• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

You've played it? When? Impressions now and all that!!!

It was mostly a 3D platformer with simple quests. System requirements were bigger than they should have been, and it did not work as pay to play game. It went F2P later, but it wasn't enough, and the game was closed.

I just hope its fun and the controls are good. During that E3 demo the controls looked really wonky. Beyond that I'm not expecting it to be a graphical showstopper or a big seller.

We don't know how much of that demo was still PS360-based and how much time they had to get as far as they did.

But did you saw the last devkit version am i correct?
Well it would be nice if you could give a bone or something...lol

Nah, I didnt see it. Just indications from places that hardware in the kits has changed or is about to change.

Personally I think we'll see Wii U released in major markets by September at the latest based on this info.

watershed

Banned
Looking at the killer freaks screenshots again I like that there seems to be some kind of point/scoring system. I remember thinking that Bulletstorm was going to take off because of its scoring system and how a new kind of competitive play would come out of that. Then the title crashed and burned. Hopefully Killer Freaks has something similar.

I wonder how the killer freaks game will look on the later devkits.

Worse, obviously. It's being ported from 360 and Wii U isn't as powerful.

We don't know how much of that demo was still PS360-based and how much time they had to get as far as they did.

Darksiders II team had 5 weeks with the kit before E3, Ubi probably had a little bit more, based on leaks.

Nah, I didnt see it. Just indications from places that hardware in the kits has changed or is about to change.

Personally I think we'll see Wii U released in major markets by September at the latest based on this info.

Is your 'info' based on what is a part of the hardware changes? For better or worse.

Parl

Even if it'll be 'ready' for September or earlier, I can easily see Nintendo pushing it back to October/November to bump up its opening lineup to help it against 3DSing.

cacildo

I think he meant implement a camera (instead sensor bar) for movement tracking, I don't believe it's possible though.

Yep. That´s what i meant. A new camera, replacing the sensor bar, for movement tracking using the same Wiimote + motion plus we already have, making the whole motion control thing, i dont know, better.

Is it possible?

royalan

Even if it'll be 'ready' for September or earlier, I can easily see Nintendo pushing it back to October/November to bump up its opening lineup to help it against 3DSing.

You know, there was a lot of "Nintendo is Doomed!" poo-pooing at the time, and the 3DS launch was bungled in some major ways (price being the main one). But, looking back, I think launching earlier was overall a pretty good strategy for Nintendo.

I'm no analyst, and titles like SM3DL and Mario Kart would have sold well regardless, but I don't think it's that outlandish to think that part of the reason those titles sold so explosively during the Holiday was because there were already a decent amount of 3DS' out there. Yeah - the hardware sales were nothing to write home about in the months leading up to November, but I'm sure it helped software move during the Holiday by establishing a user base of people hungry for some games.

I think there might be something to this idea of launching a console somewhat early, providing a handful of must-have titles, and slowly establishing a user base up to the holiday where you then blow the lid off with a ton of hot software. That way you already have a ton of people ready to snatch up tons of games, instead of just trying to sell a new console and software at the same time.

I know I'm more likely to buy more games when I already own the console. If I'm buying the console as well, I usually only have money to buy one or two games at first.

Maxrunner

Yep. That´s what i meant. A new camera, replacing the sensor bar, for movement tracking using the same Wiimote + motion plus we already have, making the whole motion control thing, i dont know, better.

Is it possible?

I may be wrong but i think the sensor bar is only used for pointing with tbe ir camera.

Is it possible?

Convenient timing, my friend.

Wii Motion perfect:

wiimote-wii-u.png

Designed to take a step away from the sideways control option by adding the 4 face buttons. It has one bumper and one trigger, and it is rechargeable. It can be used in conjunction to the new wireless Nunchuck with matching motion perfect accelerometers.

BELIEVE.

cacildo

Bu b but i have 4 wiimotes

There´s 100 fuckillion wiimotes sold around the world. I dont want think me or anybody else wants to buy a new one.

Anth0ny

Convenient timing, my friend.

