• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Rat Salad said:
When I was playing with the idea of buying a used 360 from GameStop last year I asked the same question to a store manager. I didn't want to possibly receive a banned console and she was pretty upfront and firm saying - they check to see if 360's are indeed banned or not.

She was just lieing to you, Ive been in gamestops multiple times when someone was selling a 360. All they do is hook it up to there little TV unit to see if it boots up. They dont check online connections.

Im sure a gamestop employee could confirm if they have a ethernet hook up station or not. Im pretty sure they dont :)

C4Lukins

duk said:
gonna be a nice bump in sales for the 360 but how many are double dippers

Probably quite a few, but there will also be a lot of used 360's that new buyers may pick up at Gamestop, but those sort of buyers may not be the type to buy new games. Really impossible to tell.

Rat Salad said:
Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately all other stores in my backwoods town sold out of the arcades.
Its not a big deal really,I'm happy I have a new 360(even if its the old models) my 4 year old one died last week.

I'll hit GameStop up tomorrow and see if they price match,can't hurt to ask.

Sure wouldn't. Good luck!

Metalic Sand said:
She was just lieing to you, Ive been in gamestops multiple times when someone was selling a 360. All they do is hook it up to there little TV unit to see if it boots up. They dont check online connections.

Im sure a gamestop employee could confirm if they have a ethernet hook up station or not. Im pretty sure they dont :)

She wasn't necessarily lying. They don't check when buying, but they could check before selling. Do they? Beats me.

Rat Salad

Banned
Metalic Sand said:

Well I did think it was sorta fishy how they could just check so fast as I've seen them take 360's to a back room for a test then return in no time. She's abit of a confrontational person though,tends to hint that everyone is a fucking pirate when you ask what's the length of their warranty on a used 360. "If its been ripped open and modded we don't cover anything."
:lol

ReconYoda said:
my girlfriend has a banned console, does gamestop check to see if its banned before buying it?

When I traded my console in yesterday morning, the GameStop in Detroit hooked it up to a TV and then tried to test a game. Mine was working just fine so the process went real smooth.

However, there were few members here whose 360's were not tested when they traded them in the last couple of days. YMMV I guess.

XP-Enigma

OldJadedGamer said:
Maybe it's just me but it seems like the games are installing way faster.

I am having the same experience. Also, when I did my data transfer to the old 250gig drive it took about 7 hours. From that drive to this system was about 2 hours.

firehawk12 said:
LTTP (WTFBBQ), but it's confirmed that the old transfer cables work? Anyone here try it?

I used the old transfer cable I got in my 120gig HDD a while back with the new S unit and it worked fine. Even used the disc that came with it (even though you don't have to)

XP-Enigma said:
I am having the same experience. Also, when I did my data transfer to the old 250gig drive it took about 7 hours. From that drive to this system was about 2 hours.

I still have my 120gig Jasper unit so I'm going to time it tomorrow with a game and see just how much faster it is if any.

just got my Xbox Slim in from a Jasper trade in to Gamestop. This is my 5th Xbox since launch, the Xbox Slim and Jasper being "working" models so far. Wasn't too bad of a deal since i had the network adapter, was down to less than 100mb on the hdd, and a ton of extra controllers from past dead Xbox's. Ended up paying less than $70 or so.

did the data transfer at the store and took about 5 minutes to do 13GB of transfer. I double checked on the new hdd of the Xbox Slim and everything seemed to be there. But I forgot to check the on board memory space on the Jasper unit i traded in. Anything I should go back and retrieve from Gamestop about at this point?

So far the Xbox Slim is pretty fucking quiet, but it does get damn hot from top. The power cord connection on the back of the unit feels a lot firmer from the older ones. I was having problems connecting to my wireless router earlier. Since i have a Mac filter, i entered the Xbox "wireless" Mac address, but could not get one. That is, until I entered in the Xbox "WIRED" Mac Address and finally connected to Xbox Live....strange.

Rat Salad said:
When I was playing with the idea of buying a used 360 from GameStop last year I asked the same question to a store manager. I didn't want to possibly receive a banned console and she was pretty upfront and firm saying - they check to see if 360's are indeed banned or not.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

what did you think she was going to say.... oh no, bring it in?

