• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame "Demake" Art

This whole thread...it's like walking into a retro-gaming store...of awesome games someone with the skills should make.

973_2.jpg

MGS4 in MG2:SS style would be amazing too
maybe with several cutscenes regulated to files the way GZ uses audio tapes

Jamie OD

It's one thing to look at pictures, but I wouldn't actually want to play most of these beat-em-ups or simplistic games for more than a few minutes.

For me it's not so much wishing these games exist but more like me wondering if game developers never gave up using 2D sprites what quality would they be at now?

deleted

These look amazing. Someone should put work into realizing one of these.

And Nintendo should make the next Metroid this way. They most likely won't grab a big audience with it either way and a 2D oldschool Metroid would satisfy more while selling the same or similar enough I guess...

For me it's not so much wishing these games exist but more like me wondering if game developers never gave up using 2D sprites what quality would they be at now?

There's still plenty of good 2D art. Guacamelee, Steamworld Dig, Rayman, Muramasa, Stealth Inc. and Machinarium as a few examples off the top of my head. There's one bit in Guacamelee when the camera zooms in really close on Juan, and it shows just how detailed the visuals are.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I'd offer both my kidneys to whoever if we could get a 2d castlevania that looks like that.
Holy mother of god just look at it.
ntlbYLm.jpg

Would it ever be possible to make a game that looks like this?
For a pixel art game to look like that Dark Souls image it would require an absolutely obscene amount of time. The specular highlights on the armour would be no problem in 3D but would be a nightmare to paint into every frame.

Generally, I prefer more simple pixel art that reduces objects to suggestive approximations of the real thing rather than attempting a realistic style - though that image is very cool.

This whole thread...it's like walking into a retro-gaming store...of awesome games someone with the skills should make.

973_2.jpg

MGS4 in MG2:SS style would be amazing too
maybe with several cutscenes regulated to files the way GZ uses audio tapes

Looks so awesome. I always lamented how we never got a 16-bit Metal Gear game

jerry1594

For a pixel art game to look like that Dark Souls image it would require an absolutely obscene amount of time. The specular highlights on the armour would be no problem in 3D but would be a nightmare to paint into every frame.

Generally, I prefer more simple pixel art that reduces objects to suggestive approximations of the real thing rather than attempting a realistic style - though that image is very cool.
What about a king of fighters 13 kind of way where they overlay the 2D look on polygons?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Looks so awesome. I always lamented how we never got a 16-bit Metal Gear game

Super Metal Gear for the SNES would have been the greatest thing ever. I'm sure Kojima would have gone crazy with the Mode 7 effects.

I'd offer both my kidneys to whoever if we could get a 2d castlevania that looks like that.
Holy mother of god just look at it.
ntlbYLm.jpg

Would it ever be possible to make a game that looks like this?

I've not yet finished Dark Souls, but stuff like this really makes me want to revisit it. Goddamn that looks awesome; reminds me of Tower Knight from Demon's.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is making me think irrational thoughts like "3D is the worst thing to ever happen to video games."

I don't think it's that irrational at all. The move to polygons certainly didn't do Japanese game development any favors.

IMO, the only genres that were improved by the change were those already in 3D (racing games and FPS); other genres were either made worse or morphed into something barely resembling their former selves.

...and yet they bring us:

Souls series
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy
Metal Gear Solid 3
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
and many, many other great 3d games....

3d isn't bad at all, when it's done properly, at least since 6th generation.
Still, 2d looks and always will be looking great :p
It's just another /not BETTER or WORSE/ form of art in gaming

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
...and yet they bring us:

Souls series
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy
Metal Gear Solid 3
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
and many, many other great 3d games....

3d isn't bad at all, when it's done properly, at least since 6th generation.
Still, 2d looks and always will be looking great :p
It's just another /not BETTER or WORSE/ form of art in gaming

The point is, many great Japanese developers during the 16 bit era either no longer exist, or are now a shadow of their former selves.

Of course it doesn't apply to every company, and there have certainly been some fantastic 3D games that would not have been the same (or even possible) in 2D. But as great as Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime are, they don't play like, and aren't in the same genre as, their SNES counterparts. And though it has taken a few years, Nintendo finally seems to realize this... so there is some hope, however small, of a 2D Metroid for Wii-U or 3DS.

deleted

There aren't a lot of games today, indy or otherwise, that go for an evolved 16bit look, are there? Most indy retro games seem to use 8bit or an amiga esque look.

As good as Rayman looks these days, I would love to see that look return or at least have the Rayman engine be used for more games. Hopefully the rumors about a PoP title with the Rayman engine turn out to be true.

nkarafo

There aren't a lot of games today, indy or otherwise, that go for an evolved 16bit look, are there? Most indy retro games seem to use 8bit or an amiga esque look.
Ι'd say most go for a "newgrounds flash" look. Which i hate so much.

Talyn

This thread is making me think irrational thoughts like "3D is the worst thing to ever happen to video games."
I think that every time I play a 3DS game. I hate the fact that seemingly everything has to be done with polygons now. I miss pixel art on handhelds so damn much. Where's my new 2D Metroid, Nintendo!? Hell it doesn't even have to be new, just remake Metroid 2 with color graphics!

The point is, many great Japanese developers during the 16 bit era either no longer exist, or are now a shadow of their former selves.

Of course it doesn't apply to every company, and there have certainly been some fantastic 3D games that would not have been the same (or even possible) in 2D. But as great as Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime are, they don't play like, and aren't in the same genre as, their SNES counterparts. And though it has taken a few years, Nintendo finally seems to realize this... so there is some hope, however small, of a 2D Metroid for Wii-U or 3DS.

The person you quoted is talking about great 3D games, not Japanese games. I thought the same thing as you at first though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Jesus, imagine if Bayonetta had a couple demake shooter levels in the place of the shit-tier Hang-On and eternally long Space Harrier "tributes."

I think that every time I play a 3DS game. I hate the fact that seemingly everything has to be done with polygons now. I miss pixel art on handhelds so damn much. Where's my new 2D Metroid, Nintendo!? Hell it doesn't even have to be new, just remake Metroid 2 with color graphics!

It's a matter of effort and time, really. the higher the resolution, the less practical pixel art becomes, due to the shear amount of work to create and animate all those cells.

Polygons are much easier to deal with in HD.

Not that you can't have very stylized, colorful, polygon art. It's very possible with the right artist.

Top Bottom