• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz-Hop & Instrumental Hip-Hop |OT| - R.I.P. Nujabes

IrishNinja

moMQQ.jpg

Between GAF-Hop, the Recommend instrumental hip-hop thread, and the last Nujabes album, i felt there was no one go-to thread for this kind've music, so here it is!
Bear in mind: i'm aware we're sort've blending some genres here, some of this definitely crosses over with experimental, trip-hop, downtempo, urban jazz and tons of other sub-genres, but i do feel there's common themes here (modal, nujabes sound etc) so i'll try to stick within those but feel free to dance around them (some are gonna have lyrics, etc).

Intro & Nujabes sampler

my first introduction to this kind've thing was Pete Rock's Petestrumentals:

Petestrumentals.jpg

Pete's Jazz

The Boss

Play dis only at night

Presumably, like many of you, i only knew this was a thing and came to really love it when Samurai Champloo introduced me to Nujabes.

rbyrI.jpg

Nujabes - Another Reflection

Fat Jon - Darkness

Fat Jon - How you feel

Nujabes - Reflection Eternal

Nujabes - Mystline

Fat Jon - Kissed in shadow

from here, i explored everything i could find of their label, Hydeout Productions, where i found my next favorite artist, Uyama Hiroto.

SmOsZ.jpg

Stratus

Ribbon in the sea

81st Summer

...and from there, ive tried to check out every associated act, from Substantial, Himuki, Michita and the like.
i realize there's a lot of head-nodding from those familiar with these names & tracks i linked, i just wanted to set it up for those who didn't know them by name or weren't exposed to them; they're very much not mainstream outside of some corners of GAF.

some more eclectic stuff, since there's plenty of quality to be found outside of Hydeout:

Various Jazz-Hop sampler

Kenichiro Nishihara - Heart feat. Substantial

Blazo - Essential Violet

Dr. Who Dat? - Brazilian Thought

Nomak - Anger of the Earth

Michita - Alleguro

Kenmochi Hidefumi - Falliccia

Flying Lotus - message situation

Sound Providers - Jazz at the Cove

Emancipator - With rainy eyes

Thallus - Here is the life

Prefuse 73 - choking you

DJ Mitsu The Beats - Night In Vienna

Madlib - Slim's Return

khaderbai - wintertime

DJ Cam Quartet - New York, New York

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBQGOpK2bI"]Oddisee - Clara Barton
[/URL]

Panacea - Blue Oceanwave

Kenichiro Nishihara - rain falls (ft. kissey asplund)

INI - Grown Man's Sport

Michita - [One] Metronome

Jemapur - Beneath The Water Surface

DJ Okawari - Bluebird Story (feat. Jumelles)

Jusoul - SumAUTUMN

Badbadnotgood

Pirahnahead - Inner Turmoil

Parov Stelar - Catgroove

Brooklyn Funk Essentials - Take The L Train (To Brooklyn)

Jazzanova - Morning Scapes

Rae & Christian - Not Just Anybody feat. Kate Rogers (Atjazz Flugelhorn Remix)

...i know that's a lotta stuff with a great many names, just try them as you please & check out more from those artists! so much quality to be found.

NeoGAF's Jazz-Hop & Instrumentals @ Spotify!

Ok, here we go!

http://open.spotify.com/user/walbertosmith/playlist/2QhhSDwXnZLAciNfA7kg6T

Fully collaborative playlist on spotify! I went through the first page and added everything that's on spotify, and will continue through the rest of this thread today. I didn't include full albums though, just individual songs.

Please feel free to contribute! Remember, everyone has full add/delete privileges so if you don't like a song just skip it instead of deleting it, because someone out there enjoys it. If you've already suggested something in this thread but don't see it in the playlist, just be patient, I'll add it eventually. :)

Bandcamp Essentials! - free streams on the links!

Emancipator

Thallus

Jenova 7 - Dusted Jazz vol 2

LJones - Soul Below

Throavium said:

Quick & dirty F.A.Q.

Q. How do I support these artists?

A. Some are native to the US - Sound Providers, Madlib, etc; stuff like Nujabes & that camp have to be imported for a high price - but it's worth it! Itunes is also an option; I'll post more as I come across them.
also, groups like Emancipator, Thallus & others i've listed have bandcamp pages - be sure to check those out! you can stream directly from the site, buy them for cheap (if not free) and directly support the sound!

Q. How many tribute albums have been done for Nujabes?

A. i know of 3, i wanna say 4? almost all of them are good too, i can get into that in a later post if someone else doesn't.

Q. I'm more about the boom-bap. What you got?

A. I really dug Nicolay - City Lights Volume 1.5, but really, a lot've great producers (Premier, Rock, Large Professor, Alchemist etc) have instrumental albums about too.

Q. What about mashups?

A. There's a ton on youtube, but really, you only gotta hear Mobb Deep & Sigur Ros - Shook. It goes together way better than it should.

Q. I hurred there was Nujabes documentary!

A. An Eternal Soul - I very much can't wait for it, and the OST, Word is Bond, is already out! No date yet, but that link's blog had a recent update showing work done, so hopefully soon. I'll try to update this when more info drops.

