• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

Those things never seemed as it should in Wii Sports.

To really attack the ball you had to just shake it quick to make the guy spaz and the ball would rocket off the racket but you would hit it into the net often.

Mrbob

I don't want to be THAT GUY, but I still haven't played a career mode in a tennis game as good as Super Tennis on the SNES.

If Grand Slam can be that good, I will buy a Wii for this game. I'm always jonesing for a quality tennis title.

Plus the motion plus stuff sounds cool. If I can actually create the shot I want myself that is awesome.

I wonder if motion plus will be bundled with the system this year.

I really like the stackable abilities thing. It gives you a little more to think about as far as deciding which 3 abilities you want to take with you into a match.

Model 500

ViperVisor said:

True...but:

To really attack the ball you had to just shake it quick to make the guy spaz and the ball would rocket off the racket but you would hit it into the net often.

It seems to me that you didn't play that much Wii Sports Tennis.

It seems EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis will see a delay in europe. The new release is now 2. July 2009 (previously 18. June), and perhaps a bundle comes:

EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis + Wii Motion Plus - 2. July 2009

So Wii Sports Resort comes then 3. July 2009? Or earlier/later?

goompapa

CubeRevolution said:
It seems EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis will see a delay in europe. The new release is now 2. July 2009 (previously 18. June), and perhaps a bundle comes:

Wimbledon starts 22.June. Not good for EA.

GrayFoxPL

Holy shit at gfx of PS3 version!

333emqh.gif

15 - Love indeed!

goompapa said:
Wimbledon starts 22.June. Not good for EA.

Why? The release of Grand Slam will now follow hot on the heels of the tournament, and it will (apparently) be bundled with Motion Plus - something I suspect will be a big selling point.

ViperVisor said:

What? Did you even play Wii Tennis at all? What do you think the target practices are for? You can precisely aim in Wii Tennis depending on your timing and your motion when hitting the ball.

farnham

Banned
CubeRevolution said:

nice a bundle

then its wii sports resort and Ea sports grand slam tennis for me.. :D :D

Batongen

Banned
Mrbob said:
I don't want to be THAT GUY, but I still haven't played a career mode in a tennis game as good as Super Tennis on the SNES.

I would like to argue that top ranking tennis for the good old GB had an awesome career mode. God, I played that game to death. Hopefully this game can have at least as good career mode as that game :) .

goompapa

Cosmonaut X said:
Why? The release of Grand Slam will now follow hot on the heels of the tournament, and it will (apparently) be bundled with Motion Plus - something I suspect will be a big selling point.

Basic business practices. Everybody release their game before a tournament starts. Look at the olympic/worldcup games. Nobody release them during the tournaments.
Make sense to me. Game would have been available right from the start. Also, potential buyers who are fans of certain players/teams might not want to experience it anymore after their faves have been eliminated.

Just received the confirmation:

Grand Slam Tennis - 2.07.2009 - 49,99 Euro

Grand Slam Tennis Bundle with Wii Motion Plus - 2.07.2009 - 59,99 Euro

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CubeRevolution said:
Grand Slam Tennis Bundle with Wii Motion Plus - 2.07.2009 - 59,99 Euro[/B]

This would sell huge.

Vinci

Danish
I'm hoping - nay, praying - that Wii Speak is supported in the online mode. It would be great to be able to play someone in an online match and talk with them the whole time. I'm doubting it, but if it's not in this version it should be in the next.

Also - bundling this with M+ would be an insanely smart move.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Scrubking said:
I wonder too because EA hasn't exactly been giving the Wii great support.

Could be a plan to get as many M+ units out into as many homes as possible in the shortest amount of time. Perhaps this and Wii Sports Resort wont be the only bundled packs.

Vinci

Danish
EatChildren said:
Could be a plan to get as many M+ units out into as many homes as possible in the shortest amount of time. Perhaps this and Wii Sports Resort wont be the only bundled packs.

And they really shouldn't be. Nintendo should be bundling a M+ attachment in with any high-profile game that utilizes it. Hell, low-profile ones too - if it's a game in an underserved genre on the system especially.