Wii Motion perfect:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TheCongressman1/Art/wiimote-wii-u.png[/IM G]

Designed to take a step away from the sideways control option by adding the 4 face buttons. It has one bumper and one trigger, and [B]it is rechargeable[/B]. It can be used in conjunction to the new wireless Nunchuck with matching motion perfect accelerometers.

BELIEVE.[/QUOTE]

That is all I fucking as for.

The Wii Remote is perfect the way it is... except having to replace fucking AA batteries.

Nice mockup, but it loses the simple elegance of the original. Plus, the dpad being above the main action button was good when used as supplementary buttons. If anything, they should improve on the gyros in WiiMotion+. The whole design of the Wii Remote is centered around motion controls eliminating the need for traditional action buttons. Keep it as is and upgrade the motion controls when that becomes practical.

But if they released something BC with all games but rechargeable, and made the nunchuck wireless/with rumble/motion+, etc, I'd bite.

ewwwww

circle pad is the most useless shit ever. dpads are better for 2d games and analog sticks are better for 3d games.

I never choose to use d-pad anymore, even for 2D games. If I have the choice, I'll go analog.

The whole design of the Wii Remote is centered around motion controls eliminating the need for traditional action buttons.

I somewhat agree, but it shouldn't be hard to imagine more buttons working with the motion control could really improve gameplay. For example, I find it pretty awkward reaching down to the bottom of the controller every time you want to bring up a menu because there aren't enough buttons on top. Skyward Sword didn't have this problem very much, but that is because there were no camera controls/items hotkeys. With this design you could control the camera and use item keys with the menus being plus and minus. That pretty much eliminates the need to reach down for 1 or 2.

Postman

Banned
ewwwww

circle pad is the most useless shit ever. dpads are better for 2d games and analog sticks are better for 3d games.

I wonder if people who always say this ever played a 3ds? If i only played a psp a would agreed but the 3ds slide pad works just as well as any thumbstick for me.

The surface has a concave grip to place your thumb on, unless your finger's sweaty/greasy.
sorry but I've played numerous games (it's most evident playing zelda), your thumb starts slipping on it during longer gaming sessions with heavy slider use. The grip is basically non-existent. And no there is no grease and sweat here, it just has trouble holding it down. Even the slightest build up of moisture from general room humidity or whatever is enough to make it hard to hold upward on it.

1) slider pad can't click
That's one of the best things about it. Boy do I *hate* when I'm really into a game and I accidentally click the stupid joystick in and that causes an action I didn't intend, while at the same time making the controls not work well. And note, none of Nintendo's other analogue sticks can click, so that's not really anything against Nintendo going with CirclePads instead of analogue sticks.

That's one of the best things about it. Boy do I *hate* when I'm really into a game and I accidentally click the stupid joystick in and that causes an action I didn't intend, while at the same time making the controls not work well. And note, none of Nintendo's other analogue sticks can click, so that's not really anything against Nintendo going with CirclePads instead of analogue sticks.
yeah it's great until you realize that it's a needed functionality in shooters :|

And if Nintendo is seriously aiming for any semblance of a core market, that's your most important genre. It's the most natural/easy control set up for running in those games. Battlefield, call of duty, you name it. Honestly in all my years of gaming I've never clicked by accident causing an action I didn't want, since so few games use them. It just so happens that the biggest games in the gaming industry happen to use them, and use them well.

Darksiders II team had 5 weeks with the kit before E3, Ubi probably had a little bit more, based on leaks.

Most likely. Ubisoft probably only focused on getting the motion controlling down so it could be demoed at E3.

Is your 'info' based on what is a part of the hardware changes? For better or worse.

Not quite understanding, but if I do understand it then yes. My predicted release is a continuance of a hypothesis I made back in October.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32074149&postcount=9462

3DS had eight or nine months to wait for some heavy hitters to come out. Considering ports and length of development on newer titles, I think they could get away with a launch much sooner than November and at the same time have a smaller window between launch and holidays to deal with. I'm still going with July till I hear something solid enough to make me change my mind.

Maxrunner

yeah it's great until you realize that it's a needed functionality in shooters :|

And if Nintendo is seriously aiming for any semblance of a core market, that's your most important genre. It's the most natural/easy control set up for running in those games. Battlefield, call of duty, you name it. Honestly in all my years of gaming I've never clicked by accident causing an action I didn't want, since so few games use them. It just so happens that the biggest games in the gaming industry happen to use them, and use them well.

