• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thing about most fee-free cards is that you often just get a shittier exchange rate in return for not having the additional fee appear on your statement.

http://www.xe.com/creditcard-charges-calculator/ will help work out what you are actually paying. I tried this comparing two cards that i had- one with a forex fee and without and lo and behold they were basically charging me the same.

getting charged foreign exchange fees for aussie PSN is really, really shitty.

thing about most fee-free cards is that you often just get a shittier exchange rate in return for not having the additional fee appear on your statement.

http://www.xe.com/creditcard-charges-calculator/ will help work out what you are actually paying. I tried this comparing two cards that i had- one with a forex fee and without and lo and behold they were basically charging me the same.

getting charged foreign exchange fees for aussie PSN is really, really shitty.
Yeah the bolded is what I can't abide. I'm getting charged a foreign transaction fee for buying things off the Australian PlayStation Store, in AUD, with my Australian credit card, in Australia.

Roulette

NewcastleGAF; what's there to do around here?

I'm staying for an unenviable amount of time and I can't in good conscience spend the rest of it huddled infront of a monitor playing R6 all day.

P.S. Your bike lanes are cool.

If you don't like the beach, there's not much.

Blackbutt Reserve - go see native animals (for free)
Charlestown Square/Westfield Kotara - our biggest malls
ANZAC Walk - nice little walk over the beach (very short)
Great North Walk - long walk through bush
Darby Street - coffee and food
Queen's Wharf Tower - looks like a willy

ramyeon

The ANZAC Walk is really nice around sunset, visited Newcastle the other week.
zFcrEXo.jpg

r1chard

re 28 degress, looks like there is quite a lot of sneaky fees now.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/285477

I've been looking around for cards for my korea trip and was about to apply for one until I read that. Settled on bankwest zero platinum and a citibank plus now.

For what it's worth, I've been using a Bankwest Platinum Mastercard for a couple of years now. Zero international transaction fees and a very competitive currency conversion rate.

Shaneus

EB has just released another batch of the NES Classic on their web store. Just managed to nab one for RRP + shipping (which is still better than the prices they're going for on eBay).

Don't get excited. I believe they're all gone again. Who would have thought that Nintendo would eventually take on a business model where none of their current platforms are readily available at most stores...

jambo

Don't get excited. I believe they're all gone again. Who would have thought that Nintendo would eventually take on a business model where none of their current platforms are readily available at most stores...

Lasted way longer than everyone expected.

Kinda good that they didn't announce it. A few mates on FB managed to nab one.

My time visiting Aus is up and back to the UK till my next visit home. Stay ausgaffy, Ausgaf.

Saw a shop selling a six pack of Timtams at the airport for $24. Airport? Air rort more like.

Lasted way longer than everyone expected.

Kinda good that they didn't announce it. A few mates on FB managed to nab one.
Their distribution practices are insane. I heard on a podcast that (one of) the host's local game store would randomly get 1 or 2 Classics every week or so. Random days. Random amounts. No rhyme, no reason. You just had to turn up at the time that the store would receive their daily shipments and they'd just find out if they got one (or two!!). I literally cannot fathom how a company as large and as experienced as Nintendo arrives at this model at this point in their existence.

Recreat3

Anyone here chucking a sickie from work for the Switch Presentation on friday?

Thought about it but i chucked a sickie last friday haha..i was actually sick. Ill probably just hide in the toilet for 20 minutes once its finished and see what the go is. If i like it ill instantly pre order.

Shaneus

Nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that.
And customisation. And ease of use. Given I basically bought a RasPi for emulation, it's a bitch to setup and have running exactly how one might want. Even though the Classic/Mini is only one console, I can literally plug it in and play.

Plus, I can customise the ROMs on it, too.

Anyone here chucking a sickie from work for the Switch Presentation on friday?
I haven't really been following any Switch news, can anyone bring me up to speed with what we know so far? I have a vague understanding that you can take a limited version of the console away as a portable device... what do we know about tech specs and announced software/third party support so far?

I haven't really been following any Switch news, can anyone bring me up to speed with what we know so far? I have a vague understanding that you can take a limited version of the console away as a portable device... what do we know about tech specs and announced software/third party support so far?
Tech specs - It uses a mobile chipset that runs with no fans. Don't expect a powerhouse, but it has modern enough architecture.

