• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker's Bad Fur Day Commentary

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Its very interesting hearing about the development culture at Rare, Its no wonder they never really fit with Microsofts more corporate culture.

Its very interesting hearing about the development culture at Rare, Its no wonder they never really fit with Microsofts more corporate culture.

I'm surprised about the liberties they enjoyed at Nintendo, it was probably great to be part of Rare back then.

Part 2 is already up

EDIT: not sure if they are serious but the inhouse competition between the "barns" sounds pretty awesome. Damn I wish there was some sort of video where we could see how all these amazing games were developed.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
In reference to their litmus test in part 2, I always check to see what happens when I run straight into a wall, but I was never cognizant of it. It's the little things.

Tagging, thanks a lot.

Its interesting all these videos revealing tidbits about Rare during the 90s. The Grant Kirkhope one on GG was also good.

I'd love to watch it... but the audio (and video, but more so the audio) quality is too bad. I can barely make out some of the things being said with my volume twice as high as normal.

these are awesome. such a great game (and remake IMO)

If the remake had retained the local multiplayer it would have been even better. I didn't give a damn about the more censored language, but the missing local multiplayer option was a serious hit for the game, imo :(

I'd love to watch it... but the audio (and video, but more so the audio) quality is too bad. I can barely make out some of the things being said with my volume twice as high as normal.

Come on, British English is not THAT bad, bro!

Moxx19

Banned
at the end of part 3 " Rare had some really good gameplay programmers back in the day...... they don't have any now!" LMFAO!

at the end of part 3 " Rare had some really good gameplay programmers back in the day...... they don't have any now!" LMFAO!

He also tries to get one of the guys there to admit the xbox one is tosh. Even though he's still working with microsoft.

It's an incredibly surreal commentary. Will watch till the end, though I wished it was better produced. And the fact that microsoft didn't allow them to have gate character called bill complaining about the vista in his farm window crashing is hog tosh.

Ban Puncher

Chris Seavor said:
People today are all 'Oh, it's a far more complicated business making games today, that's why there are 4000 people on them' but I would say the reason why there are 4000 people on them is that 3950 of them are fucking redundant cunts.

ZvazZ4Q.gif

Lijik

Oh man im excited as hell to listen to this. The quotes in this thread has me in stitches already.
(best N64 Rare platformer imo)

Coen

I'll watch when I'm finished with work. Nintendo needs to get these guys together and throw them some cash.

NotLiquid

Wow, Chris doesn't sound anything like Conker when talking casually. Doesn't sound like Slippy either. That's some range he has.

I wonder how well Grant Kirkhope and Chris Seavor get along. The two dudes have proven themselves to be great commentators, would probably be good duo at taking the piss out of things.

Never played Conker (or any N64 RARE game besides Perfect Dark and JFG, actually) but I must watch this later. Saw part 1, it was awesome.

I am sad Nintendo sold RARE, and they are probably sad about it, too. lol

Peru

Heh they're going off.

Wow Conker had animated 3D mouths when characters speak. This game was pretty far ahead of other N64 games graphically.

Wow, Chris doesn't sound anything like Conker when talking casually. Doesn't sound like Slippy either. That's some range he has.

I wonder how well Grant Kirkhope and Chris Seavor get along. The two dudes have proven themselves to be great commentators, would probably be good duo at taking the piss out of things.

Very well I'd imagine as they're twitter buddies, I see them tweeting each other commonly. :p

Wow Conker had animated 3D mouths when characters speak. This game was pretty far ahead of other N64 games graphically.

This game is still the best looking one on N64, or the best looking game of its generation, basically.

Given the limitations the N64 had, this game did ASTOUNDING things with the console:

• Conker casts a dynamic shadow
  • Textures are pretty high res compared to the general blurriness of other N64 games
  • Every line of dialogue is fully voiced! That's really astounding given the fact that Conker only is 32 (or 64?) Megabytes in sizes. The only unvoiced texts are the tutorial texts, as far as I remember. They were voiced in the Xbox remake, but I don't remember them being voiced in the N64 version.
  • To top it off, the lips move in sync with what is spoken, at least for some of the more important characters. May I remind you that this game was released at a time where most game characters still only had their mouths flapp open and closed whenever they spoke?
  • It didn't even fucking need the Expansion Pak! How awesome is that?! Imagine what they could have done if they had used it, but they didn't. The whole game only needs 4 fucking Megabytes of RAM.
  • The game is 30fps most of the time and it seldomly goes down below 10, which is quite the feat, given that N64 games weren't the smoothest games out there.

I really, really love Conker's Bad Fur Day. Probably my most favorite N64 game I never owned.

