• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

I've never taken out a credit card before and this one is looking pretty nice, but I'm not sure how I would get money from my debit account that my direct deposit goes into to pay off the credit since they would be through two different companies. Any advice?

thespot84

I'm on the phone with chase now:

The card is a partner card, meaning that any rewards you get on it CANNOT be transferred to another chase card like the sapphire reserve. You can, however, transfer points from a chase card TO a partner card.

Any rewards you generate with this amazon card are managed by amazon, not by chase.

Since it's a partner card it is not eligible for product upgrade. Normally with a chase account open over a year you can change the type of card on the account, for example I changed my old sapphire to a freedom to churn points. I just inquired about changing a third account I have over to this card, but it's not possible.

I've never taken out a credit card before and this one is looking pretty nice, but I'm not sure how I would get money from my debit account that my direct deposit goes into to pay off the credit since they would be through two different companies. Any advice?

When you sign up for a credit card, say through Chase, you create an online account, and then there is a bill payer screen that you would save your Debit/CheckingAcct to that you will use to pay that card off/down. When you go to pay your credit card, you pay through that bill payer screen on Chase.

Alternatively, you could setup a bill payer through your existing bank to write a check to Chase. Or, you could write a check yourself and mail it.

It's like linking a card/acct to PayPal, Venmo, your electric company, Verizon, Xbox Live, PSN, Amazon, or any other service.

I order from Amazon a LOT. Is this worth getting?

The Chase Amazon card is decent for rewards. The APR will probably be higher than other cards offered through your bank. It's been my primary card for 6 or 7 years now and I like the card. I recently pooled up my points for quite a while and bought the new 15" MacBook Pro with points and a few gift cards. It was some $1500 worth of points, which took me quite a while to accumulate, but typically I get more in points than I pay in interest, so I'm "being paid to use the card," in a sense.

The risk with any card, of course, is that you run a balance.

Massicot

Schlorgan

When you sign up for a credit card, say through Chase, you create an online account, and then there is a bill payer screen that you would save your Debit/CheckingAcct to that you will use to pay that card off/down. When you go to pay your credit card, you pay through that bill payer screen on Chase.

Alternatively, you could setup a bill payer through your existing bank to write a check to Chase. Or, you could write a check yourself and mail it.

It's like linking a card/acct to PayPal, Venmo, your electric company, Verizon, Xbox Live, PSN, Amazon, or any other service.

The Chase Amazon card is decent for rewards. The APR will probably be higher than other cards offered through your bank. It's been my primary card for 6 or 7 years now and I like the card. I recently pooled up my points for quite a while and bought the new 15" MacBook Pro with points and a few gift cards. It was some $1500 worth of points, which took me quite a while to accumulate.

Ah. That's a lot easier than I thought. I think I'll go for it then. I use Amazon a lot.

I order from Amazon a LOT. Is this worth getting?

Looks like it from what I seeing. I signed up today and already got my $70 GC deposited in my Amazon account. The big thing to look out for is interest. Reward cards typically carry a much higher interest rate than what you'd get from a basic credit card at your bank or credit union. As long as you don't carry a large balance, or better yet pay it off every month, the rewards should be more than worth it.

SyNapSe

Logged into my account and it shows a different looking card. 5% for prime members, 3% for non-prime.

Am I actually going to get a new physical card? What's the point of the Prime Store Card now. It's right next to it and 5% prime but nothing on other purchases.

thespot84

PS if you're using UR points as credit you're missing out on their potential. Statement credit is 1%, certain cards will let you book travel at 1.15 (sapphire preferred) or even 1.5% (sapphire reserve).

The sapphires also let you transfer points directly to miles with star alliance, southwest, hilton, hyatt etc, which will generally net you better than 1%.

sangreal

Logged into my account and it shows a different looking card. 5% for prime members, 3% for non-prime.

Am I actually going to get a new physical card? What's the point of the Prime Store Card now. It's right next to it and 5% prime but nothing on other purchases.

Yes, everyone will get a new physical card

Store card is easier to get for some people

PS if you're using UR points as credit you're missing out on their potential. Statement credit is 1%, certain cards will let you book travel at 1.15 (sapphire preferred) or even 1.5% (sapphire reserve).

The sapphires also let you transfer points directly to miles with star alliance, southwest, hilton, hyatt etc, which will generally net you better than 1%.

amazon card doesn't give UR points

I got this card a year or year and a half ago and I already have 300 bucks in points. I won't use the points until

A. 4k tvs are cheaper as they become the standard.
B. Online content has 4k content regularly.
C. With emperor trump elected Internet companies don't fuck over customers with data caps again.

This card is a God send for someone like me that shops on Amazon all of the time

Looks like it from what I seeing. I signed up today and already got my $70 GC deposited in my Amazon account. The big thing to look out for is interest. Reward cards typically carry a much higher interest rate than what you'd get from a basic credit card at your bank or credit union. As long as you don't carry a large balance, or better yet pay it off every month, the rewards should be more than worth it.

So ideally if I pay it off every month (which I do with other cards) it's win/win? It seems like a good idea but I've never signed up for a "3rd party" card like this so I'm very slightly sketched out.

Ron Mexico

So ideally if I pay it off every month (which I do with other cards) it's win/win? It seems like a good idea but I've never signed up for a "3rd party" card like this so I'm very slightly sketched out.

I would drop the ideally part, but otherwise yeah. The poster was correct about the typical APRs on rewards cards are generally extremely high in comparison. Even carrying a balance for a couple months could easily wipe out the savings in points you've earned.

Massicot

Treat it like a debit card basically and yea. Never carry a balance except for emergencies. Look at your bank account to decide what you can afford, not your credit limit.

Felt like adding... I'm probably just naive here, but it was pretty cool to go from the announcement web page to having the card in my account ready to use with the $70 gift card in 30 seconds. The world is crazy.

Felt like adding... I'm probably just naive here, but it was pretty cool to go from the announcement web page to having the card in my account ready to use with the $70 gift card in 30 seconds. The world is crazy.

it is very terrifying how quickly one can get a credit card online yes.

Meier

Do you have Prime Video under your own account or do you have to sign in with the main account?

For reference, my wife is the one who pays for our Prime account but I'm listed as a family member. I got the upgrade applied to my card/account.

Is it best to sign up for the card when making a large-ish purchase? I always see that little bulletin offering discounts for signing up, but I never do.

I would drop the ideally part, but otherwise yeah. The poster was correct about the typical APRs on rewards cards are generally extremely high in comparison. Even carrying a balance for a couple months could easily wipe out the savings in points you've earned.

Hey, I can do that. Makes sense that they'd have a high APR in the hopes of people keeping a balance. Thanks!

jfoul

I have this card and it's been upgraded, but I'll probably keep using the Amazon Prime Store Card that's been 5% for awhile.

Zoe

For reference, my wife is the one who pays for our Prime account but I'm listed as a family member. I got the upgrade applied to my card/account.

That's the kind where you can log into Prime Video with your own account, right?

Do you both use the same card (one of you as authorized) or do you have separate credit cards?

You always earn points.
You just use the points to create a statement credit rather than using it for a discount on Amazon.

Huh, that option never dawned on me. How do I do this exactly? I'm not seeing an option on Chase's website to pay my balance with points.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm blind. Under "Amazon Rewards" on your account page click See Balance > Redeem > Redeem Rewards > Cash Back (in case others weren't aware)

Ashhong

Do you have Prime Video under your own account or do you have to sign in with the main account?

I have to sign onto the main account if I want Prime Video. So then am I also ineligible for this upgrade?

Family member or family member account? Like do you and your wife share the same login?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom