• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - The little details that caught your attention?

I think one of the best things about open world games are the little touches and details that developers add to give their world a sense of being a living place, not just a lines of codes and programming. From paramedics trying to revive victims and then placing them in body bags in Sleeping Dogs to your cell phone causing radio static in GTA IV to an NPC playing catch with his dog in Red Dead Redemption, these little details help flesh out the world in myriad subtle ways.

So now that GTA V has released, what are the little details that surprised you or caught your attention?

The sound design in this game is phenomenal.

Edit: The city is loud ALL the time. And I was doing a race and left my car (because it was a piece of shit and I was trying to lose to restart). The sound of the other racers in the distance was just wow. Gun sounds are great as well.

The little puffs of dust coming off of vehicles when they get hit by bullets is great, too. So many things.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Finally, is this our easter egg thread now??

Bigfoot.

2013-09-1917_48_33-gtftevo.png

Tangeroo

Not the first GTA to do this but I'm always impressed by the volume of different car dialog versions you get for missions. In other words, if you fail a mission that involves driving with a passenger and redo the mission, the dialog will be different. I wonder about the sheer volume of dialog I've missed because I didn't need to redo those missions.

Alienous

The phone is brilliant. Sometimes I want to walk to my destination, and not drive. And sometimes that can get dull. So I do what everybody else does these days, and pull out my phone. Search through my messages, make a few calls etc.

Ploid 3.0

GTAV is all over gaf. Small bites add up to a GTAV Age Forum. The Gamestop worldstarhiphop video with the manager and the guy getting angry about the lady asking people if they wanted his number was funny.

Derrick01

Banned
I've been impressed with the random character switching. I usually get moments where Michael and Franklin are interacting with other people when I switch. One time Franklin was holding Lamar back from fighting 2 guys, another time Michael was sitting on the beach and being yelled at by a lifeguard to put his cigarette out (I believe his words were "look around this whole place is a fucking ashtray").

I still haven't unlocked Trevor yet but I can't wait to see what his random moments are. I bet they're wild.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
My favorite hair salon was getting robbed when I walked in. Instead of clippers, I got a gun put to the back of my head.

Couldnt chase after them afterwards because I didn't have a car so all I could do was watch their getaway van peelout and drive away.

putting on and off the top of the convertibles is so god damn cool. even most racing games don't have this.

Shame that there is still no moving steering wheel (just a low res texture, and your arms clip into your legs when in the car...), no windshield wipers in the rain.

Like how radio stations report on shit you've been up to, even the sidequests!

Girls at stripclubs are finally topless? >.> <.<

it's weird that the protag doesn't turn the phone over when browsing email. they get so many other little details right.

Not really a little thing, but man the movie theater films are amazing. that foreign one blew my mind.

Afro

The sound design in this game is phenomenal.

Not sure if I can agree with this just yet. Engine sounds seem a bit too low and subdued to me so far. When I hop in an old muscle car I want to hear that V8 really scream. They seem to be drowned out a bit by the environmental ambience.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My casual friend was just talking about this and I agreed.

This is what a 200m plus budget builds. A very rich world with attention to detail everywhere. There seems to be no two buildings which look alike and the world is just teeming with details small and big.

The world feels more alive, detailed, and runs even better on PS3 than GTA4. It's been a blast so far and I'm enjoying the way the story is coming together. Really cohesive. It feels like there is purpose even though I agreed with my friend that the story has been less exciting than GTA SA (just to compare). I thought that up until the Trevor parts. Damn.

sunnz

As Trevor I was abusing an NPC ( pressing the right DPAD button near them) which caused Trevor to insult them.

After 2 insults the woman said she is gonna call the police, did it one more time and she called the police.

Not sure why but this totally random moment just made me so happy.

Darko

There is a mission where in order to escape the police you have to split up from your group (2 other characters)... The on screen prompt tells you to split up but if you choose to follow either one of those other characters there is full dialogue between each of them

also on the side missions if you follow the person you helped they have additional dialogue

edit: at the airport arrivals terminal if you hail a taxi and there is someone beside you they will get mad that you stole their taxi and either call the police or start a fight with you

Whelan

Banned
My favorite hair salon was getting robbed when I walked in. Instead of clippers, I got a gun put to the back of my head.

Couldnt chase after them afterwards because I didn't have a car so all I could do was watch their getaway van peelout and drive away.
I had that too. Luckily had my truck outside, so gave chase. Blew their tires out. They crashed into a wall. I rammed one to death as he climbed out the passenger seat. The other ran, but I managed to hunt him down and knife him in the face. Took the money back to the barbers for a lame 100 dollar reward

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
As Trevor I was abusing an NPC ( pressing the right DPAD button near them) which caused Trevor to insult them.

After 2 insults the woman said she is gonna call the police, did it one more time and she called the police.

Not sure why but this totally random moment just made me so happy.

I insulted people, they took out their phone to call the police, so I decked them in the face and...of course, no police came. Really neat.

Also a weird attention to detail that is hilarious and dumb, the phone displays correctly. So when it goes sideways for the email, the character is still holding it up and reading it the wrong way.

iNvid02

just random things like walking into a robbery or driving by a gang vs police shootout, or seeing some peds drive into an elk or the little nods to previous games. its really well done and it all adds up

and the dialogue always seems relevant and useful, never had the feeling it was filler padding just to cover a drive

.GqueB.

Banned

Lol, what? Really?

MaxiLive

Loads of little things like the details in the streets or in the shops and other interiors.

