• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Game Challenge 2 (Game Center CX2) English Patch finally complete!!

http://www.gccxpatch.com/

screen01.png

Kacho ON!

maxcriden

Ah! That's awesome. Thank you!!

ETA: wait, maybe this is a naive question, but is there no legal way to import the JP cart and apply the patch?

Neat, I remember importing this back in the day. The original too, since I assumed that wouldn't be localized but I was wrong, lol.

Keropon

Ah! That's awesome. Thank you!!

ETA: wait, maybe this is a naive question, but is there no legal way to import the JP cart and apply the patch?

I think you can get the cart, make a dump of it and apply the patch to it.
Then play it on a flashcart.
That would be the legal way

Neo Child

Banned
Been following this on a number of translation websites.

This is 100% patched right? The first game was so fun, can't believe this didnt get an overseas release. Time to hunt down a copy!

Been following this on a number of translation websites.

This is 100% patched right? The first game was so fun, can't believe this didnt get an overseas release. Time to hunt down a copy!

Everything has apparently been translated excluding the voiced clips, as there's over a thousand of those so they couldn't just switch in the 150 or so from the first game.

It's a shame especially since Yuri Lowenthal's young Arino had me laughing my ass off, but it was unavoidable I suppose.

randomkid

I wonder if Ray was still able to contribute, I think he was gonna edit?

I sure wish this game was still 30 bucks at Play Asia, I never thought this would actually happen!

Tohsaka

Nice, I didn't think it was this close to completion. I really liked the first one and was hoping this one would be translated someday.

jackal27

Banned
THE SEQUEL TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE GAMES OF ALL TIME! If you haven't played the first game, do it and play this one too. I am so pumped!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY MACARONI YESSSS!!!!

This is incredible, I didn't really expect this to be completed, but they did it!

Oh nice, I remember importing and trial and erroring my way through this when it first came out, but without the flavor text and magazines you really miss a lot, I'll definitely give this another playthough now, it's a really great selection of titles.

Installed and working perfectly.

Uhh...not sure if we're allowed to go in-depth with this or not, but Christ this patching process. Anyone familiar with this Xdelta thing?

Aeana

Uhh...not sure if we're allowed to go in-depth with this or not, but Christ this patching process. Anyone familiar with this Xdelta thing?

Just click the link to Xdelta GUI on the site and open it. Select the patch, select your ROM, then hit the patch button.

Just click the link to Xdelta GUI on the site and open it. Select the patch, select your ROM, then hit the patch button.

*headslap* wow do I feel dumb. I clicked the other Xdelta link they mentioned and was using this other weird one lmao. Thanks!

JEKKI

I got to meet the Kacho once! we exchanged business cards!

and by business cards, I mean I gave him my dentist appointment card =P

Been following the development, glad to see it's out in the wild. These guys have been meticulous so we should be in for a treat.

Aeana

Aside from some repeated words and occasional strange grammar in the magazines, it seems like a fairly good effort. However, it's very disappointing that masculine pronouns and things like that remain in place even if you choose a female avatar.

Wow! I was seriously just thinking about this the other day as I was looking at the Fire Emblem one (the 2nd game on DS), and thought well at least one of them made it to English *cry*.

Now no more crying! :D

Aeana

Wow! I was seriously just thinking about this the other day as I was looking at the Fire Emblem one (the 2nd game on DS), and thought well at least one of them made it to English *cry*.

Now no more crying! :D
I'm pretty sure the fan translation for the FE3 remake on DS came out years ago.

Chairhome

Known Issues
The No$GBA emulator has known issues with this game. The fog in Super Demon Returns is messed up, and the portraits in the Adventure game start to glitch out after a while. There is also a strange whitening effect overall on by default.
Desmume works flawlessly but enabling OpenGL may cause issues with some of the 3D textures like Arino's crown and your main character portrait. If you have sound issues in Desmume, particularly with Arino and the announcer, set your Sound Settings to "Synchronous Mode"
Save states in general are a bad idea with this game regardless of flash cart or emulator. Restoring from a save state frequently results in a crash soon after. You have been warned.
The voice data of Arino and the Announcer are left in Japanese in the game. There is no way to add subtitles and even if we could replace the sound data with other voices, there are 1290 voice samples from Arino alone in the game and another 50 or so from the announcer. A chart is in progress explaining what each one is, though may or common grunts or off-handed comments related to the game you are playing.
The RPG (Guadia Quest Saga) and (less so the) Adventure games have a mind boggling possible number of combinations of actions, situations, items, skills and dialogues. There may exist a random combination of these that results in something unexpected. All games have been tested from beginning to end, however.
The Adventure games and RPG use a variable width font in order to fit more of the dialogue on screen (which means characters like "i" and "l" don't take up as much space on screen as "o" or "s"; there is no padding of the slimmer characters). Exact spacing and alignment down to the pixel based on this is not possible.
Magazines and Manuals use a font that supports half-width characters just fine except for the apostrophe, which is double-byte. Most punctuation is double-byte but there is a workaround. Finding a way to make the apostrophe half-width is left for a future patch. This only affects the appearance of the apostrophe and the spacing left/right of it.
How you can help
Textual errors

I need to know the exact phrase you are talking about, including all punctuation and line breaks. Even if inefficient, a screenshot helps me the most.
If that is not realistic, tell me the scene or point in the game where it happened, including the context if applicable.
Graphical glitches

Graphics are a lot harder to change and may take time for me to get to them and/or fix them. Let me know where in the game something is glitched or missing and I'll see what I can do.
If you have a suggestion for something better, please include a sample file. Please note that palettes and sizes for each image may be severely limited, so things like anti-aliasing or titles that sprawl all over the background may not be possible.
Game crashes

In most cases, it is due to text running too far over the border of the screen/window or a missing or broken control code in the text. Tell me the exact text displayed on the screen just prior to the crash.
Make sure you tell them about any issues.

What's a good cheap ds flashcard that works on current 3ds firmware? R4i?

Oh wow, I didn't realize this was so close to finishing. I'll have to check it out. Can't wait to play Guadia Quest 2 in particular.

I'm pretty sure the fan translation for the FE3 remake on DS came out years ago.

Yes but I only just learned of it. Thats what I mean I was looking at the FE fan translation and remember wishing for both FE and GC CX2 translations back in the day. I was happy to have at least one (FE) but now I have both!

brainpann

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

I have been waiting for this forever. Just applied the patch so now I think I ll get into bed and play a bit while watching some GCX.

KACHO ON!

Top Bottom