• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Thank you, based JVM.

Following up on previous post:

Unit market share in January:
Code:
           <-------- 2013 ------------->        <-------- 2012 --------->
System     Share (%)   Share (units)            Share (%)   Share (units)
Xbox 360     38.4%         810K   (-50K)          30.9%         860K
PS3          25.8%         545K   (-28K)          20.6%         573K
PC           10.8%         228K   (-84K)          11.2%         312K
Wii           8.6%         182K  (-352K)          19.2%         534K
NDS           6.6%         139K  (-170K)          11.1%         309K
3DS           5.3%         112K   (-44K)           5.7%         156K
PSV           2.2%          46K   (----)          ----%         ---K
[B]WiiU          1.6%          34K   (----)          ----%         ---K
[/B]PSP           0.6%          13K   (-18K)           1.1%          31K
PS2           0.1%           2K    (-1K)           0.1%           3K

Total software sales for Wii U for the month of January were 34,000. This includes bundled NintendoLand.

This is a disaster. Shibata needs to do something quick. The software line up over here is awful now Rayman has been delayed.

Metallix87

Worse than Vita? Wow...

Europe is a disaster that's making North America and Japan look decent. Nintendo of Europe is probably going to have a tough time turning this around.

Disaster? Some were claiming 2000 a week.
Its not good but I've seen better disasters.

3DS is bad though. Should be much much better.

Kenka

zX0TA.gif

Still not advertising it, still not stocked in the vast majority of supermarket branches.

Has Nintendo fallen out with the biggest gaming retailers in the country, are said retailers no longer rolling out major new hardware nationwide at launch (ominous for everyone) or is this a bizarre tactic, Nintendo holding fire until it can roll out big games and a price cut?

eXistor

Worse than Vita? Wow...

Europe is a disaster that's making North America and Japan look decent. Nintendo of Europe is probably going to have a tough time turning this around.

UK isn't Europe. Not saying the EU situation is great, but it's not quite on UK levels.

I'm not surprised in the slightest. The launch line up now looks fairly weak a few months on , with the recent games draught not helping.

Not even seen much advertising for it, and I'm certain that people see it as too expensive (£300ish).

M.D

So? This gen is about to be over guys, Nintendo will surely reveal its next gen machine this year.

Poor Wii U and Vita :(

BibiMaghoo

Reduce the price to £99, that's the magic price.

Fuck, I'd buy one today.

In the UK they are still very much hidden. Stores have small displays, my Tesco has all the games stuff on one isle, but the WiiU stuff on it's own round the corner.

PC world and Currys have none on display in the game section. They have a couple behind the counter. Honestly, in the UK, I blame retailers as much as Nintendo. No one my way is making any effort to sell them.

teeny

Genuinely worried about the future of the console at this point. Nintendo should seriously consider larger internal expansions. Their collaborative projects are great, but they need to do much more in this area too. It's looking like Nintendo are going to have to carry this console themselves. Third party support feels like it is going to be worse than their last two consoles.

I love my Wii U but this is pathetic. No excuse for this abysmal performance. Nintendo is gonna have to rely heavily on Japan and hope the US market picks up steam after February with some new content. Eventually this console is gonna need a price cut sometime this year if it wants to sell in the UK.

Durante

Someone else made an interesting point in the other thread:

All handhelds combined (3DS+DS+Vita+PSP): 309K
PC (retail only!) : 228K

cloudyy

lol at people saying to reduce the price. Like if reducing the price will sell more software that doesn't exist right?
edit: ok only one here said reduce the price, I'm looking at you fly high :p

UK isn't Europe. Not saying the EU situation is great, but it's not quite on UK levels.

From Nintendo fiscal report UK was tied as the second best market as far as % of total was concerned, considering it's the biggest European market still it is probably second best for unit sales aswell.

Yup. They are doing much better in France, Germany and Spain.

France only most likely

Metallix87

lol at people saying to reduce the price. Like if reducing the price will sell more software that doesn't exist right?

Well, it might get more people to go out and buy some of the more desirable exclusives on the system now... which amounts to Nintendo Land, NSMBU, & Zombi U.

Shahed

Looking at the chart, the software here in the UK seem in pretty bad shape. But while sales have slowed, it's not that bad for the likes of 360, PS3 or PC. It's just that Wii and DS have fallen off a cliff which skews the overall UK totals

sphinx

the piano man
I'm not surprised in the slightest. The launch line up now looks fairly weak a few months on , with the recent games draught not helping.

Not even seen much advertising for it, and I'm certain that people see it as too expensive (£300ish).

and I think people are much doen with the Wii brand.

I can see people having a hard time convincing themselves to buy yet another wii console, regardles of whether it's next gen or a rebranding of the older console.

that console being named Wii U is the worst of its aspects, in my opinion, not the lack of 3rd party games, not the price, not anything else.

nikatapi

With the system being so expensive and some late ports being 60euros, i don't find it really surprising.

Hell, i could get a 250gb 360 with two games for 200 euros, WiiU is very expensive for what it offers at the moment i think.

Randdalf

Not surprised really, but this doesn't account for digital sales does it? I know that the only games I've bought for Wii U in the UK were digital.

pelican

Incredibly poor. Without any meaningful releases in the future god knows how this will change. I'm looking forward to Monster Hunter but it isnt the answer.

God help the Wii u this year. Especially when next gen hype builds.

Top Bottom