Q. Irish, what do you label all this shit as in your music directory?

A. I don't know who coined Jazz-hop, but that works for me, even when it barely sounds like either is present, heh. Really, you can name it "shit i vibe too like i'm bogey in a rainy noir flick" and i think it works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

more to come! next time: Musrhoom Jazz, Himuki, mindthings, Mellow Beats, Friends & lovers, some Thievery Corporation (why not?), and DJ Shadow somewhere.

edit great catchup post by Jaroof:

also, much love to Ourobolus for this excellent google doc catch-all!

Woohoo! Done. Well, at least until you guys contribute more to the thread...

Anyway, up to this post:

139 BandCamp/Soundclouds (I may be missing some though)
514 Individual Tracks to listen to (mostly YouTube)
371 Albums to download (mostly Bandcamp)
- 197 Albums are either Free or "Name Your Price"

Please use this link if you would like to add to it, make comments, whatever.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai9lM4qXiU6ddGR5NFVSMkZMUmdhMkQ2SmJWOHFfV1E&usp=sharing

IrishNinja

thanks captain, i could use the help! for the sampler, i tried to grab stuff i dug, but a few of them were kinda random too, may not be the best choices & i'd hate to see someone walk past a diverse body of work because i went with a weak track.

and yeah, anything you got for the OP, hit me up like always! it's kind've sloppy, i know.

Throavium said:
So is the OP open to suggestions?

always.

damn i wish i could just copy or merge stuff with the instrumental hip-hop thread, it was good while it was going, lotta gems in there. half of what i posted i prolly found around it.

IrishNinja

ajf009 said:
I'm wondering if some of M.F. Doom's Special Herbs could fit into this category

absolutely! i'm still working my way through those, can't believe there's 10 volumes, heh.

Throavium

IrishNinja said:
thanks captain, i could use the help! for the sampler, i tried to grab stuff i dug, but a few of them were kinda random too, may not be the best choices & i'd hate to see someone walk past a diverse body of work because i went with a weak track.

and yeah, anything you got for the OP, hit me up like always! it's kind've sloppy, i know.

always.

damn i wish i could just copy or merge stuff with the instrumental hip-hop thread, it was good while it was going, lotta gems in there. half of what i posted i prolly found around it.
I've got a big post coming up.

nns3d

Definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread. I remember listening to part of the Petestrumentals album, I'll probably try and finish it off later today.

IrishNinja

glad to see some familiar faces, and some new ones too.

pretty sure we're allowed to post this? this page has all kinds've unreleased Nujabes mixtapes i never even heard of; will post back on after running though them another time.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
IrishNinja said:
glad to see some familiar faces, and some new ones too.

pretty sure we're allowed to post this? this page has all kinds've unreleased Nujabes mixtapes i never even heard of; will post back on after running though them another time.
Just cross-checked this list with my Nujabes collection - got em all! This is a good list though.

IrishNinja

i was missing a few loose tracks on some singles, and that sticky mixtape thing - that's it, but it did make me google a tracklist for Ristorante mixtape, i had that thing all untagged forever.

great stuff OP, i live for this kinda shit

my contributions:
"Puzzles" - Y Society

We Got It (JAPAN)

i remember posting this on the regular gaf-hop thread a long time ago, but i think its more appropriate for this thread

check out:
- mad28
- contradiction
- road to load
- myself
- flipfire
- silva code

also, maybe star slinger would be good for this thread?

iavi

For everybody looking for recs, here's one of my must listens:

emancipator-safe-in-the-steep-cliffs-cover.jpeg

emancipator - Safe in Steep Cliffs

emancipator in general is incredibly solid and should be not be slept on at all, but this album of his, this is some next level shit. While listening, you'll go from tracks like 'Old Devil' Which sounds as if it's prepping your ass for the battle to come, to a track like "Ares" Which basically signals your loss of that battle. It's amazing just how much a story you're able to derive from these instrumentals.

Funny note: He didn't start out as a dude on Hydeout, but he was picked up by Nujabes for a Japanese release after his first album, "Soon it Will Be Cold enough," made it's way around and over the seas.

The Bandcamp

Some of my favorite Instrumental Hip-Hop Albums

599_2.jpg

Samon Kawamura - Translations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7CsMKeTmHk

51JTF79YGHL._SS400_.jpg

Nicolay - City Lights Vol 1.5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL2lw9wQy0A

Fat%20Jon_Hundred%20Eight%20Stars-thumb-400x396-244.jpg

Fat Jon - Hundred Eight Stars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBN6d7BLpc4&feature=related

humanoid+erotica.jpg

Fat Jon as Maurice Galatica - Humanoid Erotica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRE-JxG9Cgo

flylofeaturetop.jpg

PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING BY FLYING LOTUS. The king of instrumental hip-hop, imo. If you have to check out just ONE album of his, I'd HIGHLY recommend Cosmogramma. It was my favorite album of 2010.

Top Bottom