Mael

This game is still the best looking one on N64, or the best looking game of its generation, basically.

Given the limitations the N64 had, this game did ASTOUNDING things with the console:

• Conker casts a dynamic shadow
  • Textures are pretty high res compared to the general blurriness of other N64 games
  • Every line of dialogue is fully voiced! That's really astounding given the fact that Conker only is 32 (or 64?) Megabytes in sizes. The only unvoiced texts are the tutorial texts, as far as I remember. They were voiced in the Xbox remake, but I don't remember them being voiced in the N64 version.
  • To top it off, the lips move in sync with what is spoken. May I remind you that this game was released at a time where most game characters still only had their mouths flapp open and closed whenever they spoke?
  • It didn't even fucking need the Expansion Pak! How awesome is that?! Imagine what they could have done if they had used it, but they didn't. The whole game only needs 4 fucking Megabytes of RAM.
  • The game is 30fps most of the time and it seldomly goes down below 10, which is quite the feat, given that N64 games weren't the smoothest games out there.

I really, really love Conker's Bad Fur Day. Probably my most favorite N64 game I never owned.
Tutorials were voiced I'm near certain, I can still hear how Conker read them and quipped at how nice swimming was.
I'm not sure ALL tutorials were voiced though.
Also the music was astonishingly good for a game on a cart too, that wasn't so easy back then.
And multiplayer with bots too! not as advanced as Perfect Dark but still!

Ein Bear

Damn, everything in this is pure gold.

Edit: Interesting how Banjo-Kazooie was apparently more of a linear, Crash Bandicoot style game until they had a look at Conker 64.

Oh wow. I'm up to video 5, really good series of vids so far.

Such awesome little details in this game. Whistling to the music, tip toeing, music dynamically changing etc.

Rare have also always managed to pull off ridiculous graphics on every platform.

One of my favourite games ever. I wish there was a sequel :(

Ein Bear

"Oh look, it's like the Xbox One, only ours is butterflies. They get out of the way! We knew about next gen before next gen did."

Seavor's Wii U game is about a rusty old dog, he gave art of it:

BKiln5kCIAArj50.png

But he's very vague about if it is a Wii U game at heart, or a port of an upcoming mobile game:

Me said:
@conkerhimself @GoryDetail Also, is the Dog game a Wii U exclusive or is it a mobile-based game?
Chris Seavor said:
@GoldMetalSonic @GoryDetail WiiU is potentialy atm... Carefully read my tweet about it... Prnciple dev is still on mobile devices atm..

Me said:
@conkerhimself @GoryDetail It's hard to understand, like you're just focusing on mobile period, but the Dog game is mainly for Wii U period?
Chris Seavor said:
@GoldMetalSonic @GoryDetail I've been trying to think of a name for it.. Dog Game !!! ... Genius ;)

Oh you. XD

Anth0ny

Awesome. Will watch.

So they said Donkey Kong 64 required the Expansion Pak because the game would randomly crash without it and they couldn't find the problem. So they had to ship the Expansion Pak with every game and it was expensive as hell.

Interesting.

MYE

I paid like 50 dollars for a complete boxed copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day for Nintendo 64 about two years ago
I regret nothing. Awesome game <3

legacyzero

Banned
The multiplayer in this game was so amazing, too. (N64 version, NOT Xbox).

Nothing better than taking a ninja sword to a Tediz head and hearing that seething growl from his neckhole after LOL

Awesome. Will watch.

So they said Donkey Kong 64 required the Expansion Pak because the game would randomly crash without it and they couldn't find the problem. So they had to ship the Expansion Pak with every game and it was expensive as hell.

Interesting.

Hell, Perfect Dark was reason enough to own an Expansion Pack

heyf00L

Awesome. Will watch.

Interesting.

Yeah, and games that used the Expansion Pack had to pass two playtest reviews. I never thought of that. There's a big reason right there not to have modular consoles.

They mentioned that this really helped get Expansion Packs out there, though; but funnily enough I bought one for Rogue Squadron and then one of the reasons I didn't get DK64 was because I already had an Expansion Pack (although the main reason was I played a friend's copy and thought it didn't compare to Banjo-Kazooie).

Nothing better than taking a ninja sword to a Tediz head and hearing that seething growl
from his neckhole after LOL

My god, yes. So many good weekends of fun with buddies. Sleepovers were awesome between this and blitz.

FyreWulff

Nothing better than taking a ninja sword to a Tediz head and hearing that seething growl from his neckhole after LOL

It was a crime that they took out the original multi for the Xbox version. Automatically makes the N64 version the superior version for me

Top Bottom