• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 - I bought items that were removed by 2K and they will not give me a refund

That is beyond ridiculous, they aren't even giving out real money. They obviously put up barriers to discourage you from following through... damn they almost got to keep their 20K fake money lol. Corporate greed has gotten so out of hand this day and age, its downright depressing.
Oh it’s not fake money, I paid for that VC. But hey, I need all of your help, I tweeted my issue to 2K, Phil Spencer, Ronnie 2K, Major Nelson, etc and need help getting retweets so my messages can be seen. Here is my tweet

https://twitter.com/sinrone/status/938144621397291014

KingV

This is totally garbage.

They should just give you twice what you spent because... who really cares? It’s just funny money.

Oh it’s not fake money, I paid for that VC. But hey, I need all of your help, I tweeted my issue to 2K, Phil Spencer, Ronnie 2K, Major Nelson, etc and need help getting retweets so my messages can be seen. Here is my tweet

https://twitter.com/sinrone/status/938144621397291014

Ya on your end absolutely but you've already paid that. I meant to them, if they made it up to you like they should have, they would have given you a more reasonable amount of fake money since it costs them absolutely sweet zero fuck all.

Ya on your end absolutely but you've already paid that. I meant to them, if they made it up to you like they should have, they would have given you a more reasonable amount of fake money since it costs them absolutely sweet zero fuck all.
True, it's not like I wouldn't turn around and re-spend it in the game. This fucks me up because this is the only game I have been playing hardcore for a while. My son also plays with me and we tear shit up lol. People trip out when they find out my 12 year old son is my point guard. We also play with my brother in laws so we have a really great time but this... this has basically taken that from me. I don't want to keep playing this game after this but I've spent soooo much time an money to get to the level I am at.

I still haven't heard back from any of the websites or Xbox employees. I am now trying to contact the companies such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Bape, Supreme, NFL, NCAA, etc. to inform them of my problem. I told them that NBA 2K18 was illegally selling virtual items with their logos and making a profit off of this. I also told them that once they removed these items they refuse to give refunds so they are pocketing money from the unauthorized sale of their brands..... I doubt this will help but I am trying to find a way to escalate this issue to get more people to speak up.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I still haven't heard back from any of the websites or Xbox employees. I am now trying to contact the companies such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Bape, Supreme, NFL, NCAA, etc. to inform them of my problem. I told them that NBA 2K18 was illegally selling virtual items with their logos and making a profit off of this. I also told them that once they removed these items they refuse to give refunds so they are pocketing money from the unauthorized sale of their brands..... I doubt this will help but I am trying to find a way to escalate this issue to get more people to speak up.

I really like that idea :)

About the Jim Sterling thing he usually mentions being pestered by people on Twitter whenever there's a new 'industry bullshit' issue and this definitely falls in to that.

They are still resetting haircuts etc. when you are changing your player appearance so you have to buy them again.

I also lost 10k VC through a calculation bug when vc the was added after an nba game. The game simply subtracted 10k VC instead adding the earned ~900 VC. I recorded that, contacted support with the video proof and as of today they are still insisting on this being a "visual glitch", the VC should have been calculated correctly. They have NOT, Ive never got these 10k back.

2k is simply the worst game developer Ive ever dealt with.

After posting this on twitter others are now opening tickets for shirts they have lost. Some dude said he had 175 shirts but he hasn’t checked to see if anything is missing yet.... feel sorry for that dude

autoduelist

I get that this is bad form, but people are totally overreacting in here. This isn't 'disgusting' or 'scum bag' or anything like that. It's an issue, sure, but nobody is being 'shady'.

Removing copyrighted material when found is pretty standard. In fact, it's their -only- recourse when someone violates a copyright. This happens anywhere people can create content, and as long as the company removes it when flagged, they're generally in the right. Most likely their terms say you can't -buy- OR -sell- copyrighted, vulgar, or racist material. [and for good reason, discussed later]

Now you ask, why don't they give a full refund? Because if they didn't 'punish' both buyers -and- sellers, then people could just keep reposting copyrighted material and OP can just keep buying it, getting full refunds as soon as it's removed and then just buy the next copy put up. Full refunds not just allow, but encourage, copyrighted material. So they don't do full refunds, but if someone asks, they try to 'make it right'. I realize this isn't perfect, and OP is out money... but if you look at it from their perspective, it makes a bit more sense -why- it happens this way.