Dont worry theres always the wiimote and nunchuk superior in every way

TunaLover

Is it possible?
I don't think it's possible PS Move cam can see the ball from any angle, Wiimote form factor make the IR pointer not accesible to the cam when it's up, for example.

guek

Banned

It's reeeeeeallly easy to shuffle around some buttons. Not every actions is suitable for motion, but things like reload or grenade or melee are fine being handled with a quick flick of the upad. I'm 100% sure that you could devise a control method that doesn't require the click (which I hate too). It might be annoying for some to get used to something new, but I really doubt it'd be inferior in any way.

Caelus

sorry but I've played numerous games (it's most evident playing zelda), your thumb starts slipping on it during longer gaming sessions with heavy slider use. The grip is basically non-existent. And no there is no grease and sweat here, it just has trouble holding it down. Even the slightest build up of moisture from general room humidity or whatever is enough to make it hard to hold upward on it.

I'll take your word for it, longest I've played was a demo at Walmart for 20 mins.

It's reeeeeeallly easy to shuffle around some buttons. Not every actions is suitable for motion, but things like reload or grenade or melee are fine being handled with a quick flick of the upad. I'm 100% sure that you could devise a control method that doesn't require the click (which I hate too). It might be annoying for some to get used to something new, but I really doubt it'd be inferior in any way.
believe me, nobody is getting used to shit though. It's a standard in THE biggest games of all time. There is no better option. It's wholly natural. There is simply no more organic ways to run in those games. Name one better option.

The slider pad could click.

I am not sure would would be preventing it from doing so.

It just didn't at E3, which is not surprising, as no Nintendo analog stick does.

The slider pad could click.

I am not sure would would be preventing it from doing so.

It just didn't at E3, which is not surprising, as no Nintendo analog stick does.
just going off of latest info. I've backed off of pointing out how ridiculously stupid those "triggers" on the wii-u are because I think it was bgassassins who said there was rumours that they have updated those for later versions or something like that. Maybe it was someone else.

But based off the latest info, they don't. Also this is Nintendo we're talking about. If anyone will have a random weird omission it will be them.

bullshit.
still waiting for you to name one better option

ugoo18

just going off of latest info. I've backed off of pointing out how ridiculously stupid those "triggers" on the wii-u are because I think it was bgassassins who said there was rumours that they have updated those for later versions or something like that. Maybe it was someone else.

But based off the latest info, they don't. Also this is Nintendo we're talking about. If anyone will have a random weird omission it will be them.

still waiting for you to name one better option

Personally prefer shoulder buttons for running in a shooter. I hate having to click the stick to run.

Personally prefer shoulder buttons for running in a shooter. I hate having to click the stick to run.
that's more complicated though because you'd have to take your finger off the trigger just to run, whereas with the analog for running you can keep your trigger finger ready, and if you keep both fingers on shoulder buttons, then it is even more complicated. I could see that being AN option, but not a better one.

Anth0ny

believe me, nobody is getting used to shit though. It's a standard in THE biggest games of all time. There is no better option. It's wholly natural. There is simply no more organic ways to run in those games. Name one better option.

I'd waaaaaaaaaaaaay rather map running to a button.

Considering, you know, it's been that way since Super Mario Bros.

I'm fine with click for other functions. But not running/aiming.

guek

Banned
lol alright now we're getting nuts

See, this is the shit i'm talking about. Stop acting like this isn't a subjective issue. You have your preference, other people have theirs. Ultimately though, there are other possible options that, in the long run, would be just as functional, even if it's not your preferred control scheme.

that's more complicated though because you'd have to take your finger off the trigger just to run, whereas with the analog for running you can keep your trigger finger ready, and if you keep both fingers on shoulder buttons, then it is even more complicated. I could see that being AN option, but not a better one.

Do you know why there are options? Because people prefer lots of different styles. In other words, your favorite configuration is only an opinion. If not, most likely the developers would feel it should be the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom