• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Game Challenge 2 (Game Center CX2) English Patch finally complete!!

I've only looked a little into it and I haven't tried it myself, but from what I've seen, DS flashcarts only work for DS's.

Aeana

BpHFo_qCYAA66eO.jpg:medium

Words cannot communicate how excited I am right now. The sequel to 2009's RPG of the year, I've been waiting to play it for so long. Bought the game when it came out and decided I'd go ahead and wait for the translation once it was announced, just because I played the first game in English first. The wait is overrr.

mclem

Gosh, this is fantastic news... except now I need to figure out how to get a legitimate copy of Game Center CX 2, and looking at Play-Asia, the numbers were... disheartening.

FSLink

Banned
What's a good cheap ds flashcard that works on current 3ds firmware? R4i?

I wish I had a DS flash card. (Do these work on 3DS anyways?). I loved Retro Game Challenge.

DSTWO. Also works on 3DS (but you may need to upgrade the firmware on the flashcart on a normal DS). There's an FTP app on there to be able to rip your legit copy of Retro Game Challenge 2 or Fire Emblem 12 or whatever.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
The third game not being localised and on a region locked system is the biggest tragedy of this one.

The 3rd game is by a different developer and is supposed to be pretty bad.

takoyaki

Wow, they really finished it!

Looooooved the first game without knowing what Gamecenter CX was, the localization was brilliant. I did import the second game but couldn't progress in the Famicom Tantei game because of the language barrier. Also, not understanding the chit-chat between the boys and Master Arino took away a lot of the charm.

Thanks fan-translation dudes!

Just a quick note based on comments from the author I've seen elsewhere that some issues with the text has been acknowledged. Most of the feedback seems to be on GBATemp right now but they will take feedback from all sources. If you see something off, just let them know!

Also, as an aside, the lead on this also happens to have written a book about the Japanese DDR community. If that's a subject that interests you, you may want to have a look!

(I'm not any way involved in the patch, just trying to help things along.)

Sorry for the bump but he just released version 1.0.1 of the patch. Grab it here: http://www.gccxpatch.com/download.html

Patch notes: "Fixes a number of text overrun issues and spelling/typos in the Adventure games, chats, phone conversations. Adds "Back" label to JoycoLand Game Instruction screen. Fixes potential issue with Guadia Quest Saga Title. Fixes magazine contents and consistency of names across manuals, magazines, chats and challenges."

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my.

I did not expect this.
The 3rd game is by a different developer and is supposed to be pretty bad.
Hmm... although I knew indieszero was not developing the 3DS game, I wouldn't have expected it to be bad. Does anyone know why it has this negative feedback?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone get a hard lock and errors when trying to read GameFan 85? Stupidly I forgot to save.

Edit - just got there again and nothing happened. Really weird.

Gosh, this is fantastic news... except now I need to figure out how to get a legitimate copy of Game Center CX 2, and looking at Play-Asia, the numbers were... disheartening.

Y'all should've gotten someone to send you a copy when they were still $15 four years ago :flex

The third game not being localised and on a region locked system is the biggest tragedy of this one.

It sounds like we dodged a bullet, actually.

Ogawa-san

It sounds like we dodged a bullet, actually.
Yep. From what I've played so far, this just about sums it up:
There’s no heart in any of these games, none of the tangible love for the classics that popped out of every pixel in the last ones. They’re not charming parodies, they’re just by-the-numbers games with pixel art.
Even being a below average game it sold well enough, so who knows. Here's hoping indieszero unbusy themselves in time for the 4th game, the Kacho deserves better.

Tain

that Wired article said:
There’s no heart in any of these games, none of the tangible love for the classics that popped out of every pixel in the last ones.

This isn't far from how I felt about the games in the original Game Center CX, lol.

I was slightly curious about the third since G.Rev was behind it, but I don't think even they could save the concept for me.

I haven't played GCCX1 or 2, because at the time Retro Game Challenge released I didn't know about the show and thought the game would just be some collection of generic 8 and 16-bit style plays at nostalgia, which is, ironically, more or less what GCCX3 has been so far from my experience (though with the addition of some references for fans of the show, which helps it go down a bit more easily). Not necessarily bad, just really unremarkable. So... I can't really comment on how it is compared to the other games, but if you ask me, you're not missing out on much.

That being said, I definitely plan to pick up the first two at some point, and I'll need to make sure to remember this for when I get around to the second.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the quality of the patch is really good.

However, even when translated, the text adventure game is pretty hard to play... I'm already stuck on the 2nd challenge where I need to find some guy on the map...

I haven't played GCCX1 or 2, because at the time Retro Game Challenge released I didn't know about the show and thought the game would just be some collection of generic 8 and 16-bit style plays at nostalgia, which is, ironically, more or less what GCCX3 has been so far from my experience (though with the addition of some references for fans of the show, which helps it go down a bit more easily). Not necessarily bad, just really unremarkable. So... I can't really comment on how it is compared to the other games, but if you ask me, you're not missing out on much.

