• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

willow ve

No. Hell no.
Not if it's ugly like Hemorrhage, Ascension remake, Sandbox, Foundry, the 4-way symmetrical default layout of the new moonbase canvas or ANY OTHER FUCKING FORGE MAP EVER.

Fuck forge. It's the cancer that is killing Halo.

Said no one. Ever.

Foundry was badass. Focused forgers into a small battlefield that led to a lot of great 4v4 games. Forge World, on the other hand, gave a lot of framerate issues that ultimately sucked the life out of many forge creations.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Forge maps in moderation are fine. I would have been fine with playing 1 or 2 in Reach matchmaking. The issue was that they added like 15 and all you'd ever get was a forge map, on the same environment, with the same look.

Now Halo 4 has the same look (as far as we've seen) but at least we'll have 3 distinct environments, and the pieces look a bit better.

That being said, I'd say only 1 forge map per environment in matchmaking at launch.

G17

I hope Microsoft do a good job of removing leak videos before launch from YouTube. I have a feeling I'll be spoiled either from the related videos or even suggested text on Google. :/

FyreWulff

Said no one. Ever.

Foundry was badass. Focused forgers into a small battlefield that led to a lot of great 4v4 games. Forge World, on the other hand, gave a lot of framerate issues that ultimately sucked the life out of many forge creations.

That was mostly because Foundry never let you to really push Halo 3's engine, though. In Halo 3, they didn't have the ability to restrict local player counts, so Foundry and Sandbox forcibly kept you at the 4 split limit for performance. If you go back and look at Sandbox now, you can kind of tell how ridiculously bare the base map is to keep perf up.

Mind, I think they should have had a performance meter or something in Forge to help creators know when to stop in Reach. General rule is to not exceed 4,000$ in your budget. This is never communicated by UI and it took forever to get Bungie to open up about what map they considered the farthest you could go for performance (which was Asylum)

Fuck forge. It's the cancer that is killing Halo.

What.

From a competitive standpoint, I can see the inclusion of forge maps (particularly Reach's nonsense, not so much Halo 3's) being annoying/repetitive, but from a Custom Games perspective, Forge is the best thing to happen to Halo. It's expanded the game in incredible ways.

Overdoziz

Banned
I really hope you'll be able to create floors that don't look the same as the other pieces. Grey on grey or white on white isn't exactly thrilling. Having grass, sand, rock, dirt or snow as the floor of a map would make maps look easier on the eyes and it would allow you to orientate faster.

There is so much stuff they can do to make Forge better without turning it into a full-on map creator. It's a bit saddening to see that even after outsourcing it to another company not that much has seemingly been done to the mode. Especially in terms of allowing people to create maps that look different from all other Forge maps there's not much of an advancement from what we've seen so far. This puzzles me because that was probably the biggest complaint in Reach. The new lighting system is great but it doesn't help Forgers much in creating a map that looks unique.

Im now pretty far through The Thursday War and eat my words - it starts out very much like Glasslands but then becomes far more interesting. I kind of wish things played out differently - essentially I wish it was a different story - but I am very interested in the story being presented.

I REALLY need to get some other stuff done, but couldn't put the book down - after so many dud's recently its nice to enjoy a Halo novel again.

I just hope we get some Spartan 4 action, at least a look in at the training facilities on the Infinity.

My gripes with Parangosky still remain, but im kind of able to look past them

Beckx

I wonder if that green underground lake area is big enough to rebuild Deck 16? The water wouldn't be damaging like the original but at least it would have the same look.

willow ve

That was mostly because Foundry never let you to really push Halo 3's engine, though. In Halo 3, they didn't have the ability to restrict local player counts, so Foundry and Sandbox forcibly kept you at the 4 split limit for performance. If you go back and look at Sandbox now, you can kind of tell how ridiculously bare the base map is to keep perf up.

Mind, I think they should have had a performance meter or something in Forge to help creators know when to stop in Reach. General rule is to not exceed 4,000$ in your budget. This is never communicated by UI and it took forever to get Bungie to open up about what map they considered the farthest you could go for performance (which was Asylum)

That's a great point. I consider Foundry to be an excellent experience because it physically forces a Forged map into an enclosed environment which thereby limits the performance issues associated with Forge World.