Plus the colour and flavour of the whole enviroment is awesome. The vibrant colours of the beach area and greenland. The more saturated colours of the business area of town, the rugged yet colourful graffiti in the "ghetto" and the enormous view distance for the desert area. Add to that the epic atmosphere effects they have and lighting and it just makes the world feel so much more alive and I think it fits so well with the tone of the game :D

I thought it was neat when I first parked a car in a quiet area and could hear that quiet tink tink cooling down noise from the car.

The feel of riding a bicycle is so pleasantly spot-on, I love it. Turning and pedaling feels JUST right.

Rode along the Santa Monica trail in LA this summer, got to do it again in Los Santos last night. There were even certain curves that were identical to the real-life trail--only difference was this time I could run people over.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Clicking in the right stick to look behind in a car = character looks in the rear view mirror.

Calling someone twice in a row, they mention how they just talked to you. Lamar worries you have amnesia.

I asked Lamar to hang out, then took too long to get to him. He then charged my bank account money for wasting his time. Shows up on your ATM statement.

I love finding out about these things.

MGS and GTA are the kings of little details.

sunnz

Also the ambient sounds in the game is pretty incredible, whether in the city or in the wild.

It just sounds so good and alive ( headphones required)

Sophia

I've been impressed with the random character switching. I usually get moments where Michael and Franklin are interacting with other people when I switch. One time Franklin was holding Lamar back from fighting 2 guys, another time Michael was sitting on the beach and being yelled at by a lifeguard to put his cigarette out (I believe his words were "look around this whole place is a fucking ashtray").

I still haven't unlocked Trevor yet but I can't wait to see what his random moments are. I bet they're wild.

I once switched to Trevor asleep in a trash bin. Yeah.... That was odd. Another time he was flirting with a girl. >_>;

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
After loosing my 3 Stars and still driving around the hood watching the Police chopper search light looking for me still.

I noticed that a lot of little things affect the dialog during missions. For instance:
After Trevor killed Johnny I began the mission by hopping in the truck. Just for shits and giggles I ran Johnny's girl over and killed her. As they were driving to the mission objective Wade and Trevor briefly discussed how I just ran her over.

Alienous

Clicking in the right stick to look behind in a car = character looks in the rear view mirror.

Calling someone twice in a row, they mention how they just talked to you. Lamar worries you have amnesia.

I asked Lamar to hang out, then took too long to get to him. He then charged my bank account money for wasting his time. Shows up on your ATM statement.

I love finding out about these things.

MGS and GTA are the kings of little details.

This.

But both tend to have long development times. I assume this level of detail just naturally evolves after years and years of making a game. GTA V's budget just magnifies that.

I ran and jumped into a wall because im stupid, but instead of the regular jump animation playing without concern for the fact that your juimping into A wall like most open world games. GTA V made my character smash against the wall and fall down thriving in pain. It was kinda neat.

people stick the middle finger at you from their car if you block the road...

this might have been in the series before but when a siren gets damaged the sound from the sirens get wonky

I was driving around with Trevor, listening to some pop music. Suddenly he said something like "this is some bullshit music!" and switched to hard rock.

This made me fall in love with this game.

Seeing sweat seep through Michael or Franklin whilst sitting in a car for too long or playing something like Tennis.

Or [STORY SPOILER]
Franklin could be seen sleeping in the truck with Trevor and Lemar in the passenger seat whilst delivering those sports cars to Devin
[END STORY SPOILER].

Pooya

- talking NPCs on the street, I'm amazed how much dialog some of them have
- After doing a mission and you're supposed to leave the area, the NPC goes somewhere and keep talking!

-Approaching a mission with a different character makes the cut scene play differently, you get to see some minor thing from a slightly different view. specially later in the game

-Stock market and effects of the world on it is pretty rad.

- ped comes parks the car, goes into restaurant, you jack the car he actually runs after you from the restaurant!

-All the
GTA4
references are pretty cool.

- news on radio is better than ever, gives a lot of useful hints if you're paying attention

- movies, wow... A LOT effort went here.

- reading bleeter and lifeinvader pages of other characters, very interesting at times...

- After a mission other characters leave an area in a vehicle/helicopter, if switch to them quickly you arrive there just like that with them on their way, they don't disappear. I still can't exactly grasp how this switching mechanic and character positions really work, amazing.

etc etc, most detailed game ever easily.

Got Amanda's (Micheal's wife) car fixed as Franklin and in addition to getting general repairs, I bought the "La Cucaracha" novelty horn. A few missions later, I use her car as Micheal and it still has that horn!

clothes get wet.

And only up to where the character submerses themselves in water.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Oh yeah, another early game one.

Lamar says your haircut sucks so you have to go to the barber to change it. I went but didn't change it. Next cutscene he comments on how I still have the same hair and insults it again.

gruenel

Spent $50,000 on pimping my car at Los Santos Customs.

Drove outside and parked on the side of the street.

Some random guy comes along, starts to stare at my car and takes pictures of it. Says "You got a killer car!" or something along those lines.

That blew my mind :D

spats

Spent $50,000 on pimping my car at Los Santos Customs.

Drove outside and parked on the side of the street.

Some random guy comes along, starts to stare at my car and takes pictures of it. Says "You got a killer car!" or something along those lines.

That blew my mind :D

Wow, that's pretty rad.

kazebyaka

Banned
When i decided to go hang out with a Michael's son, they were talking about going somewhere else and suddenly a wild mission objective appeared and Michael said something like "Alright, but first i gotta some business to deal with". It was random, but so authentic.

Top Bottom