• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Ben Kuchera impressions:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/zombiu-is-resident-evil-mixed-with-dark-souls...-for-better-or-worse

ZombiU is going to be a polarizing game. It feels like the original Resident Evil played in the first person, mixed with a good amount of Dark Souls.

ZombiU succeeds in pulling off the neat trick of making you feel more vulnerable as you become more powerful. Once you start gaining weapons proficiencies, get a collection of items, and really make a dent into your current mission you’ll begin to realize that you have something to lose. The more you have in your pack, the more tense combat becomes.

This isn’t for everyone, and I can see why people may be turned off by the unforgiving nature of the game.

The rush comes in keeping a character alive for hours, and then realizing how much you have to lose by their death.

I like how you literally have to plan out what you're going to do if a horde randomly comes along. You have to decide which room is best to run to if it happens, all possible angles from where zombies can come from, choke points, etc. The game is full of awesome survival strategy. This game in my opinion, has been a survival horror masterpiece that will be remembered for a long time.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Its that tension. suddenly see you are getting surrounded and the shit hits the fan trying to survive

Seriously, you freak out and make stupid decisions. Btw, second survivor:

9 minutes and 47 seconds. Bit my cricket weilding ass lol.

From the sounds of the impressions, the main thing I'm conspcerned about is screaming out loud in the middle of the night. This kind of game won't be something my wife wants to see so its a late night game. Considering zombies in minecraft can make me jump, this could actually kill me.

I have yelled obscenities and screamed like a little girl a lot so far.

So yes. If you are the type to scream like I am...uh, yeah. You'll be screaming. lol

CrisKre

Having played it for over 3 hours I will tell you, this game is brilliant- It is NOT a shooter, its a survival horror, management heavy title. But to insinuate its badly executed is just objectively WRONG (4.5 lol). Its EXTREMELY well executed. Its great to read impressions of people who are actually, you know, PLAYING the title and enjoying it. A lot of love has been put into this game. Its intense.

Having played it for over 3 hours I will tell you, this game is brilliant- It is NOT a shooter, its a survival horror, management heavy title. But to insinuate its badly executed is just objectively WRONG (4.5 lol). Its EXTREMELY well executed. Its great to read impressions of people who are actually, you know, PLAYING the title and enjoying it. A lot of love has been put into this game. Its intense.

Yeah, as I explore the environments and appreciate how detailed and atmospheric they are, it leaves me scratching my head wondering why Gamespot said the environments weren't well done. Didn't they also say the game wasn't scary? They were dead wrong, or they're robots who can feel no emotion.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yeah, as I explore the environments and appreciate how detailed and atmospheric they are, it leaves me scratching my head wondering why Gamespot said the environments weren't well done. Didn't they also say the game wasn't scary? They were dead wrong, or they're robots who can feel no emotion.
It's not "they". It's one guy. Out of billions.

90% of people who talked about the game after Paris Game Week loved what they played. This thread offers the same positive feedback.
Few things can achieve a perfect consensus in this world.

Well I liken it to giving someone who loves playing Skyrim, a copy of Dark Souls and just saying..."Yeah it's fantasy and you fight dragons, and shit" They would probably fucking hate it. ZombiU is not for the masses sadly. It's too difficult and takes thought instead of BANG BANG BANG! I DID IT! mentality.

CrisKre

Also, to anyone wondering, this is NOT RED STEEL PART DEUX. If you got a Wii U and like survival horror get this game. Seriously.

It's not "they". It's one guy. Out of billions.

90% of people who talked about the game after Paris Game Week loved what they played. This thread offers the same positive feedback.
Few things can achieve a perfect consensus in this world.

I meant "they" in the individual sense of the word.

GlassBox

Banned
Yeah, I'm not getting the review scores. But for me, anything under 5 on a 10 point scale would indicate a game that was not only flawed in foundational game design, but technically flawed as well, bad game breaking bugs, very poor graphics and animations, sub 15fps framerate and so on (basically, a game near unplayable). Nothing I've read so far has indicated anything of the sort, most people are saying the game is pretty well polished, especially for a launch title.

I played about 2 hours last night. I enjoyed it but didn't go crazy for it. Now I'm at work and all I can think about is going home and playing this game.

