• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem for DS!

Tenbatsu

245zpzk.png

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/

FSLink

Banned
Whoo, Mystery of the Emblem remake.
Though I still think they should have just stuck FE1+3 on the same card like they did with the original SNES remake of FE1.
I heard they did that because it was the anniversary of the Famicom or something, but they really probably just wanted to milk it.

ReiGun

I suck totally at FE, but hot damn do I love them so. Love these remakes for letting me play the originals (sorta).

Bebpo

Banned
FSLink said:
Whoo, Mystery of the Emblem remake.
Though I still think they should have just stuck FE1+3 on the same card like they did with the original SNES remake of FE1.
I heard they did that because it was the anniversary of the Famicom or something, but they really probably just wanted to milk it.

Quick, someone explain the timeline of FE games for non-FE people. Because this post does not make any sense to me :|

The last DS one was a remake of FE1, correct?
This is a remake of...?

Bebpo said:
Quick, someone explain the timeline of FE games for non-FE people. Because this post does not make any sense to me :|

This is a remake of...?
The original FE3 for the Super Famicon included a remake of FE1. Mystery of the Emblem is a direct sequel to Shadow Dragon.

Bebpo said:

This is a remake of...?

FE3

Big One

Banned
Oh god I expected this to be another one of those Famitsu fakes...good news, regardless. The game definitely needs a remake.

Edit: Wait, thought it was a remake of Gaiden. So...they're remaking a remake? Wtf.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, so then why are they skipping FE2? Was FE3 a direct sequel to FE1 while FE2 was something entirely different?

Cep

Banned
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8

ethelred

Bebpo said:

This is a remake of...?

Fire Emblem 3 was a remake of the original Fire Emblem with a second scenario added. Fire Emblem DS was a thoroughly mediocre second remake of the original Fire Emblem, only with the second scenario added in the first remake stripped away. Now they're remaking the remake.

Absolutely terrible. Intelligent Systems should be ashamed.

Bebpo said:
Ok, so then why are they skipping FE2? Was FE3 a direct sequel to FE1 while FE2 was something entirely different?

In a word: Yes.

Gaiden's a weird one that didn't exactly follow the formula that the original FE set.

Cep

Banned
ethelred said:
Fire Emblem 3 was a remake of the original Fire Emblem with a second scenario added. Fire Emblem DS was a thoroughly mediocre second remake of the original Fire Emblem, only with the second scenario added in the first remake stripped away. Now they're remaking the remake.

Shame is for decent folk.

I vote for a flogging.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:

Wait, so will this just be the 2nd scenario? Or will this be the last DS game + 2nd scenario? Because the latter would seem weird since FE DS was still pretty recent.

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
Wait, so will this just be the 2nd scenario? Or will this be the last DS game + 2nd scenario? Because the latter would seem weird since FE DS was still pretty recent.

Almost 100% guaranteed to be the sans remake, but with additional content.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
ethelred said:

Aw crap. Hype suddenly at zero. :(

I don't think Book 1 is going to be on this cart. It's most likely to an expanded book 2, so it's going to be brand new to the majority of people outside of Japan. (Maybe it will be Gaiden and book 2... >_>)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bebpo said:
FE2 is Fire Emblem Gaiden, there is no official numbering so fans have just give every entry a number. FE3 is a remake of the first game with a new scenario, Book 1 was the remake and Book 2 was the new scenario. This is probably just a remake of Book 2.

These DS games should make fans rethink their stance though, or at least I think so. I'm still waiting for FE11.

AniHawk

Awesome. I hope we get Genealogy of Holy War since it's still considered by some to be the best, and Thracia 776 since it's one of the hardest games ever made.

I think it should be mentioned that the Book 1 remake of the first game is actually shortened and has several characters cut out. The DS remake is more faithful to the actual first game, so it's not a remake of a remake at all.

I just beat the third game a few weeks ago, so I'm excited about this.

AniHawk said:
Awesome. I hope we get Genealogy of Holy War since it's still considered by some to be the best, and Thracia 776 since it's one of the hardest games ever made.

I wonder if FE4 could make it without censorship.
It was a hilarious moment when I paired up two lovers only to have a support conversation reveal that they are probably brother and sister.

VOOK said:
So hang on, what's this one called then?

Shin Monshou no Nazo - something (New Mystery of the Emblem).

FSLink

Banned
AniHawk said:
I kind of frown upon remakes, but on the other hand, we'd finally get US releases for FE4 and FE5, so bring on the milking. :D

Though hopefully for FE5 they include the original difficulty in there somewhere for a US release instead of toning it down considerably like they usually do. I'd like the option to choose between easy US modes and the original ball busting Japanese difficulties!

FSLink said:
I kind of frown upon remakes, but on the other hand, we'd finally get US releases for FE4 and FE5, so bring on the milking. :D

Though hopefully for FE5 they include the original difficulty in there somewhere for a US release instead of toning it down considerably like they usually do. I'd like the option to choose between easy US modes and the original ball busting Japanese difficulties!
In a crazy fantasy world, we'd unlock Thracia 776 as a reward for completing FE4DS on Hard mode.

