• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were you favorite non-first party games on the Wii U?

Tekken Tag 2 had a bunch of exclusive features like costumes, modes and the ability to draw on characters.

Sonic Racing Transformed had an exclusive asymmetric battle mode as well as 5-player split-screen with the Gamepad.

Black Ops 2 was also awesome with the excellent controller support.

All launch titles.

As someone who owns like 50 third-party retail titles off-TV play was awesome.

I have even even gotten into the Eshop.

If I had time I would write much, much more. These are the real short highlights.

I honestly never expected to see Devil's Third pop up in here, lol. I've always been a little tempted to try it since it went down to $30, but still heard so many bad things about it that I haven't.

If you talk to the people who have actually played (here on Gaf or user reviews across the web) it you'll see the hate is way overblown. It's a ton of really dumb fun. There's a lot of interesting stuff too it. Too bad with the servers off you lose the multiplayer as well as the leaderboards.

Domaje

I honestly never expected to see Devil's Third pop up in here, lol. I've always been a little tempted to try it since it went down to $30, but still heard so many bad things about it that I haven't.

Another game I just thought I'd chime in with that I just remembered...even though it lacked some of the characters because they brought SOME of the DLC over, but not all (ugh), Injustice Gods Among Us still runs and looks great on Wii U. This was another game that just came out at a time that I was supporting all games I could...bought all the overpriced DLC in hopes they'd put em all out eventually, but alas.
Devil's third multiplayer is one of the best things you could have done with a wii U. Now that servers are down I think it's still worth a try at a budget price if you are intrested in action games. Single player it's an experimental-arcade-action game that's pretty fun. Not polished but damn fun. Some sections and characters are so absurd that create hylarious moments. You can meet bugs and gliches but nothing game breaking.

Malio

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, that's it. Pretty sad a Wii re-make was the best they could muster.

Oh, and I got Affordable Space Adventures for $1. That was good for a couple hours.

retroman

Sonic_%26_All-Stars_Racing_Transformed_box_artwork.png

Sizzel

ehh...non NIntedo pub'd? I guess Shovel Knight which I had to play there first. My perception was outside of Zombi U ( which is polarizing) most good games that were non-Nintendo came out on other systems or from other systems. People seem to dig MonHun, but it isn't my cup of tea...that might be the game.

I think it is ok that it is a first party delivery device. I would have still bought a PS4 if it was only for exclusives. Xbox One.. Is the only console I have bought that I feel like I screwed up.

Bulbasaur

Banned

I got it for $9 after they closed the servers but I still enjoyed it. I liked that you didn't have to think much, and Ivan is badass! He drinks whiskey from a flask and smokes cigarettes in his idle animations!

PtM

Banned
Mass Effect 3 on Wii U and AC4 on Wii U is amazing.
I tried running AC4 on an offline system, that shit wouldn't boot without a D1 patch.

Oh yeah, I'm still rooting for Darksiders 1 to come out and be good!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Both are great games no matter which platform. The Wii U versions add useful touchscreen features while maintaining comparable performance to the PS360 versions.
I was super bummed when I found out that the earlier Blacklist versions had local co-op. Would have been nice with two screens or at least split screen.

TheMoon

Me neither because it's a first party game :D

Otherwise it belongs here.

I was super bummed when I found out that the earlier Blacklist versions had local co-op. Would have been nice with two screens or at least split screen.

What earlier versions? :) It was a simultaneous release. A hilarious case of "this one DOES have online but no offline multiplayer" ...as opposed to all the other butchered ports (Sniper Elite V2 says hi!)

Fbh

I know this is not the answer you are looking for.

But Platinum isn't owned by Nintendo so they aren't first party. And Bayonetta 2 and the Wonderful 101 are not only my favorite WiiU games but some of my favorite games ever

Monster Hunter 3
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Resident Evil: Revelaitons
Freedom Planet
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
ZombiU

Devil's Third is probably the best one, next to MH3U, but that was published by Nintendo so... does it count? Best new game I've played in ages (best control scheme too)

gblues

Banned
But it is. Your problem is wanting to believe that first party means something other than hardware manufacturer published.

By your logic, Dragon Quest 6, 7, and 8 on 3DS are first-party games.

When most people are talking about "first party" games, they're referring to the developer, not the publisher.

Haganeren

It's not my favorite of the modern Sonic games, but god damn it's awesome playing a game that looks that pretty at 60 fps. Again, another game I wish I liked more, because it wasn't bad...it just wasn't as good as Sonic Generations or Sonic Colors.

The thing is, as a fan of older Sonic games, i never was a fan of the Sonic Color/Generation's boost gameplay... It's "kinda cool" but a bit shallow to my taste. What i loved at the time on Genesis was those huge level you could explore if you had enough momentum or not.

Sonic Lost World really did a gameplay i appreciated, the original game only had 3 lives which was perfect because sometime, you had to replay the level and you could take another road... Unfortunatly, half of the game's content were slide/automatically running level which... Aren't exactly as good in my opinion. This is where i think Sonic COlor/Generation are better, their level Design is consistently cool.

