

jHn2D.jpg

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/C60M1I/

6 SATA ports. Low idle and power use states (15 watt max). Passive cooling.

Maybe I should wait for AMD Kabini or Temash and build this later.

My current server setup uses 100 Watts at all times.

Dereck

I kind of skimmed this thread and I'm lost. Where can I find a device that's as simple as the Drobo, better than the Drobo, but costs less than the Drobo?

Bboy AJ

This is what you bought right?

EDIT: Bought
I think the model I own is the older version. All I know is that Synology is very well respected and the software support is great. Installing stuff on the NAS itself and getting apps for your phone is awesome.

RayStorm

I have been thinking about a NAS for a fairly long time now. Mainly because I'm very annoyed by the noise my HDDs produce. So putting them in the cellar, where I almost never am and being able to access the contents sounds like a reasonable idea.

What I'd like to do:
-) Cost less than 300€ (I'm not averse to assembling it myself, but what OS to use?)
-) Allow certain people to only access certain folders/drives.
-) Accessing it by Windows XP, Vista, 7, Xbox 360, PS3, Android, Sony Smart TV and in the future an A/V Receiver.
-) Have it spin down the drives when not in use, and go in complete standyby when nothing is connected to the NAS.
-) Use the 6 SATA HDDs of varying sizes I have right now
-) BitTorrent Client
-) Backing up certain folders/files to an external USB/eSATA HDD.

Thank you for your input.

Whooter

I've got a Synology DS413j I'm getting ready to populate.

What are the recommended HDDs? I'm looking at 3 or 4 x 1.5 or 2 TB drives to start with...

Want to stay as close to $100/drive as possible...

gokieks

I've got a Synology DS413j I'm getting ready to populate.

What are the recommended HDDs? I'm looking at 3 or 4 x 1.5 or 2 TB drives to start with...

Want to stay as close to $100/drive as possible...

WD Reds are designed for NAS environments, and by most indications are quite good in that role. They're fairly new though, and so doesn't have quite the same amount of data to determine reliability, but the first rule of any HDD used to store important data is and always will be that you should always operate with the assumption that they can die at any given time regardless of what brand or model, and set up proper redundancy and backups based off that assumption.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are recommendations for a 4-bay NAS, ideally something that is easy to admin and can run a sabnzbd client

I have an unraid 5-bay microserver and one drive is on the way out, but its a pain to administer because its all command line stuff and I often get issues with permissions. Can't be arsed with it all any more, I'll pay more to have something that needs less effort :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
What are recommendations for a 4-bay NAS, ideally something that is easy to admin and can run a sabnzbd client

I have an unraid 5-bay microserver and one drive is on the way out, but its a pain to administer because its all command line stuff and I often get issues with permissions. Can't be arsed with it all any more, I'll pay more to have something that needs less effort :)

what is sabnzbd?

I have this bad boy
http://go.iomega.com/en/products/ne...4-px6/px4-300d/?partner=4735#overviewItem_tab

and it's hilarious because I had a 250 euro model that had 2 drives and kept crapping out. they sent me this thing and it's worth almost 3x as much. it's AMAZE. it's powered by EMC tech as well apparently and those guys know what they are up to.

Ambitious

I'm thinking about getting a NAS and a HTPC soon. Or maybe only the HTPC, but I'd prefer a modular setup of independent components.

I have no idea about which NAS to buy, though. I need at least 2TB, preferably 3. I want to use it for Time Machine backups and streaming media to my Mac. (As I've said, I'll get a HTPC anyway so I can stream to my iOS devices and watch stuff on the TV as well)
Also, I'd like to have secure remote access (reading/writing).

What about the Synology DiskStation 112+? Seems to be decent?

I'm just confused about this:
File System
  • EXT4
  • EXT3 (External Disk Only)
  • FAT (External Disk Only)
  • NTFS (External Disk Only)

Why only ext4? Can't I reformat the disk?

Top Bottom