EatChildren

Vinci said:
And they really shouldn't be. Nintendo should be bundling a M+ attachment in with any high-profile game that utilizes it. Hell, low-profile ones too - if it's a game in an underserved genre on the system especially.

Well yeah. Throw in a couple of other genres (shooter / action, and adventure) all around the launch period and you've got a pretty damn wide potential audiance for getting the peripheral out.

Red Steel 2 is getting a reveal on the 25th of this month, and is confirmed to use M+. I wonder how this will tie in.

Dave Long

Banned
The other thing about bundling some M+ everywhere is people will want to have more than one of them for multiplayer. Now if you buy this game and Wii Sports Resort, you've got two of them for competitive play.

GDGF

Soothsayer
turk128 said:
Shit just got real.

I wonder what deal EA did with Nintendo to get that... or was it a reward?

Nintendo and EA have been doing sweetheart deals for generations. This one does seem to have a bit more impact though, doesn't it?

CaVaYeRo

GDGF said:
Nintendo and EA have been doing sweetheart deals for generations. This one does seem to have a bit more impact though, doesn't it?

of course it does. I wonder if Resort is getting released any sooner or at the same time. Also, I think 10€ is an awesome "price". 20 for the WM+ alone?

also, she has a bit more impact in me:

25s0t5e.jpg

I guess her name is not 25s0t5e... any clue, ViperVisor? :D

bdouble

EatChildren said:
Well yeah. Throw in a couple of other genres (shooter / action, and adventure) all around the launch period and you've got a pretty damn wide potential audiance for getting the peripheral out.

Red Steel 2 is getting a reveal on the 25th of this month, and is confirmed to use M+. I wonder how this will tie in.

Then shortly after start just putting it in the wiimote. Then you have a very large base for Wiimotion+

Sadist

CubeRevolution said:
Just received the confirmation:

Grand Slam Tennis - 2.07.2009 - 49,99 Euro

Grand Slam Tennis Bundle with Wii Motion Plus - 2.07.2009 - 59,99 Euro
So € 10 for a Motion Plus? That's good to be honest.

swerve

Smart move if true.

Tiger, Grand Slam, Resort... all the 'launch window' games should have the hardware bundle optional (or forced, in the case of Resort).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
anandxxx said:
wall of text appreciated.

judging by the fact you gave wii sports' tennis a fair opinion, i am taking your grand slam review at its face value, which is: GST has everything a proper tennis game needs to have - controls of at least wii sports tennis caliber (and then some), online, good presentation. consider me hyped (and i'm not even a real-life tennis player).

unomas

Banned
This will probably be the game to make me get and keep a Wii. I'm a sucker for tennis games, and this potentially has the makings of an amazing game. EA snagged the heavy hitters just in terms of the players they got so that makes it even better. A Wii for me in June or July I think, the online play sealed it.

Dave Long

Banned
Nintendo has said the Wii Motion + add-ons are cheap to produce. If they had been more than 10 Euros (or $10 here in the States is my guess...) then it wouldn't have been all that viable IMO.

Dave Long said:
Nintendo has said the Wii Motion + add-ons are cheap to produce. If they had been more than 10 Euros (or $10 here in the States is my guess...) then it wouldn't have been all that viable IMO.
well at least they aint gonne be like $30 like some were speculating

sounds like they could be like the expansion pack in a way, where they come packaged with multiple games just to try and quell any kind of market split in anyway. People will probably have Motion Plus' lying around like spare change :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
frankie_baby said:
well at least they aint gonne be like $30 like some were speculating

30 would be crazy

wiimite+m+ and one nunchuck would make 90 bucks for one set xd

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah... that's true. You kind of have to think of what the full price will be with one of these included. $70 sounds about right.

I really like the idea of this being bundled with the M+. Very smart move by EA. Personally I'm more interested in this than Tiger10 but if EA bundles that with the M+ as well....holy God will that sell a shit ton. This is the Tiger that everyone has wanted since day one.

Top Bottom