RPS37

Got mine tonight after work at the local Best Buy.
It's reeeeeeally quiet. Transferring files is taking quite a while.

ok, i have to say... when i first saw the leaked banner i was like wtf.... as in seriously WTF.

but having seen the IRL shots of this bad boy i'm actually gutted i'm going to be in new york when it launches on july the 16th.

hoping to pick one up on my way home... fingers crossed.

the chrome trim is pure sex.

microsoft's pres shots of this don;t do it any justice at all - epic fail.

RPS37

So it seems like with a game and the disc spinning, it's still a little louder than my ps3 with a game in, but it's really quiet. With games installed, you might not realize it's on.

asdad123

So I got one. Traded in my old 360.

Love it, apart from one thing. Mine makes a noise when I first turn it on. Sounds like the laser of the drive is moving or something. Does anyone else's do this or is something wrong with mine?

Also, mine is pretty noise actually. When the game is played off the drive, its only a little less noisy than my 2007 Elite. With the games installed, its pretty quiet though

asdad123 said:
So I got one. Traded in my old 360.

Love it, apart from one thing. Mine makes a noise when I first turn it on. Sounds like the laser of the drive is moving or something. Does anyone else's do this or is something wrong with mine?

Also, mine is pretty noise actually. When the game is played off the drive, its only a little less noisy than my 2007 Elite. With the games installed, its pretty quiet though

Does the noise come off as a constant "humming" sound? Because that's what engadget was sort of saying after testing one of their slims.

Okay, so we're just going to put this out there: at least one of our new Xbox 360s is anything but "whisper quiet" when it's playing a game. It's almost totally silent when it's doing something that doesn't require spinning a disc, but as soon as that happens, there's a loud hum -- we measured it at 60db, or about the same as our older 360. The sound itself is way different -- a steady low hum instead of the old whine and clunking sounds -- but it's definitely there, no matter where we move the console or how we position it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/18/new-xbox-360-head-to-head-with-the-360-original-ps3-slim-and/

Some dvds end up unbalanced for some reason, and its exacerbated by certain dvd drives. I can't leave my copy of Forza 3 in my drive when I'm not playing it as it just sits there vibrating, really annoying.

As for the noise when you turn it on asdad123. It's just the drive setting itself up, my elite does the same (my arcade doesn't).

Cheech

OldJadedGamer said:
I used the old transfer cable I got in my 120gig HDD a while back with the new S unit and it worked fine. Even used the disc that came with it (even though you don't have to)

Yeah, I was amazed. I plugged the old 120 gig drive in using the original, 3 year old transfer cable, booted up the new Xbox, and it immediately said, "hey man, old HDD detected, do you want to transfer to or from?". No DVD required. Super easy.

one weird thing is when i put in the bonus disc for mass effect 1 (the greatest hits one) to install the dlc thats on there, it makes the most loudest noise possible. though everything else is normal

For people saying the installs are faster do you think it's because the HDD is just overall better quality? back when installs were new to the 360 there were reports that the default launch 20gb drives did not help as much with loading as the newer 60gig and 120gig drives, and it's kind of true my launch hdd is just shitty.

I would think that today's included hdd's are better quality.

FrankT

Diablohead said:
For people saying the installs are faster do you think it's because the HDD is just overall better quality? back when installs were new to the 360 there were reports that the default launch 20gb drives did not help as much with loading as the newer 60gig and 120gig drives, and it's kind of true my launch hdd is just shitty.

This what we know of them per Anandtech;

The new hard drive is a Hitachi HTS545025B9SA00 1.5Gbps SATA hard drive. It spins at 5400RPM and has an 8MB buffer. If you were hoping for a 7200 RPM drive, you’re out of luck.

kaskade

I used a disc in my console for the first time(split/second). There was definitely noise. It's much different from the original 360 though. It's more of a hum than the other which sounded crazy. With 250gb I'm just going to install everything anyway.

Diablohead said:

Maybe it's the DVD drive that is of better quality?

Why would anyone hope for a 7200RPM HDD? That would just increase the heat, and it probably wouldn't have made a noticeable difference in loading times.