And the idea of Bungie thinking Asylum was as "far as you could go for performance" is laughable. That map has some of the most atrocious framerate issues of all the forge maps in rotation. Not to mention it's built wrong, isn't actually symmetrical, doesn't have any grenades on map, and the MLG variant Sanctuary is superior in almost every single way. Why they never fixed this map (ala Cage to Uncaged) is beyond my powers of speculation.

Did I just see a blurry, underground Waterworks area? At the 28 second mark...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Capture.PNG

Also, this is what is under the non-removable base on the moon map.

Overdoziz

Banned
So the only (relatively) big flag area is gray? Sigh...
The natural terrain looks mostly useless just like with most of Forge World. Give me a perfectly flat field of grass, moon rock, cave dirt or something, please. The structures that are already on the maps seems particularly worthless too.
General rule is to not exceed 4,000$ in your budget.
Just wanted quickly point out that this isn't true at all. It's completely dependent on layout and lines of sight. You can have maps that use 2000 budget which have framedrops to hell and back and there are maps that use 9500 budget and have a stable framerate. (Although admittedly these are mostly 1v1 maps)

The first map looked like it could work like a High ground-like map. Liked the look of that! But the rest of the map doesn't look that good to forge around. There are way too many hills for a flat map. You're only options would be building inside the base or in the sky, leaving the ground pretty much useless.

Sweet - I dont really care from a forge point of view, but from a maps in matchmaking point of view: Im pretty sure the base variants of each of those maps will be pretty awesome - and it seems as though for some of those maps there could be a couple of base variants which use different base geometry from the map. As far as im concerned I want at least 1 developer made forge map using each of those 3 aesthetics in matchmaking, as those forge maps look good.

Not sure how well the community forge maps will turn out - I get the feeling that they will look as crap as ever - especially considering that they will need to go out of the map space to build flat ground. From an actual forgers point of view those maps look like an absolute nightmare to work with - and unless you have ideas on how to integrate the base geometry in some of those maps they look more annoying than anything. Hyped for the base variants which 343 put together though.

Don't kill any flying things giving shields---got it. Hope I don't bop one on accident. Were I to kill one, do I just have to replay that entire level from scratch, or an entire campaign?

All the campaign sadly, the most dificult part is where you use Buck, there is a a lot of engiees in that area

FyreWulff

Summary:

3 Forge Canvases

Erosion

- Contains the Grifball court
- Go outside for rolling hills, with tunnels and bridges
- Green water at the bottom side for building maps over
- Intended as the 'beginner' Forge canvas. Lots of natural geometry is supposed to let novice Forgers more easily create a functional map without being intimidated
- Forge pieces appear to have a rusted up appearance
- Not much if any forging space terms of skybox

Impact

- The center structure is built into the map, and contains multiple levels inside it. There is a specific piece to close off the lower level.
- The skybox is built for player orientation. If you notice, one side has a red supernova, the other side has a blue supernova, and the asteroid belt all work together to keep players oriented
- There's another asteriod across the way without a central structure if you want more space
- Personal opinion; this seems to be the "pro mode" map, aka for experienced Forgers. Very little premade geometry and the vast open continous space means this will probably be the destination for complex Forge creations.

Ravine
- The "rolling green hills and water" map
- You can build down inside the ravine, and can pull a bit away from the map itself for some skybox forging, but much less than Impact
- You used to not be able to go as high as the central ring statue, but the art team reworked the map to allow players to go higher
- Eyeballing it, roughly the size of Montana (or is it Alaska. The wide upper cliff over the tunnel) on Forge World

tl;dr incoming personal observations

Erosion is the beginner map with tons of developer geometry. Predicting 4v4, asym objective and Infection maps to feature heavily on this one.

Ravine is the intermediate map, probably will be used a lot for BTB creations and bigger 4v4 matches. Predicting this will be the most commonly used canvas. It has some pre-made map elements but they won't dictate your map design.

Impact is the expert map, will probably be used a lot for remakes and more complex hardcore creations. Barely any pre-provided developer geometry.

I also noticed we essentially have 3 daytime settings. Erosion is dusky, Ravine is morning/midday and Impact is nighttime. I think they're doing pretty good for variety this time.

