• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Websense. Google Talk is now blocked (and GAF was blocked too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Google Talk for about 3 years to chat with friends and family while at work. Today Websense decided to block that, too. Luckily I found [B]http://webuzztogether.com/[/B] as a workaround, except it sucks. I downloaded Your Freedom, but I'm not quite sure how it works or how it can help me use Google Talk.

As for GAF, you can just use this URL to access GAF at work.

Any tips or anything? I'm so sick of being treated like a child. I'll probably eventually need a hall pass to use the bathroom in this fucking place.

And please keep the "how about you just work at work?" bullshit out of here. I am in no mood.

jorma

is now taking requests
Do you have remote desktop installed? Use that to connect to your home computer and surf from that. You can set it to any port. I do it because i dont really need my employer to know what i do online.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
You know, you should not install outside software on company computers. just saying.

I feel your pain, google talk is disabled on my work pc as well.

Fireye said:
Learn to love ssh proxying.
how to?

jorma said:
Do you have remote desktop installed? Use that to connect to your home computer and surf from that. You can set it to any port. I do it because i dont really need my employer to know what i do online.
don't really want to leave my computer on all day and evening when I play games

Fireye

The Lamonster said:

If you have a host that you can ssh to, generally they'll allow SSH Proxying (By default, openssh allows it, but you can restrict it).

Setting up the proxy:
1) Download putty, if you don't want to install software, save to usb key and run from there
2) Run putty, type in ssh host to connect to, then navigate to Connection --> SSH --> Tunnels on the lefthand menus
3) Type in a source port (something nonstandard, like 1861 or something), and click the Dynamic button
4) Click Add, and then Open to start the ssh connection.

Configuring your browser:
1) In your browser's network settings, go to the area where you can specify your proxy
2) Set your proxy to localhost, on the port you set up earlier
3) Set the proxy settings to use socks4/5 (either should work, IIRC), and apply the setting
4) Visit www.whatismyip.com to verify you're coming from a non-work IP

Now, you'll have issues with accessing corp internal only websites, but if you use firefox or chrome you can bypass that. Look up FoxyProxy and ProxySwitchy respectively to set up whitelist/blacklist rules of on what websites you want to use the proxy.

Fireye said:
If you have a host that you can ssh to, generally they'll allow SSH Proxying (By default, openssh allows it, but you can restrict it).

Setting up the proxy:
1) Download putty, if you don't want to install software, save to usb key and run from there
2) Run putty, type in ssh host to connect to, then navigate to Connection --> SSH --> Tunnels on the lefthand menus
3) Type in a source port (something nonstandard, like 1861 or something), and click the Dynamic button
4) Click Add, and then Open to start the ssh connection.

Configuring your browser:
1) In your browser's network settings, go to the area where you can specify your proxy
2) Set your proxy to localhost, on the port you set up earlier
3) Set the proxy settings to use socks4/5 (either should work, IIRC), and apply the setting
4) Visit www.whatismyip.com to verify you're coming from a non-work IP

Now, you'll have issues with accessing corp internal only websites, but if you use firefox or chrome you can bypass that. Look up FoxyProxy and ProxySwitchy respectively to set up whitelist/blacklist rules of on what websites you want to use the proxy.
Where can I find this info? Thanks

jorma said:

This is what I do especially since they "spot check" activity. I use logmein for remoting in. Works fine.

sangreal

I VPN to my house to get around websense and other BS monitoring. Your company likely would not approve.

I then set the routing table to direct all internet traffic through my house while everything else goes through corporate network

joelseph

The Lamonster said:
Is it really that healthy to leave a computer on for 12-16 hrs a day?

The computer will be fine, just remember to set power savings settings to save your electrical bill!

The Lamonster said:

Plenty fine for the computer, but obviously you may notice the additional power consumption on your electric bill depending on the PC. For this purpose, I have a low power home server that I remote/ssh to from work. No reason you can't remote into a Nettop or other ultra low power (less than 25W) computer though.

jorma

is now taking requests
The Lamonster said:

Not for the electricity bill i guess. But my computer is on 24/7, and has been since i bought it two years ago. The one before that ran for 5 years straight in a similar fashion.

malsumis

Valkyr Junkie said:
Plenty fine for the computer, but obviously you may notice the additional power consumption on your electric bill depending on the PC. For this purpose, I have a low power home server that I remote/ssh to from work. No reason you can't remote into a Nettop or other ultra low power (less than 25W) computer though.
Or just get a shell account for cheapo.

Fireye

The Lamonster said:

I left my computer on for 24 hours a day, for about 3 years, without any problems. The only parts that might have issues would be the hard drive, but really in the lifespan of a normal harddrive, it's ok.

Didn't realize I didn't specify you needed to have a server to ssh into. Maybe someone on here will be kind enough to set you up with a ssh account. I'd do it, but the box I proxy through isn't mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom