• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mirror's Edge 2 details

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Before you ask, yes, this is EatChildren's website, but when he's told me things in the past, they've had a pretty solid record in terms of panning out.

EA gave a standard "We do not comment on rumors and speculation."

I can confirm that this matches up with previous EA statements about the game like (paraphrase) "We've done quite the opposite of making it a shooter."

RocketChainsaw said:
Rocket Chainsaw was lucky enough to see video content of the in-development game confirming much of the information provided below, but unfortunately cannot share due to privacy reasons.
- Faking nothing, the E3 2013 Mirror’s Edge 2 teaser was indeed entirely real time and generally unscripted, including the combat systems. Rocket Chainsaw has now seen both in motion in test environments, and they match up, graphically and mechanically.

- Target platforms are Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Mac.

- Reiterating statements from DICE, Mirror’s Edge 2 is a total reboot.

- Core goal of the reboot is to create an open world, living breathing city for you to explore.

- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world. A comparison to Journey‘s online feature was given as the closest example.

- Other general multiplayer components include co-op and competitive modes, such as time trials

- Rebooting the universe means new enemies. Mirror’s Edge 2 will include many AI opponents, some on equal footing to Faith. Among these are the standard cannon fodder Protectors, melee combat expert Sentinels, and armoured gun wielding Enforcers. We’ve been told that Faith does not have guns.

- DICE has taken on a lot of feedback from Mirror’s Edge in shaping the combat system for Mirror’s Edge 2. Heavy revisions have shaped the combat away from useless gunplay and one button combats (like the nut-punch) to a deeper system that emphasises speed and fluidity. Environment interaction is also a key feature of the combat system, Faith able to push, punch, and kick enemies out of the way, over ledges, tables, and railings. These physics driven interactions are combined with 1-2-3 punch/kick style combos, wall running, flips, and other martial arts moves, as well as brief grapples. Occasionally a third person take-down move will be used when an enemy is beaten, and “adaptive slow-motion” is used vary sparingly, mostly just to highlight cool sequences, like the E3 2013 trailer face punch. Rocket Chainsaw has seen all of these combat functions performed in real time, without scripting.

- While DICE are committed to providing a deeper combat system, melee combat is not the single focus of Mirror’s Edge 2. DICE does not consider Mirror’s Edge 2 as a brawler, but instead a racing game at heart. For the development team, the focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment. Even these changes to the combat system are being done to prevent issues with Mirror’s Edge where players would have a stretch of parkour with intermittent pace breaking stops to fight an opponent. DICE wishes to seamlessly integrate encounters and the combat system into the feeling of speed and parkour mastery, so players even while fighting are still on the move, making progress, and interacting with their environment.

- Its target release date is in 2016. Sorry kids. Fingers crossed it comes around earlier!
Source: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/exclusive-mirrors-edge-83422-infromation/

kadotsu

Banned
As long as the online isn't as invasive as NFS Rivals I'll be OK with the changes (also, mute all option please).

Kinsei

Banned
I'm still skeptical about the open world, but that multiplayer sounds like it could be amazing if it is done right.

I'm not mad about the 2016 release date. At least we know it's coming!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2016? That's a while but better than rushing it. Hope for some gameplay at E3.

When they unveiled it, I got the distinct impression that it was in development for maybe 4-6 months total at that point.

For an open world game, a 3 year turnaround isn't that ridiculous, but it is kind of a ridiculously early unveil.

Frolow

Banned
- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world. A comparison to Journey‘s online feature was given as the closest example.

This worries me.

Parablank

open world ME?

Yes_yes_yes.gif

Instro

The open world aspect is a little concerning considering how tightly designed the levels in ME1 were. That's a long time away though, hope it doesn't end up being vaporware.

sn00zer

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

Mumford

Mirror's Edge 2 is considered a "racing game at heart" holy hnnng.

I'm on mobile this is hard to quote.

Because this has gone so well for EA in the past.

Sort of worried, it's so far off though that I'll worry about this in late 2015 when the game is sort of close.

Blizzard

Banned
Always online DRM Mirror's Edge sequel would be like, a knife in my cold, dead heart. =(

The original was one of my favorite games. As long as there's some way to play it offline and/or disable people dropping in, the rest of what's described doesn't sound bad. But yeah demosthenes is right, I shouldn't worry about the online as much until it's nearer to releasing, ha.

One thing that surprises me is that they're targeting Mac as a platform. That means they have to be using OpenGL, correct? In which case, I wonder if they will try to do Linux as well? Presumably this will be Origin only so maybe they want to avoid the thing running on Steambox or something, who knows.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Everything sounds awesome, aside from the release date. Figured it would have been 2015. I wonder if they'll go for 60fps on consoles with this.