But as a general philosophy, Lost World is really something i loved to play, when it clicked, it clicked better than any 3D Sonic Games i have ever played... And when it didn't clicked, it was just annoying...

When most people are talking about "first party" games, they're referring to the developer, not the publisher.

I think Dragon Quest 6,7 and 8 3DS are called "Second party" games. Games that are helped by the console constructor but is actually totally another developer's work.
That's how i always called them, Metroid Other M is one too, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is also one... Nintendo have a lot of Second Party stuff.

TheMoon

The DQ games and other games Nintendo localized and published in the West after the fact are clearly distinct from titles they have produced and lent development support to such as Lego City and others.

Lack of Bayonetta 2 on the front page is worrying. You are slipping GAF.

Is not third party game.

Lack of Bayonetta 2 on the front page is worrying. You are slipping GAF.

Yeah, it was clearly backed by Nintendo, although again, I can see a case for it to be considered third party.

What I personally consider true first party Nintendo, are games that are produced in house, or have creative leads working from Nintendo on the project. Smash Bros fits that bill, because while Namco worked on it, it was still led by Nintendo individuals.

In the case of Bayonetta, and Lego City Undercover though...Nintendo just fronted the cash for the most part, but the creative process was still handled by non-Nintendo employees.

Edit: After making this thread, I did some wandering around stores today and picked up a bunch of Wii U games that I found cheap, lol.

Not sure of the quality of some of these, but the price was right as I spent no more than $9 on each of them. I picked up ZombiU, Batman Arkham Origins, Book of Unwritten Tales 2, Splinter Cell Blacklist, and Sniper Elite V2.

Edit: After making this thread, I did some wandering around stores today and picked up a bunch of Wii U games that I found cheap, lol.

Not sure of the quality of some of these, but the price was right as I spent no more than $9 on each of them. I picked up ZombiU, Batman Arkham Origins, Book of Unwritten Tales 2, Splinter Cell Blacklist, and Sniper Elite V2.

Where? I haven't seen any of these in stores other than Gamestop for years (except Unwritten tales but that's a limited release).

Where? I haven't seen any of these in stores other than Gamestop for years (except Unwritten tales but that's a limited release).

Most I did get at Gamestop, but I got Batman at a used book store that happens to sell video games, and they were offering 50% off all their prices in the store today only, so it went from $15, down to $7.50.

Hilarion

Bayonetta 1+2.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. (A fantastic racing game)
Wonderful 101. (A fantastic title no one talks about enough)

What I personally consider true first party Nintendo, are games that are produced in house, or have creative leads working from Nintendo on the project. Smash Bros fits that bill, because while Namco worked on it, it was still led by Nintendo individuals.

.....Like who?

Bayonetta 1+2.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. (A fantastic racing game)
Wonderful 101. (A fantastic title no one talks about enough)

Bayo 1 and 2, W101, Zombi U and MH3U by far.

Those games were practically the reason I bought a Wii U

W101 is first-party, and no debate to be made there. The IP is 100% owned by Nintendo.

Okay, I was mistaken thinking that Sakurai was still with Nintendo, but I guess I still feel like he comes from that Nintendo DNA, especially since he's the creator of one of their iconic characters Kirby.

I don't think Sakurai was ever at Nintendo. He was at HAL Labs, which I don't think was ever owned by Nintendo.

I don't think Sakurai was ever at Nintendo. He was at HAL Labs, which I don't think was ever owned by Nintendo.

I know I'm not perfect when it comes to knowledge about this stuff xD but my statement still stands, he created one of Nintendo's most memorable characters, and HAL labs may have not been a part of Nintendo officially, but Iwata was there too, and he really embodied a lot of what helps make that NIntendo magic, so too does HAL labs I think.

Quick challenge, I have 42 retail third-party (not published by Nintendo) games for Wii U, all bought new.

I'm wondering if anyone also has a high amount or possibly has me beat?

I have over 10 more third-party games retail games I plan to get.

Quick challenge, I have 42 retail third-party (not published by Nintendo) games for Wii U, all bought new.

I'm wondering if anyone also has a high amount or possibly has me beat?

I have over 10 more third-party games retail games I plan to get.

I created this thread, and honestly even I'm surprised that that many exist lol

I know it might be a long list, but I'm curious to hear what they all are.

arlucool

Oh yeah, I'm still rooting for Darksiders 1 to come out and be good!
On Twitter, THQ Nordic was recently asked if the project was cancelled, and they replied with a simple "No".
I think is safe to assume that they are working on Switch.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Bayonetta 2 is the top contender for me. Nintendo published or not. I guess file it under "second party" as Reggie tried to coin it...

ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Shovel Knight, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Affordable Space Adventures also were spectacular.

I created this thread, and honestly even I'm surprised that that many exist lol

I know it might be a long list, but I'm curious to hear what they all are.

