• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Designated Survivor |OT| President Bauer Power Hour

Jarmel

Banned
QlGIuO5.jpg

Kiefer Sutherland is back in a political thriller reminiscent of 24. Designated Survivor deals with the fallout of one of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil and allows Kiefer to use his talents to maximum effect. It is currently airing on ABC at 10 ET/ 9C on Wednesdays for a run of 13 episodes.

Synopsis:
On the night of the State of the Union, an explosion claims the lives of the President and all members of the Cabinet except for Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Tom Kirkman, who had been named the designated survivor. Kirkman is immediately sworn in as President, unaware that the attack is just the beginning of what is to come.

Cast:

330x330-Q90_035ccacdb907ba4978ac9b8f702f4f57.jpg
330x330-Q90_29ea47085839f6a94de2823aa27988f1.jpg
330x330-Q90_f42350f8f1d2c55a4bb4b502bcc43d2a.jpg

• Kiefer Sutherland as George Sears Tom Kirkman
  • Natascha McElhone as Alex Kirkman
  • Adan Canto as Aaron Shore

330x330-Q90_701f2d9bdcd455975d992e4d79dc8175.jpg
330x330-Q90_9cd525cf0325aeaf9fbb471cb3ce174b.jpg
330x330-Q90_50d44beb0b809dc3ea2f73b732a50343.jpg

• Maggie Q as Hannah Wells
  • LaMonica Garrett as Mike Ritter
  • Italia Ricci as Emily Rhodes

BDqN1yK.jpg

Videos:
Links:
t0Uitd1.jpg

Reviews:
Staff:
5fa976679ba54373c3a26e64ed0b1c1c.gif

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Nice quick-n-dirty OT, Jarmel!

There were some corny moments, but I generally liked the pilot. I'll be back next week.

Subbed

It's weird seeing Kiefer show emotion, after watching all those years as Jack Bauer.

Good start though, I'm in for the ride.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Just learned of the existence of this tonight. So how was it? edit: Good enough, apparently! That's enough for me. Time for a new show for me to watch!

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
That was pretty damn good. Hopefully not too much drug dealing song drama and more Mr.President get down! drama In the future.

I know it's TV and all, but in the real world I don't think the first place they'd stick the new POTUS is the White House if someone actually managed to bomb the Capitol. Seems spectacularly dumb to assume any place in DC is safe and they can set up command anywhere.

This is looking pretty good otherwise, cliche military asshole aside.

jschreier

Everything about this show is already perfect, from the hawkish general to the boring family member subplot. All we need is a mole in the next episode or two and it'll be full 24.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I forgot this existed. Enjoyed the trailer a few months back.

I'll be tuning in next week and looking for a (legal) way to stream the pilot.

Jarmel

Banned
The episode directors for the show are actually pretty impressive. One guy is a big 24 alum, another did a number of BSG episodes, and the episode today was directed by a Sherlock alum. I'll do a separate staff section.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Only thing I found jarring was that Jack didn't know what a designated survivor was.
Otherwise, I was thought it was a pretty entertaining episode and can't wait for more.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I know it's TV and all, but in the real world I don't think the first place they'd stick the new POTUS is the White House if someone actually managed to bomb the Capitol. Seems spectacularly dumb to assume any place in DC is safe and they can set up command anywhere.

This is looking pretty good otherwise, cliche military asshole aside.

Yeah, they'd totally just throw him up on Air Force One and surround it with F-22s.

I don't even know what Maggie q is going to fit in

I was wondering why she was on screen every time she was on screen.

The episode directors for the show are actually pretty impressive. One guy is a big 24 alum, another did a number of BSG episodes, and the episode today was directed by a Sherlock alum. I'll do a separate staff section.

yooooo, who from BSG?

Line_HTX

@ABCDesignated posed an interesting question.

"Who do you think picked Tom Kirkman to be the #DesignatedSurvivor?"

President Richmond
General Cohrane
Aaron Shore
Someone else

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
@ABCDesignated posed an interesting question.

"Who do you think picked Tom Kirkman to be the #DesignatedSurvivor?"

President Richmond
General Cohrane
Aaron Shore
Someone else
Damn, didn't think from that angle, if it is one; that's pretty fucked up.

Jarmel

Banned

Finally got around to watching the episode. Yep enjoyed it a lot. You know Kiefer is having fun in the role. He's gonna have numerous chances to show off his range and I imagine he's going to get a kick out of that. Something I thought the episode did a good job of was pacing in that there's a very quick feel to the episode which highlights how chaotic and sudden everything is. I also thought some of the slower moments were great such as Tom throwing up in the bathroom or when he was entering the White House and everything slowed down.

the trailer already made me really interested in the premise, and that pilot totally delivered. the chaos and tension Kiefer's character feels in the situation was almost palpable. I'm in for the rest of the series.
is this supposed to be a mini series, or smaller 13 eps seasons?

Jarmel

Banned
the trailer already made me really interested in the premise, and that pilot totally delivered. the chaos and tension Kiefer's character feels in the situation was almost palpable. I'm in for the rest of the series.
is this supposed to be a mini series, or smaller 13 eps seasons?

I just checked, 13 episodes.

Thezez

Banned
Funnily enough this premise would've made for a great season of 24.

Pilot kept my interest, though I didn't like the chat with the Iranian Ambassador, Tom snapped into badass President mode far too quickly.

So this is how Big Boss gets back into Foxhound

Kaz... I'm already the President.

That was a great opener. Seriously. This show definitely seems to want to scratch the neo-conspiracy itch that 24 did. Kiefer Sutherland also finally gets to show his range and I like that he has to play a nebbish dude that has to get badass quick.

Just keep the drug dealer son plot to a minimum.

And more Maggie Q and Italia Ricci pls

Less asshole General

I really like the poster too. Gives off that cool 70s political conspiracy thriller vibe.

designated-survivor-abc.jpg

Top Bottom