Shadow Dragon's hardest modes are supposedly about as hard as Thracia, so they probably wouldn't remove that option now. I would hate to see Genealogy toned down any more, though.

FSLink

Banned
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Shadow Dragon's hardest modes are supposedly about as hard as Thracia, so they probably wouldn't remove that option now.
Speaking of which, what would be the next hardest games after those (I haven't played the GC or Wii ones)? Currently playing Swords of Seals Hard Mode and it's kicking my ass.

To what extent? The first DS remake already added something like that.

Not every Fire Emblem needs full-fledged support conversations, just like not every Fire Emblem needs love systems or capturing. Let that be one of the defining features of the GBA entries (although I wouldn't complain if it was in, it's just not that important).

FSLink said:
Speaking of which, what would be the next hardest games after those (I haven't played the GC or Wii ones)? Currently playing Swords of Seals Hard Mode and it's kicking my ass.

The hardest games in the series are FE5 (Thracia), maybe FE7 Hector Hard Mode, FE9 Maniac mode (Japan-only), and FEDS Hard 5 mode. FE5 is probably the hardest in terms of design, though.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:

Not every Fire Emblem needs full-fledged support conversations, just like not every Fire Emblem needs love systems or capturing. Let that be one of the defining features of the GBA entries (although I wouldn't complain if it was in, it's just not that important).

FE4's love system can't be replicated due to it's rather unique nature, but support and capturing I can see put into future games. I loved capturing, it brought about so many different tactical options.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I think it should be mentioned that the Book 1 remake of the first game is actually shortened and has several characters cut out. The DS remake is more faithful to the actual first game, so it's not a remake of a remake at all.

I just beat the third game a few weeks ago, so I'm excited about this.

That may be true, but still, separating them again is pretty inexcusable. Shadow Dragon should have included the whole game of FE3, not just the first half. Shadow Dragon is easily my least favorite FE game of the ones that have been released in the US, no question. It is cool that they left in all five or so difficulty levels though, finally a US FE game with no reduced difficulty, but still, the game has problems. The plot is simplistic compared to newer FE games and most of the character selection less interesting (so many generic guys...), it's missing gameplay features I'd expect like rescuing other characters or supports of some kind (though Radiant Dawn cutting back on them was too bad as well).

The poor CG-rendered art style doesn't exactly help either, of course. I've played 7 and 8 on the GBA so, so much, heck since getting a DS in 2007 I've probably played those two in it almost as much as most of my DS games all combined, and I'd gotten both of them several years earlier too. And the GC and Wii FE games do a fine job with both their 2d and 3d art. I don't know what happened with Shadow Dragon, but it is unfortunate.

Unfortunately, given series history, I'd expect this game to reuse SD's graphics engine. We'll see, hopefully the style will change, but I'm not really hopeful I think.

Anyway, as for this game, I also was hoping for a real new FE game, not another remake like the last one, particularly considering that that last one disappointed. Will this one be better? Hopefully, but still, I'd rather have seen something new I think, either for DS or Wii. Perhaps this will be great though, we'll see. And it will be nice to see an English official release of another classic FE game. :)

This will almost certainly be an expanded version of book 2. I'm betting that Nintendo want to remake all of FE1-6 and release them outside of Japan at some point.

Personally, I don't see why they just translate the original VC versions and sell them for a higher price than the typical 900 points price. Would be a lot easier than making the games from scratch.

Unfortunately, given series history, I'd expect this game to reuse SD's graphics engine. We'll see, hopefully the style will change, but I'm not really hopeful I think.

Re-using a graphics engine doesn't mean that they have to reuse sprites, but yeah I still wouldn't be surprised if they do.

vareon

Sir Ilpalazzo said:

I liked them. It's good know the characters better.

I'm hoping that they add back most of the book 1 characters dropped from the original book 2. It seems like if you were not a teen or a pretty girl then you were dropped in favor of more teenagers.

ShockingAlberto said:
Haha

I'm not saying they didn't change artstyles, but I would bet against it.
Well, the artwork in the teaser video is already a big improvement over the artwork from Shadow Dragon. I'd like to see the graphics will get an overhaul too, it was one of the most frequently discusses problems most had with the game.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
The hardest games in the series are FE5 (Thracia), maybe FE7 Hector Hard Mode, FE9 Maniac mode (Japan-only), and FEDS Hard 5 mode. FE5 is probably the hardest in terms of design, though.

The FE series is only difficult if you're playing for rank. Any unranked games are open to all manner of abuse which I'm sure you're aware. It's why FE9 and FE DS can't be considered legitimate challenges.

You're only partially right about your list. FE5 SSS rank and FE7 HHM S rank are the two most difficult FE challenges. FE9 mania mode and FE DS Hard level 5 are only difficult if you restrain yourself from abusing the system because you have infinite turns to clear the game.

Anyway unlike a lot of fanboys I have no opinion on artistic preferences or reverence for the originals. IS and Nintendo are one of the few quality developers out there who cater to players of most skill levels. See SMG2 for a recent example. FE Fanboys are pretty terrifying when they start pseudo-intellectual bickering though.

Top Bottom