• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite does not have multiplayer of any kind

pargonta

5RVxT.jpg

MdmJo.jpg

YESSSSSSSSS party time.

This fact was rumored but unconfirmed back in August from Kotaku. In this age of endless and sometimes needless multiplayer, this is special. Video Games are not inherently social, they have grown to be an evolving and engaging space for artist-to-audience storytelling. Coming after the shoehorned in modes in the shoehorned in BioShock 2, I feel this is important, and awesome.

The sales of Dishonored were good if i recall correctly, and this will sell even more almost assuredly, solidifying a long line of single player only titles selling well.

I expect a few lame critics and reviewers to blast the game for not having multiplayer, moreso because of the preceding title including some modes. Some niave reviewers will see this change back as a negative. To do my part in trying to undercut that, please understand dear reviewer, that not every game needs multiplayer.

Single Player games are not going anywhere. let no one tell you otherwise.

BioShock Infinite launches February 26

DTKT

I wonder if they had multiplayer, could not figure out how to do it properly while keeping the Bioshock vibe.

Ridley327

It sounded like their multiplayer plans were too scatterbrained to ever come together in the time span they had, so it's nice to see that they decided to cut their losses rather than embark on a losing proposition. I'm sure that Take Two isn't thrilled with the idea, but Bioshock 2's multiplayer bled off so quickly that I doubt it would have made much of a difference in the long run for this game to have a mode like that.

Amir0x

Banned
I actually had a fun enough time with Bioshock 2 multiplayer that I got to the level cap before the patch and saw the "ending", but I am definitely glad they are not forcing it into the package. Focus on making the singleplayer great and meaty if that is your intent.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sounds like this validates the Kotaku rumors since I believe they initially announced the existence of MP. Glad they cut that instead of compromising the main game.

That's not a guarenteed fact, but yeah. It's still a good thing.

Of course it isn't guaranteed, I'm just saying that I'm glad 100% of the focus went into a single-player story and that it won't have any tacked-on modes destined for failure like Bioshock 2 or Metroid Prime 2.

Can't wait for the reviews that are going to dock points for no multiplayer. I can already see the GAF threads and they're nasty.

tha_devil

Didnt they waste a lot of time and effort on developing a multiplayer mode IIRC?

Seems they canned it now?

Which is great, because i love sp games. If i want multi i got play black ops or something (same for AC, never even touched mp)

Good. Leave the multiplayer shooter modes for the CoD/Halo/Battlefield monopoly. It's a waste of time and money for any other dev to try.

Grisby

I like that their not taking peeps away to make MP but man, Bioshock 2's MP was pretty damn fun with all the plasmids and stuff. Being a Big Daddy was some of the best fun I've had in a game.

Derrick01

Banned
Didnt they waste a lot of time and effort on developing a multiplayer mode IIRC?

Which is great, because i love sp games. If i want multi i got play black ops or something (same for AC, never even touched mp)

They were definitely hiring a bunch of multiplayer developers at one point but since then they've had a lot of problems with the game and that's when it was likely canned. I've heard they're having enough troubles trying to get their vision of the single player to work as it is, let alone whatever multiplayer crap they had planned.

Ridley327

Yeah, the Kotaku article from a few months ago mentioned that they dedicated a fairly substantial amount of resources into a multiplayer mode, which was hurting them in the single player portion, as they were already having issues getting the game to match the potential of the E3 demo. I think it's safe to say that they made the right decision, but one can hope it was made sooner rather than later.

Grimsen

Of course it isn't guaranteed, I'm just saying that I'm glad 100% of the focus went into a single-player story and that it won't have any tacked-on modes destined for failure like Bioshock 2 or Metroid Prime 2.

We just don't know. Maybe the multiplayer aspect was scrapped after dumping tons of cash into it. Or maybe it never existed.

SP only is great news though.

EDIT : Ridley knows. He knows too much.

damn that sucks, it might have been a fun addition to the game that would provide hours and hours of replayability if they could have designed it well enough.

it's really hard to make good mp, It's probably even harder when you're struggling to make a good single player while going through development hell.

We just don't know. Maybe the multiplayer aspect was scrapped after dumping tons of cash into it. Or maybe it never existed.

True. Whatever the case, glad it's dedicated single player for sure.

Yeah, the Kotaku article from a few months ago mentioned that they dedicated a fairly substantial amount of resources into a multiplayer mode, which was hurting them in the single player portion, as they were already having issues getting the game to match the potential of the E3 demo. I think it's safe to say that they made the right decision, but one can hope it was made sooner rather than later.

Information! Sucks that the MP is probably what caused all the delays but hopefully they were able to get it back on track and nail it.

Iacobellis

5RVxT.jpg

MdmJo.jpg

YESSSSSSSSS party time.

This fact was rumored but unconfirmed back in August from Kotaku. In this age of endless and sometimes needless multiplayer, this is special. Video Games are not inherently social, they have grown to be an evolving and engaging space for artist-to-audience storytelling. Coming after the shoehorned in modes in the shoehorned in BioShock 2, I feel this is important, and awesome.

The sales of Dishonored were good if i recall correctly, and this will sell even more almost assuredly, solidifying a long line of single player only titles selling well.

I expect a few lame critics and reviewers to blast the game for not having multiplayer, moreso because of the preceding title including some modes. Some niave reviewers will see this change back as a negative. To do my part in trying to undercut that, please understand dear reviewer, that not every game needs multiplayer.

Single Player games are not going anywhere. let no one tell you otherwise.

BioShock Infinite launches February 26

Oh, look! Now they can work on Bioshock Vita!

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Thank god. The multiplayer in 2 really wasn't very good. I really can't wait for this game. When you have a great sinlgeplayer you need multiplayer.

Ridley327

True. Whatever the case, glad it's dedicated single player for sure.

Information! Sucks that the MP is probably what caused all the delays but hopefully they were able to get it back on track and nail it.

Here's the article.

The first mode involved players being miniaturized and placed into an old-timey arcade machine, where they would fight against waves of enemy toys that would roll out on tracks. It was essentially a cooperative tower defense game, but it never worked; the decision was made to can it so that the multiplayer team could focus on a second co-op mode.

That mode, internally dubbed "Spec-Ops," was similar to the Spec-Ops mode in the most recent two Call of Duty: Modern Warfare games. In it, four players would cooperatively work their way through levels lifted from the single-player game. The mode wasn't working, however, and some of the multiplayer team was taken off of it and tasked with getting the 2011 E3 demo into shape. The Spec-Ops multiplayer mode has since been canned, and it's possible that despite Irrational's initial multiplayer mandate, BioShock Infinite will ship as a single-player-only game. Levine declined to comment on those specific multiplayer modes, but said, "As I've always said we are experimenting with things, and only if they are good enough will we put them in the game."

AlexBasch

I usually ignore multiplayer if I'm not interested on it (Dead Space 2) but cool for those people that can't bear or loathe the existance of a multiplayer option in a game, I guess.

Top Bottom