Third party support: A bunch of logos but no game announcements . As successor to both the 3DS and Vita Japanese developers are likely to back it big. As for Western support... lol . Nintendo have announced Zelda and teased Mario

So yeah, your typical Nintendo system.

And customisation. And ease of use. Given I basically bought a RasPi for emulation, it's a bitch to setup and have running exactly how one might want. Even though the Classic/Mini is only one console, I can literally plug it in and play.

Plus, I can customise the ROMs on it, too.

You could grab a more customisable, more versatile ROM machine from eBay for half the price though. Doesn't look as nice but just as easy to use.

Tech specs - It uses a mobile chipset that runs with no fans. Don't expect a powerhouse, but it has modern enough architecture.

Third party support: A bunch of logos but no game announcements . As successor to both the 3DS and Vita Japanese developers are likely to back it big. As for Western support... lol . Nintendo have announced Zelda and teased Mario

So yeah, your typical Nintendo system.
Cheers. I've never owned a Nintendo console or a portable so I don't think I'm the target demographic anyway.

Cheers. I've never owned a Nintendo console or a portable so I don't think I'm the target demographic anyway.
You buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo's games, which are consistently among the best that the industry has to offer. If you don't like their games though, well, there's always other systems.

Plus Japanese games, these days, especially RPGs.

Shaneus

You could grab a more customisable, more versatile ROM machine from eBay for half the price though. Doesn't look as nice but just as easy to use.
Ease of use and compatibility. Plus, for half the price you're probably not getting a decent controller to use as well.

Happy with my purchase, will come in handy when babysitting nephews.

You buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo's games, which are consistently among the best that the industry has to offer. If you don't like their games though, well, there's always other systems.

Plus Japanese games, these days, especially RPGs.
The closest I ever came to buying a Nintendo console was actually for a Capcom game (Resident Evil 4): that game looked amazing and I followed it closely from the moment it was announced. When they revealed it was coming to PS2 as well though I shelved the idea of buying a Gamecube, and it seems like since that time Nintendo have been moving away from those sorts of games... which are the games that I want to play! Their first party offerings aren't really up my alley, although you never know if they'll decide to change direction. It'll be interesting to see the third party situation with Switch, but the lower level hardware/portable focus probably mean it's not for me.

Rahk

Are you doing the eigo teaching? What's up?

I bought a small PC for less than AUD $1000 (I think it worked out to like $700) while I was there, and also had my Wii U, as well as my Vita and 3DS. All worthwhile. I could have survived just on the PC and a portable console I think, but it was nice having the Wii U as well - played a lot of Bayo, Bayo 2, and Splatoon.
Nah, wife needs to finish her course here so I'm tagging along. I'm working remotely for now but not sure if they'll keep me on for that long, so might need to transition to eigo teaching at some point.

re 28 degress, looks like there is quite a lot of sneaky fees now.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/285477

I've been looking around for cards for my korea trip and was about to apply for one until I read that. Settled on bankwest zero platinum and a citibank plus now.

For what it's worth, I've been using a Bankwest Platinum Mastercard for a couple of years now. Zero international transaction fees and a very competitive currency conversion rate.
I use the same. Citibank Plus is great for withdrawing from ATMs overseas or sending money as there's no fees.

Cerity

so i have to say i can recomend this chair so far so good and the middle isnt plasterd in PU leather so wont wear out anywere near as quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyHPMsZXnMI

url for the chair is in the bottom of that video - wasint sure if i should just directly link to it ?

not me and not my video but thats how i found out about it

If anyone is after these chairs, you can get them for $105 delivered with the CSITE20 coupon.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ergonomi...-Made-GREEN-/132015922052?hash=item1ebcc31b84

Jumped on it as soon I saw the seller joining in on the coupon.

when I think of stools for arcade machines (particularly cocktail cabinets), this is what comes to mind (it's really hard to find photo examples, BTW)

Vintage-Blue-CAROMA-Game-Stool-Classic-70s.jpg

It's a tad warm.

not glad I missed 35 degrees plus weather in Brisbane this week. Snow warnings here and airport closures the day after I arrived back in the UK so kinda lucky.

when I think of stools for arcade machines (particularly cocktail cabinets), this is what comes to mind (it's really hard to find photo examples, BTW)

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/152327221153_/Vintage-Blue-CAROMA-Game-Stool-Classic-70s

not glad I missed 35 degrees plus weather in Brisbane this week. Snow warnings here and airport closures the day after I arrived back in the UK so kinda lucky.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a typical winters day in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom