• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

hey gaf, i thought i'd share this little mega man art project i just finished

jarosh

so let me explain really quick: you all know those mosaic pictures composed of hundreds or thousands of little pictures. well this is one made out of ~1'500 mega man screenshots. they're not completely random, however, they're taken from playthroughs of mega man 1 - 6 (one screenshot taken every x seconds). every stage is in there, from every classic nes mega man game.

the idea was to have one screenshot for every pixel of the mega man sprite and then have the sprite surrounded by the remaining screenshots.

now, in theory there shouldn't be any duplicates, i took just the right amount of screenshots - however, what you see here is actually a composite of several different mosaics and there's been a LOT of manual editing too, a lot of photoshop work etc. it's possible that several of the tiles show up twice or even three times. but the majority of the tiles are unique, even the ones that look very similar. took me several weeks to finish the whole thing.

i also made a little gallery with all the boxes and cartridges of all the games from every region (at the very bottom).

and there's what you could call a little easter egg in there (for my own convenience really :p ): two rows of screenshots at the bottom (surrounded by a black outline) that show all the weaknesses of robot masters, wily castle bosses and wily machines. all of those screenshots were edited by hand (and it took fucking FOREVER). you'll see it in the detail shots.

the whole thing was printed on canvas and mounted on a wooden frame. full size: 120 x 109 cm (that's about 4 ft tall).

here goes...

ammc1.jpg

ammc2.jpg

ammc3.jpg

ammc4.jpg

ammc5.jpg

ammc6.jpg

ammc7.jpg

ammc8.jpg

ammc9.jpg

ammc10.jpg

ammc11.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hot damn!

Awesome job dood.
Hey do you like Megaman? ;)

I would pay you a lot of money to make me one of these in Zelda / Starcraft / Castlevania form (in order of preference).

A+, amazing.

Sill4

jarosh said:
oh yeah, in case you guys haven't figured it out by now: i really like mega man :p
You going to make some coin with this project? Gaf alone would put your kids through college :lol

jarosh said:
oh yeah, in case you guys haven't figured it out by now: i really like mega man :p

Now go do this with a game series you don't like. It's the only way to do something more impressive :lol

Odrion

Banned
I love it when someone pulls off a mosaic picture without cheating and altering the color of the photos.

I love this, this is incredible.

jarosh

Odrion said:
I love it when someone pulls off a mosaic picture without cheating and altering the color of the photos.

I love this, this is incredible.
you're giving me too much credit. the tiles for the sprite did have some slight color correction applied to them. it wouldn't have worked otherwise. however, i did consciously opt for only minor color changes (not more than +/-~20%), that's why it needed so much manual editing. the screenshots surrounding the sprite were slightly faded but otherwise had nothing done to them (except for some cropping).

Top Bottom