In recent years I've been really into collecting games so I have a few spreadsheets with lists for various of platforms of what own and what I want to get.

Here's my current Wii U games I own Third-party one:

007 Legends
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition
Batman Arkham Origins
Ben 10: Omniverse 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Darksiders II
Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut
Disney Infinity 1.0
Disney Infinity 2.0
Ducktales
ESPN Sports Connection
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams DC
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Just Dance 2013
Just Dance Kids 2014
Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate
NBA 2K13
Need For Speed: Most Wanted U
Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge
Rabbids Land
Rayman Legends
Rodea: The Sky Soldier
Scribblenaults Unlimited
Scribblenaults Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure
Shovel Knight
Skylanders Giants
Skylanders Superchargers
Skylanders Swap Force
Skylanders Trap Team
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Lost World
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
The Amazing Spiderman
The Amazing Spiderman 2
The Legend of Kay
Warriors Orochi 3: Hyper
Zombi U

The only one I really regret is the Ben 10 one. It was years ago and $4-$5 at Target and I was like why the hell not? But I reallh dislike that showm.

Another was Just Dance Kids which was also $4-$5. Thus once at least for me has the curiosity of being this kids spinoff.

I feel the attitude with both was "I own a lot of Wii U games which is unusual, why don't I just add to that".

Just Dance 2013 was new in a Wii Remote Plus bundle for $5 at Walmart. Insane deal.

Other than that I actually like the games I bought and have a use for them. Hence why no Lego on there because I've never cared for the gameplay after checking out Lego Pirates of the Caribbean on 3DS. I may get the Batman/DC games though, as I'm a fan of that IP.

On Twitter, THQ Nordic was recently asked if the project was cancelled, and they replied with a simple "No".

I really wish it would come out on Wii U :( I just wanted to own both on the same console.

That was a month ago though. I'm not feeling confident. I already bought it on PS3 but would love to play it off-TV on Wii U.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut was probably the best. I liked it better than any other version of that game, the gamepad was used really well there.

ZombiU, what an underappreciated game. No idea why reviewers were weak on it, it did exactly what it was trying to do, in my opinion.

Tons of glitches and it leaned heavily on melee combat with a single, simple weapon.

But yeah, I thought some of those harsher reviews were way off, I had a great time with that game. There was so much great stuff in it and it remains one of the best uses of the gamepad.

LoveCake

Black Ops 2

60fps Wii Remote first person shooter feels so fucking good it makes me really wish IR aiming was an option for PC shooters. FPS games on Wii were great, but finally having good visual fidelity and 60fps makes it my favorite way to play shooters. It helps this game in particular is one of the best in the series.

The best thing about Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 WiiU was the people that played it online, it is the best CoD online experience I have ever had, people worked with you and worked as a team, there was no chat or anything, now I may get some flak for this but the main reason I think is because everyone playing was an adult, there were no ten year old playing this version, there were no campers or people running about like crazies.

ZombiU, was the bundle I got and it was and still is the best version of the game.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted U, was a very good game and I loved it.

My WiiU collection:
gweiDg9.jpg

The Wonderful 101, though is the game to end all games, it is genera defining as it's a game of it's own singular genera, it could only be created because of the concept of the WiiU, yes it's an odd, weird and strange game and it is rubbish and a 0 out of 10 unless you 'get' the game and when you do 'get it' then you get it.

I guess it really adds up, some of those I probably won't end up buying anymore because of the types of games they are. Disney Infinity is the one toys to life game I never cared for, but I too also own all those Skylanders games. I really wish the first one had come to Wii U, then I could have the whole series on one platform...what sucks is the first one did come out in Japan, but not the US.

257001-SkylandersJapanWiiU.jpg

I want it!

Jealous of that Giana Sisters physical version...saw it once at a gamestop at a while back, but didn't get it for some stupid reason.

How does Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper run on the Wii U? I've noticed it for $10 on gamestop's site. No local stores have it in stock, but can still be ordered online. I know they put out a more featured version on PS4, but I'm just thinking it might be cool to have on Wii U. Do you know what's different about the Wii U one? What's missing, and what's unique if anything?

PtM

Banned
:[[[
How wouldn't it be cancelled if it came for another console instead?

TheMoon

Yeah, it was clearly backed by Nintendo, although again, I can see a case for it to be considered third party.

In the case of Bayonetta, and Lego City Undercover though...Nintendo just fronted the cash for the most part, but the creative process was still handled by non-Nintendo employees.

You basically have a bunch of really good games now. Sniper Elite V2's problem was it's price tag coupled with all the missing multiplayer modes. The core game itself is really good. The rest of them are great anyway. :)

After picking up Arkham Origins today, I just remembered that that 2D Arkham game also came out on Wii U. I never played it before, and no one's mentioned it, but was wondering if anyone knew if it was any good?

Edit: Was also curious if anyone's played that Pier Solar game? I feel like when it just used to be a Mega Drive/Genesis game, it was so praised, but once it finally came to other platforms...never heard much about it.

Top Bottom