That being said, I definitely plan to pick up the first two at some point, and I'll need to make sure to remember this for when I get around to the second.

I was really into GCCX3, but that was mostly because it was a fairly text-heavy game that was more or less at my level of Japanese and also because the first games were actually a bit more fun than some of the early games in the first two GCCX games.

That said, I hit a wall with the RPG due to its terrible fonts combined with higher reading level than the main game. Not only does it use more kanji I don't know, it also is nearly impossible to look up characters I don't know because of the super pixelated font.

The first two had some fun games but were particularly great for the last couple of games, Haggleman 3 and Gaudia Quest in the first, and Gaudia Quest 3 and Super Demon Returns (Demon Returns was quite good too). The shooters are fun too, but I don't care for the other games as much, and I actively hated the top-down racer until recently.
I couldn't really read any Japanese when I played part 2, so I'm sure the adventure games are great, but I didn't get much out of them. I do, however, love the massive selection of games in part 2.

I never unlocked the final game and never got far in the RPG, but GCCX3 isn't bad if you are a fan of the show, as it has a lot more participation from the cast. I like the witch Mario Bros game and the platformer eventually gets fun, but it just doesn't have any standout games.

I'm hearing another update for the patch is underway to fix a few more things.

But, that's not why I'm posting.

Without sharing overly personal details, the lead of this project, Aaron, is having some tough times financially. Despite this though, he feels guilty asking for donations, especially since the English patch was a team effort (though I'm convinced the whole project would have gone nowhere without Aaron to spearhead it).

If you want to help him out, he can accept donations via PayPal at archmiel2007 at gmail. If you enjoyed the patch at all, or if you just want to help out, please consider dropping him a bit as thanks.

baphomet

any chance someone would be so kind to email me the patch? if you don't care to please pm me so i can give you my email address.

the site with the patch is blocked where i'm currently at.

OmegaFax

The patch doesn't work on Mac. Isn't the right format. Really, really super wish websites would find a Mac user to test stuff out before suggesting it on their website. Nothing against their work ... but when something painfully simple needs an hour of troubleshooting and a dead end, might not be worth the trouble at all.

Edit: Totally worth the trouble. I'm just grumpy.

The patch doesn't work on Mac. Isn't the right format. Really, really super wish websites would find a Mac user to test stuff out before suggesting it on their website. Nothing against their work ... but when something painfully simple needs an hour of troubleshooting and a dead end, might not be worth the trouble at all.
It's more likely they had no Mac system to test on and spending thousands of dollars to buy a Mac in order to test that was likely not in the budget for a free fan-produced patch.

OmegaFax

What? There are XDelta patch applications on Mac. (Or you can just build the command-line patcher with Homebrew.)

It's more likely they had no Mac system to test on and spending thousands of dollars to buy a Mac in order to test that was likely not in the budget for a free fan-produced patch.

I didn't mean to sound so snarky.

Figured it out. MultiPatcher didn't work. Found an XDelta patcher for Android. Ended up using that.

MultiPatcher didn't recognize the .patch file. Did a bit of research and someone ran into the same problem I did a few years ago in a thread. The mirrors (and existence) of the converter/patcher used back then are all dead.

Did see a Java based patcher and a command line one for Linux/Unix and Mac OS X.

Being lazy and didn't personally compute all the alternatives that weren't in a nice UI.

I didn't mean to sound so snarky.

I was just confused. I realized that part of the problem is just that "XDelta" is actually two different formats -- xdelta1 and xdelta3 -- and most stuff that advertises support for the format doesn't make it easy to see which.

emb

Every time XSeed releases anything other than Ys these days, I can only think "This and not RGC 2?" (Or Half Minute Hero 2, or Trails SC. They broke my heart so much.)

Glad there's an English version available. Though I can't really get into playing emulators, and I don't have a flash card. I'm not that worried about playing it myself at this point, but it sure is nice to see that it's an option.

Every time XSeed releases anything other than Ys these days, I can only think "This and not RGC 2?" (Or Half Minute Hero 2, or Trails SC. They broke my heart so much.)

XSEED: We Suck At Bringing Out The Second Game In A Series™.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Glad there's an English version available. Though I can't really get into playing emulators, and I don't have a flash card. I'm not that worried about playing it myself at this point, but it sure is nice to see that it's an option.
Half Minute Hero 2 on Steam bomba'ed apparently, so I'm sure they are happy they didn't listen to internet fans. lol

mclem

Right, I have a second-hand version of the game winging its way to me. I think that'll make it the fifth Japanese game I own (after Sin & Punishment, Rhythm Heaven, both Ouendans).

Now to do some research into flash cards so I can play on the native hardware. I still have my DS around, so while I'd rather play on a 3DS, there's the potential firmware update issue there.

Top Bottom