• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear SCEE: thanks for wasting my data cap

I really don't think I could live in any country with Draconian data caps like this.
It's so fucking retarded because it is not some crazy finite resource or anything.
Yeah I understand there are costs related to bandwidth and such but for all intents and purposes it is still an infinite resource when compared to anything else in the world we pay for.

Satchel

Banned
Ah this thread is hypocrisy and double standards at their finest.

I think the bigger issue here is that the OP doesn't like God of War. That's just wrong. Everyone has to like God of War. Its the law.

NinjaBoiX

You turn background downloading on, then call an inanimate object "rude" (seriously, what?) for doing what it's meant to?

What a strange OP.

So I turned on my PS3 the other day and noticed that the system had downloaded the beta for God of War: Ascension. I suppose that SCEE thought it was being really helpful, doing all the work for me so that I could have access to this wonderful beta with no effort on my part.

Except:

A) I live in a country with data caps, so downloading a 1.5GB file without my permission is just bloody rude.
B) I don't like God of War, so it's even more annoying.

Fortunately, I have a data cap at the larger end of the scale, so it's just annoying. But base data caps here start at 30GB, so that's a good sizable chunk wasted on something that people didn't ask for.

People moan about the ads on XBL, but I find this far more intrusive and overbearing. Bad decision making is bad.

/rant

And yes, I sent them a complaint.

So you're complaining because YOU haven't turned off a setting to NOT download suggestions etc?

Really stupid posts like this complaining because you didn't RTFM are a bit pointless.
I can see Sony taking this extremely seriously, I would imagine they may even pay for your internet for a year.

kerrak

I'm considering creating a thread blaming sony that the god of war beta wasn't automatically downloaded to my ps3...

NinjaBoiX

Seriously OP, you referred to your PlayStation as "rude". That's right, in inanimate pile of plastic and metal.

That's says it all about this thread.

softie

You also should have got LBP2 automatically then, because it was also a selected game to auto-download.
I you haven't got that, you must have switched on this option not long ago unintentionally when switching your PS+ settings.

Caps Schmaps! :D

ed0hm9b.jpg

My usage last month, that's normal right?

smr00

Banned
1.- Get better internet
2.- You can turn it off
3.- Get better internet FFS
Some of us aren't graced with unlimited bandwidth, some of us are forced into shitty bandwidth caps and you would know this if you stepped outside your bubble once and awhile.

peetfeet

Just set it to update/download between midnight and 6am, downloads between these hours don't normally affect any data caps.

Mxrz

Side stepping all the other things wrong with this - Why is it only now an issue if you've been on plus for 'eons'? There was some pretty hefty games last summer, not to mention that 17GB DCU beta years back.

bovo

This thread has just reminded me that I had to turn off the parental lock to find out what had been downloaded for me, and forgot to put it back on...

(I also didn't know that there was now the option to select what kind of auto-downloads you want, and also got annoyed that my increasingly noisy PS3 was on half the night downloading it)

davious88

Banned
So I turned on my PS3 the other day and noticed that the system had downloaded the beta for God of War: Ascension. I suppose that SCEE thought it was being really helpful, doing all the work for me so that I could have access to this wonderful beta with no effort on my part.

Except:

A) I live in a country with data caps, so downloading a 1.5GB file without my permission is just bloody rude.
B) I don't like God of War, so it's even more annoying.

Fortunately, I have a data cap at the larger end of the scale, so it's just annoying. But base data caps here start at 30GB, so that's a good sizable chunk wasted on something that people didn't ask for.

People moan about the ads on XBL, but I find this far more intrusive and overbearing. Bad decision making is bad.

/rant

And yes, I sent them a complaint.

Your fault, it asks you what features you want to enable when turning on + automatic updates :p

softie

This thread has just reminded me that I had to turn off the parental lock to find out what had been downloaded for me, and forgot to put it back on...

(I also didn't know that there was now the option to select what kind of auto-downloads you want, and also got annoyed that my increasingly noisy PS3 was on half the night downloading it)

This option was there since the beginning of the autoload feature. ;-)

Melchiah

I truly dislike the idea of shifting the blame, and someone even suggesting to sue a company for something as trivial as this, when the fault clearly lies at the user's end. Take a goddam responsibility for your own actions, or lack thereof.

The OP obviously didn't have any objections when he got PlayStation All-Stars beta via the service. Too bad in the real world all users can't define which betas they want, and which they don't.

And it seems like this thread was partly intended as a flamebait for God of War.

Nokterian

Datacap? Thank god i do not have that. I can dowload for unlimited to beyond here in the netherlands. Datacap is such a dumb move by a ISP.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've never had auto downloads on, more for lack of wanting spam than any data concerns (don't have a cap and no FUP during the night)

is there anything good comes down from it?

TBH I'd like them to do auto downloads if I buy something (even a demo for £0.00) from the web store.

Oppo

I truly dislike the idea of shifting the blame, and someone even suggesting to sue a company for something as trivial as this, when the fault clearly lies at the user's end. Take a goddam responsibility for your own actions, or lack thereof.

The OP obviously didn't have any objections when he got PlayStation All-Stars beta via the service. Too bad in the real world all users can't define which betas they want, and which they don't.

And it seems like this thread was partly intended as a flamebait for God of War.

No kidding. I've seldom seen a user squirm so much when the fault was clearly their own. Just couldn't (wouldn't) accept a simple mistake.

I remember that option when I got PS+ and that was when it launched.

Cha

Same thing happened after I subscribed to plus. Luckily I noticed it downloading, and stopped it in time (and unchecked the automatic download option). My cap is 5Gig per month :/

Melchiah

I remember that option when I got PS+ and that was when it launched.

Yeah, I set it off at first, as I thought it would download things I don't need, but set it on later on. I don't really remember if it has downloaded anything for me.

Duffyside

Banned
Same thing happened after I subscribed to plus. Luckily I noticed it downloading, and stopped it in time (and unchecked the automatic download option). My cap is 5Gig per month :/

Five gigs!? Why even bother having Plus then? Geez, that stinks.

May I ask where you live?

You fucked up, own up to it, also, you're madder at it being GoW instead of something else so why are you angry at using a feature you opted on?

Shiloa

When you first set up PS+, it asks you what features you want. However, if you have been a long PS+ member, it is on by default (as the option to choose which features was introduced in a certain fw update).

Top Bottom