Open World? Sounds cool!

Always online for MP? I dunno... If MP was just for races or time trial ghosts, that would be fine. Would rather not have online 24/7 be a requirement though.

Jigorath

Banned
Mirror's Edge had such a great demo that I bought the game full price. And was then promptly disappointed when I found out the rest of the game revolved around an awful combat system and the actual free running got shoved to the sidelines. I hope this one works out better.

sn00zer

Always online DRM Mirror's Edge sequel would be like, a knife in my cold, dead heart. =(

The original was one of my favorite games. As long as there's some way to play it offline and/or disable people dropping in, the rest of what's described doesn't sound bad. But yeah demosthenes is right, I shouldn't worry about the online as much until it's nearer to releasing, ha.

One thing that surprises me is that they're targeting Mac as a platform. That means they have to be using OpenGL, correct? In which case, I wonder if they will try to do Linux as well? Presumably this will be Origin only so maybe they want to avoid the thing running on Steambox or something, who knows.
Hopefully it really is like Journey in that you can play ofline if you want

Mirror's Edge had such a great demo that I bought the game full price. And was then promptly disappointed when I found out the rest of the game revolved around an awful combat system and the actual free running got shoved to the sidelines. I hope this one works out better.

This isnt entirely true...the very last level has a lot of combat, but really to get the most out of the game just run run run

EA and always-online? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE WHY ARE YOU OKAY WITH THIS. Did you not see SimCity and Battlefield 4? Did you not see the many EA games that have had their servers turned off after as little as 18 months after a game's release?

If I can completely disconnect Mirror's Edge 2 from the internet and have it run just fine (minus the multiplayer components, obviously), then great. I ain't holding my breath.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
2016? Why did they unveil it so early?

I kinda feel with the 2016 it's an "ETA 2016" rather than locked in 2016. Could be very early 2016 or super late 2015 for all I know. I'd be hard to set up a firm release date for a game still a long way away.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2016? Why did they unveil it so early?

The theme of E3 2013 for EA seemed to be EA Sports and DICE.

They started by talking about their engines (Ignite and Frostbite) and then announced a bunch of projects from both, even if they were super early.

I suspect we will see them shift focus to BioWare and perhaps Visceral at this year's E3 in terms of multiple games.

Faking nothing, the E3 2013 Mirror’s Edge 2 teaser was indeed entirely real time and generally unscripted, including the combat systems. Rocket Chainsaw has now seen both in motion in test environments, and they match up, graphically and mechanically.

This makes me moist. The release date doesn't.

Aaron

I really wish they didn't feel the need to include combat. It's silly a courier is going to fight off armed and trained police officers. I don't want another Lara Croft mass murderer.

Open world kinda worries me. I think games like these work best when you have a smartly designed level layout. But this -

While DICE are committed to providing a deeper combat system, melee combat is not the single focus of Mirror’s Edge 2. DICE does not consider Mirror’s Edge 2 as a brawler, but instead a racing game at heart. For the development team, the focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment.

makes me feel good about the sequel. They know what the first game was at its core and its (hopefully) not being diluted down to make it a jack of all trades kinda thing.

sn00zer

Because of the implied optional MP, I assume it is not online required...Ill assume that until someonthing else is announced

Why more emphasis on combat? If anything they should go the other way and really play up the platforming and free running aspect since that's what got the game its following.

cdkee

Banned
I just hope Solar Fields makes the music. The OST was a reason I enjoyed the first so much. Still Alive was amazing. As was the music's ambience and intensity. Man....this game is not going to live up to my expectations :-(

Maybe I'm weird but I loved Mirror's Edge. Top 5 of last gen. I hope they expand on the creepy totalitarian nature of the city politics. Just because it wasn't explicit I think a lot of people missed the nuances of the city and the underlying plot.

tbm24

why the fuck does everything have to be open world.
Because why not? A game with the mechanics of Mirrors Edge in an open playground to explore and figure out all kinds of different ways to approach a target be it story or just your desire to climb a building is not a game we've experienced thus far. Also it's more true to the spirit of Parkour than it not being open world.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We’ve been told that Faith does not have guns.

You have no idea how happy this makes me. I'm in day one. Loved the first except my only complaint was the gunplay.

Silky

Banned
Why more emphasis on combat? If anything they should go the other way and really play up the platforming and free running aspect since that's what got the game its following.

While DICE are committed to providing a deeper combat system, melee combat is not the single focus of Mirror’s Edge 2. DICE does not consider Mirror’s Edge 2 as a brawler, but instead a racing game at heart. For the development team, the focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment.
o.o

Top Bottom