Shamrock

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

DVDtop.jpg

gettingwarmer.jpg

heatsink.jpg

fpPCB.jpg

-PXG-

I hate it when the OP disappears and doesn't bother updating their post. People are asking the same questions over and over and over again.

linkboy

I'm definitely going to pick this up, but it probably won't be until next year (baby on the way). Kid takes priority.

The system looks great.

surly

Banned
I got my pre-order in for the UK release. £184.85 ($274) including shipping and guaranteed delivery on release day. Just need to offload my Super Elite now to recoup some of the cash. :)

surly

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
@ surly

GAME will give you £100 for the Elite, and £20 for a wireless adaptor.
Thanks mate. Is that just trade in credit, or cash?

There's a guy on eBay selling brand new "Super Elites" but without the hard drives and he's getting around £100 each for them, sometimes as low as £90, but sometimes as high as £120. His listings make it clear that there's no hard drive included, so he's not duping people. I guess some people assume that the Super Elite is better in some way, even though when the hard drive is removed it's actually worse than an Arcade as there's no built in flash memory. I think I might sell the console and hard drive separately and that should bring in more than £100 after fees.

Godslay

Banned
I have two old 360's, will I be able to trade both of these in and "stack" the trade value? Additionally, will they let me open the box and trade the composite back for my vga cable? Assuming that the cable port hasn't been changed.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
asdad123 said:
Yeah its a constant humming. Im guessing its normal?

How about the little grinding noise the drive makes when the console is first turned on?

Sounds like MS has the same "quiet" Slims as Sony does. My PS3 Slim also has an annoying "whirrrrr/hummmm" noise when its running, as do alot of other people from what ive read on here and other sites.

Ive been on the 360 fence for a long time and was hoping that these new slims would push me over. These reports of irritating noises is disappointing. Gonna wait and see how this plays out.

kaskade

I still kind of wish MS used a slot loading tray though. Imagine it with almost the Wii's blue ring, except green. I think that could've been sexay.

Snowballo

X360 Slim owners:

Could you tell me if there is a big difference comparing the noise of a X360 Fat with a installed game runnnig and the same on X360 Slim?

I don't care about the disc spinning. I'm not going to play a single game in my life without installing it.

Thanks.

Godslay said:
I have two old 360's, will I be able to trade both of these in and "stack" the trade value? Additionally, will they let me open the box and trade the composite back for my vga cable? Assuming that the cable port hasn't been changed.
I'm 99% sure that you can't stack two 360s for one slim (the second one will be 60 dollars, not 100). As for that other question, who knows, but I doubt it, can you not locate your original cables?

GitarooMan said:
I'm 99% sure that you can't stack two 360s for one slim (the second one will be 60 dollars, not 100). As for that other question, who knows, but I doubt it, can you not locate your original cables?

You can stack multiple 360's...people need to check around before posting info. Anyways it's a managers decision so call the gamestop first and check with them. People on other fourms have been able to trade in multiple 360's for the extra credit so.

skyfinch

I still have a launch Premium Xbox, only problem is doesn't read any discs (games or movies). I can still play games I DL over XBL, though. I wanted to trade this in but was afraid they'd test it out then call the cops.

Is this pretty much worthless now? Is there anyway I can fix the dvd drive myself?

Annihilator said:
You can stack multiple 360's...people need to check around before posting info. Anyways it's a managers decision so call the gamestop first and check with them.
I have checked around and everyone I've seen has said you can't (i.e., you can't get 100 for each towards one new slim).

skyfinch said:
I still have a launch Premium Xbox, only problem is doesn't read any discs (games or movies). I can still play games I DL over XBL, though. I wanted to trade this in but was afraid they'd test it out then call the cops.

Is this pretty much worthless now? Is there anyway I can fix the dvd drive myself?

If it can't read games they will charge a refurb fee and will still most likely take it. The fee is like $40 or something so once again call the local gamestop and ask to make sure before driving there and finding out.

GitarooMan said:
I have checked around and everyone I've seen has said you can't (i.e., you can't get 100 for each towards one new slim).

Then you aren't checking the right forums. CAG forums is where I got the info.

Top Bottom