• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a gif, scariest scenes in horror films (spoilers)

Tuorom

Neo Member
adrv0sv.gif

The Taking of Deborah Logan. I have never seen an ending come so deep from left field.

What's the context to this? Is that an alien, or like a demon?

I remember seeing this gif before and it was extremely uncomfortable to watch. Just wtf, so creepy.

hughesta

Banned
yeah the Mulholland Drive jumpscare is one of the best ever and the gif really doesn't do it justice. The scene builds to that scare so well.

I've read mixed things about this movie, but now I'm interested. Movies that hinge on dread rather than jump scares are my jam

It's definitely one of the most frightening films I've seen recently, and is absolutely more about atmosphere than scares. Made me feel really uncomfortable for most of the run time.

gforguava

Dat Cat People ripoff
stalking.png
Can't tell if serious...Val Lewton and Jacques Tourneur made both films.

edit: And The Leopard Man is actually nothing like Cat People. Cat People's thematic interest in sexuality/sexual repression, immigrants, and cultural assimilation is nowhere to be found in The Leopard Man, which is a film more straightforward in its content(if ahead of its time) but wildly different in structure.

gforguava

Too many jokers around here. That scene is great. The blood under the door and shit, man.
Right on. My first thought was the cemetery scene but it just couldn't be done in gif form, so much of it being the audio and Consuelo's dialogue with the man on the other side of the wall.

I'll take Lewton and company's moody spookiness over a ton of the gore/shock stuff put forward in this thread.

edit:
giphy.gif

The Blackcoat's Daughter

Not really scary in gif form, but this movie is overbearing with dread and gets pretty fucked.
Ooh, I didn't see this posted, great choice. Oz Perkins is the real deal.

Xero

I've read mixed things about this movie, but now I'm interested. Movies that hinge on dread rather than jump scares are my jam
Try prince of darkness as well. Its not for everyone but the soundtrack and atmosphere is one of the most oppressing things ive experienced.

gforguava

I'll have to watch The Leopard man now that I know its pedigree. Cat People is one of the GOAT horror films.
All of Val Lewton's RKO horror films are worth a look I say.

• Cat People - A classic.
  • I Walked With A Zombie - Another classic.
  • The Leopard Man - A lesser film than the previous two in a lot of ways but is pretty ambitious and it has an odd, meandering structure that sets it apart.
  • The Seventh Victim - A moody and death obsessed horror-noir something or other, his very best.
  • The Ghost Ship - His worst, largely caused by the casting of Richard Dix as the villain. So, so miscast.
  • The Curse of The Cat People - Not really a horror story but a wonderful film, usually considered one of his best.
  • The Body Snatcher, Isle of the Dead, and Bedlam - His three films with Boris Karloff, all strong(particularly on the acting front, one can easily forget just how great an actor Karloff really was) but they pull more and more away from horror(and Lewton's films were already more horror adjacent than straight horror stories) into drama territory.

edit:
I've known about this movie for years and never checked it out despite loving the source. Is it as weird and Lovecraftian as I hope it is?
It is probably the best Lovecraftian film from a 'based on Lovecraft and tries to feel like Lovecraft' perspective(although it is actually more Shadow Over Innsmouth than the story of its title. As long as you can handle the low budget-ness of it, it is pretty solid.

I've known about this movie for years and never checked it out despite loving the source. Is it as weird and Lovecraftian as I hope it is?

It starts off really stupid, like the kinda "stupid" you'd see in a 2000s horror movie where you get bunch of unlikable people partying together and acting annoying. I have a low tolerance for that shit, and that shit was a-plenty during the 00s, but as soon as they get to the island and start investigating the mystery, I thought it was an alright flick. It's actually a loose adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It starts off really stupid, like the kinda "stupid" you'd see in a 2000s horror movie where you get bunch of unlikable people partying together and acting annoying. I have a low tolerance for that shit, and that shit was a-plenty during the 00s, but as soon as they get to the island and start investigating the mystery, I thought it was an alright flick. It's actually a loose adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

We need a movie with high production values which does for movies what Bloodborne did for video games as far as Lovecraft adaptations go.

Zeta Oni

Yes.

giphy.gif

Are they peeling a guy's face off...

Yes, and
they succeed. I cut it early cause that might have been a bit much.

Actually, for those who wanna see it here is part 2 of that .gif:

dagon-08.gif

Was that a syfy movie? Every time I saw it, it was on syfy.

Its a Spanish film actually, but yeah it did use to come on syfy all the time, that's how I first saw it as well.

Top Bottom