They should probably give a full refund for the first violation, and then never again. That would be a better solution. Though in this case, they did sort of try to do that, by giving 10k, which covers one violation with a nice bonus for your trouble. The problem is, in this case, the OP bought over 10 things that violated copyright. So it's a kind of rare case. They probably should have covered that whole amount and been done with it, and then said 'never again'. But it's hardly 'scumbag' behavior.

I get that this is bad form, but people are totally overreacting in here. This isn't 'disgusting' or 'scum bag' or anything like that. It's an issue, sure, but nobody is being 'shady'.

Removing copyrighted material when found is pretty standard. In fact, it's their -only- recourse when someone violates a copyright. This happens anywhere people can create content, and as long as the company removes it when flagged, they're generally in the right. Most likely their terms say you can't -buy- OR -sell- copyrighted, vulgar, or racist material. [and for good reason, discussed later]

Now you ask, why don't they give a full refund? Because if they didn't 'punish' both buyers -and- sellers, then people could just keep reposting copyrighted material and OP can just keep buying it, getting full refunds as soon as it's removed and then just buy the next copy put up. Full refunds not just allow, but encourage, copyrighted material. So they don't do full refunds, but if someone asks, they try to 'make it right'. I realize this isn't perfect, and OP is out money... but if you look at it from their perspective, it makes a bit more sense -why- it happens this way.

They should probably give a full refund for the first violation, and then never again. That would be a better solution. Though in this case, they did sort of try to do that, by giving 10k, which covers one violation with a nice bonus for your trouble. The problem is, in this case, the OP bought over 10 things that violated copyright. So it's a kind of rare case. They probably should have covered that whole amount and been done with it, and then said 'never again'. But it's hardly 'scumbag' behavior.
Except they let these designs pass through inspection and sold them knowing they violated copyright. Why should I be punished for buying something they allowed to be sold? Also, you are saying it is right for them to pocket the money of illegally sold goods?

Update: Kotaku has responded to my email and are looking into it! Hopefully they pick up on this story and bring this issue to light

MC Safety

I would contact the Better Business Bureau.

The Web site has a complaint form and the Bureau will contact 2K to try and resolve the issue.

https://www.bbb.org/

You'll need 2K's address. It's in Novato, if I recall correctly.

Gita Jackson from Kotaku posted a story about this today, she used me as an example but had multiple errors in her story so I don't know how much help this will be.

"One player who reached out to Kotaku was able to get a shirt refunded for his shirts, but said that he only got 10,000 VC, the price of about three shirts, when he says he paid for 10 shirts total at 3,500 VC each."

https://kotaku.com/nba-2k18-is-taking-down-custom-shirts-depicting-real-br-1821052799

k91191

Gita Jackson from Kotaku posted a story about this today, she used me as an example but had multiple errors in her story so I don't know how much help this will be.

"One player who reached out to Kotaku was able to get a shirt refunded for his shirts, but said that he only got 10,000 VC, the price of about three shirts, when he says he paid for 10 shirts total at 3,500 VC each."

https://kotaku.com/nba-2k18-is-taking-down-custom-shirts-depicting-real-br-1821052799

Yikes! That story is atrociously written.

It’s not really that simple because you have to buy VC in allotments of $5, $10, $20, $50 or $100, not per item. So I’m sure my credit card company wouldn’t be able to refund me for individual items purchased

So do a chargeback for one of those allotments, however much you paid.

So do a chargeback for one of those allotments, however much you paid.

I bought VC for other things such as leveling up and boost, I just happened to have VC left over so I bought shirts. I won't contact my CC company over this, it's not really about the money spent, it's the shadty business tactics they are using. I am not the only one affected in my household over this, my son also lost shirts and he doesn't have his own money, he has my money and he's a kid so he won't complain to 2K for lost VC...