Vire

Summary:

3 Forge Canvases

Erosion

- Contains the Grifball court
- Go outside for rolling hills, with tunnels and bridges
- Green water at the bottom side for building maps over
- Intended as the 'beginner' Forge canvas. Lots of natural geometry is supposed to let novice Forgers more easily create a functional map without being intimidated
- Forge pieces appear to have a rusted up appearance
- Not much if any forging space terms of skybox

Impact

- The center structure is built into the map, and contains multiple levels inside it. There is a specific piece to close off the lower level.
- The skybox is built for player orientation. If you notice, one side has a red supernova, the other side has a blue supernova, and the asteroid belt all work together to keep players oriented
- There's another asteriod across the way without a central structure if you want more space
- Personal opinion; this seems to be the "pro mode" map, aka for experienced Forgers. Very little premade geometry and the vast open continous space means this will probably be the destination for complex Forge creations.

Ravine
- The "rolling green hills and water" map
- You can build down inside the ravine, and can pull a bit away from the map itself for some skybox forging, but much less than Impact
- You used to not be able to go as high as the central ring statue, but the art team reworked the map to allow players to go higher
- Eyeballing it, roughly the size of Montana (or is it Alaska. The wide upper cliff over the tunnel) on Forge World

tl;dr incoming personal observations

Erosion is the beginner map with tons of developer geometry. Predicting 4v4, asym objective and Infection maps to feature heavily on this one.

Ravine is the intermediate map, probably will be used a lot for BTB creations and bigger 4v4 matches. Predicting this will be the most commonly used canvas. It has some pre-made map elements but they won't dictate your map design.

Impact is the expert map, will probably be used a lot for remakes and more complex hardcore creations. Barely any pre-provided developer geometry.

I also noticed we essentially have 3 daytime settings. Erosion is dusky, Ravine is morning/midday and Impact is nighttime. I think they're doing pretty good for variety this time.

Good assessment. Still disappointed that there's no Covenant themed forge location... Seems like a missed opportunity.

You have the Forerunner map, UNSC map... annnnnd another UNSC map? Wat

GhaleonEB

I watched the Gamespot video on mute during a meeting. So I had to look away now and then. But what I saw really bummed me out.

All I want in a Forge map is a big open space to build a map on. Basically a space like this:

1000px-Sandbox_msblog.jpg

Only about 3x the size. Toss in some rounded terrain objects to add hills, and bam. The perfect Forge space.

Did I miss this spot? From what I did see, I couldn't find a single place I wanted to make a map. What I want to do is build an understanding of Halo 4's combat sandbox. Then I want to look at the Forge objects. And then sit down with a pencil and pad of graph paper, dream up a map, and build it. That's what I did with Halo 3's Forge, and I built a number of maps that played pretty well and that I was quite proud of.

75379332-Full.jpg

Overview.jpg

14.jpg

I poured dozens of hours into these maps, and loved doing so, despite the crude tool set, because I could build what I wanted to build, limited only by the object budget. I didn't see anywhere on any of the three Forge maps shown on the Gamespot video that's just a blank slate. They were all very detailed, undulating, busy spaces like Forge World (except for the Grifball court).

Please tell me I missed it. Or that's it's not shown yet.

Tawpgun

SO THEY BUILD AN UNDERGROUND FORGE ENVIRONMENT.

AND DONT INCLUDE THE WATERWORKS GEOMETRY.

FUCK YOU TOO 343.

They look awsome, but cmon man...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ghal I think on Impact (as Fyre said):

Fyrewulff said:
There's another asteriod across the way without a central structure if you want more space

This seems like it could be that kind of area. No exactly the same, but decent.

I watched the Gamespot video on mute during a meeting. So I had to look away now and then. But what I saw really bummed me out.

All I want in a Forge map is a big open space to build a map on. Basically a space like this:

I certainly didn't see a large, open, flat area on any of the forge environments.

Beckx

Continuing on the UT theme, Impact would be perfect for a Facing Worlds remake. I just wish that structure wasn't permanent, because otherwise you'd put bases on either side of the stepping stones.

These forge maps look pretty good in my opinion. We could have used like a snow/sand/covenant environment but what are you gonna do. Impact looks like its going to be my favorite. You know what would be cool? With each of the three map packs, they include a forge environment separate to the 3 main maps. Not going to happen but I could be optimistic right?

Top Bottom