BANGS

Banned
Not that I am aware of, I didn’t see anything in the store that warns you of buying shirts that may infringe on copyrighted material

It's EA, I'm sure there was some sort of agreement when you started playing the game protecting them from situations like this...

I would ask EA for a copy of said agreement...

Crazy.... after all this blew up they are giving me a full refund smh

Danny L., Dec 6, 16:39 EST:
Hey there Lakers,

I understand how upsetting it is to lose your hard-earned VC for no reason.
It is with much regret that I must inform you once more that we cannot provide additional compensation in regards to this issue.
However, I see that you previously had to wait quite a bit earlier. For this, I have added 25,000 VC to the balance of your account as a thanks for your patience.
I would like to apologize again for any inconveniences the custom shirts may have caused you.

As there seems to be no additional issues at this current moment, we will be marking this ticket as solved.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at 2K Support once more if you should ever run into future problems, or have any questions you'd like to ask.

Best wishes,

Danny L.
2K Support

I'm happy to hear that the issue is getting some traction! Good on you for being persistent and standing up for yourself!

If it were my game, I would have confirmed the issue, and then refunded you fully, and also given you some kind of special shirt to commemorate the occasion "My other shirt was vaporized"

Waiting till you publically called them out, and then refunding you as a "thanks for your patience" is still pretty weak.

Nester99

I am glad you got some of your VC back but its BS that they did not even admit they where wrong and only admitted they refunded you for "your patience"

I am going to use my "patience" and hold off on buying any of their products.

I'm happy to hear that the issue is getting some traction! Good on you for being persistent and standing up for yourself!

If it were my game, I would have confirmed the issue, and then refunded you fully, and also given you some kind of special shirt to commemorate the occasion "My other shirt was vaporized"

Nothing good comes of treating your players like garbage and acting like some crazy mafia guy, who takes all your clothes and offers you a pair of 70's short shorts in exchange!
Lol thanks. I just think it’s ridiculous that I had to go through this to get a measly 35K VC... now I need to open a ticket for my sons lost shirts 🤦🏻*♂️

I am glad you got some of your VC back but its BS that they did not even admit they where wrong and only admitted they refunded you for "your patience"

I am going to use my "patience" and hold off on buying any of their products.
Lol you’re right, they didn’t admit to being wrong

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Just brutal, you had to publicly shame them to get it back.

They also didn't lose anything either. They simply gave you more funny money, not real money. They are out nothing but a few clicks. Just silly.

Well, I won't be buying any of their games after this for sure.

Just brutal, you had to publicly shame them to get it back.

They also didn't lose anything either. They simply gave you more funny money, not real money. They are out nothing but a few clicks. Just silly.

Well, I won't be buying any of their games after this for sure.
I’m sure a lot more people will request a refund now that this story is out. People I talked to only thought the shirts from the kiosk were gone and didn’t even notice they were missing from their inventory. Hopefully this blows up so everyone can get their money back

rsnl

Neo Member
If you buy fake/stolen goods you dont get reimbursed, in fact police will impound them and you are out of luck

If you buy fake/stolen goods you dont get reimbursed, in fact police will impound them and you are out of luck

True but in this case the people confiscating the fake/stolen goods are the same people that sold it to you.

Its a perfect crime. Pocket the money and rescind access to the user after the fact to comply with copyright laws.

Jigga

We are very aware and knowledgeable when it comes to licensing on Gaf. So for anyone on Gaf to spend money on bootleg virtual tees is funny to me. U should kno better

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
It's EA, I'm sure there was some sort of agreement when you started playing the game protecting them from situations like this...

I would ask EA for a copy of said agreement...

The Publisher is 2K, Not EA.

The Game is NBA 2K18...

Why not just refund your virtual currency right away? Seems like such an obvious move here that takes no money out of their pocket and preserves goodwill with the customer.

Why would a company disrespect a paying customer to that degree over...nothing?

Top Bottom