The combat really isn't bad. Honestly, I think it's just a matter of "committing". When you decide to attack, you really have to mean it. A missed swing or misjudged distance could literally screw you over, so attention must be paid to when and how you attack. It's not absolutely perfect by any means, but is it bad or cumbersome? No, it really isn't. Keep your bearings about you, and remember to prep before you swing.

I am wondering if I am the only one that this is happening to. I have played all games inverted since forever. Anytime there are two sticks I play inverted. All of a sudden I started the game, put it to invert and I was looking in the wrong directions. I made sure i put inverted on, that is when I realized it was on, I was just not naturally using the sticks in the inverted way. I had to turn invert off and now I was moving more naturally. but i still have moments where I still revert to an invert mentality so controlling this game is a mess for me right now.

The placement of the right stick has completely short circuited my brain. I have been gaming for 28 years now and never have I had any issues controlling a game but right now I am constantly messed up with the right stick.

I am wondering if I am the only one that this is happening to. I have played all games inverted since forever. Anytime there are two sticks I play inverted. All of a sudden I started the game, put it to invert and I was looking in the wrong directions. I made sure i put inverted on, that is when I realized it was on, I was just not naturally using the sticks in the inverted way. I had to turn invert off and now I was moving more naturally. but i still have moments where I still revert to an invert mentality so controlling this game is a mess for me right now.

The placement of the right stick has completely short circuited my brain. I have been gaming for 28 years now and never have I had any issues controlling a game but right now I am constantly messed up with the right stick.

I was thinking of asking somewhere about the layout of the controller, and whether people have any issues with it. I remember when it was first shown, a lot of people said it would be uncomfortable due to the buttons and right stick being switched.

Seriously, you freak out and make stupid decisions. Btw, second survivor:

9 minutes and 47 seconds. Bit my cricket weilding ass lol.
Now that's more like it.

Talking about environments, how is the physical interaction? I see lots of objects but are they glued to the ground or do they actually move about?

Cowie

Has anyone had any issues with the audio? I feel like a lot of times I'm missing sound effects. I've been playing with sound through my TV in addition to sound on the WiiU Game Pad. At first, I couldn't hear voice at all, and it was only showing up as subtitles. Later, when I got a hold of the radio thing, the voice was coming out of the Game Pad -- which is a really awesome effect, but how was I supposed to be hearing this before?
With that solved, I just end up with some weird behavior. There might not actually be anything wrong with my setup, but a lot of times it feels like there isn't a sound effect when there should be (swinging the cricket bat, for example). Is the sound generally like that in this game, or is there some weird deal with how I have the sound set up?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Talking about environments, how is the physical interaction? I see lots of objects but are they glued to the ground or do they actually move about?

Not very much interaction from my short play time. You can scuff the wall by hitting it with your bat, you can kick some things around, but a lot of it is just there (ie; you can't start bashing monitors, cars, or knock stuff off tables).

For instance, I wanted to attract a couple of zombies not too far from me, so that I could run back for cover and pick them off one by one. There was a grocery cart near me, so I wailed on it with my bat, but it didn't budge, or make any realistic sound. They didn't even notice me.

It's not really destroying my fun playing it, but a bit more interaction with the world would have made the immersion better.

Chindogg

For you guys that have a UPlay account, you can unlock extra stuff on the UPlay website for completing certain achievements. I forgot I had an old account so I went to The UPlay Website and unlocked the 80s logo and some cricket bat customization.

BD1

Banned
The paranoia this game creates is crazy. It's got some quirks; and I can definitely see some upset gamers who bought it expecting an action heavy CoD-style shooter. As launch titles go, I think it's great.

Plus the Mii's shitting on all the review sites in WaraWara Plaza is hilarious.

Arde5643

Not very much interaction from my short play time. You can scuff the wall by hitting it with your bat, you can kick some things around, but a lot of it is just there (ie; you can't start bashing monitors, cars, or knock stuff off tables).

For instance, I wanted to attract a couple of zombies not too far from me, so that I could run back for cover and pick them off one by one. There was a grocery cart near me, so I wailed on it with my bat, but it didn't budge, or make any realistic sound. They didn't even notice me.

It's not really destroying my fun playing it, but a bit more interaction with the world would have made the immersion better.

That and more online features (online for the multiplayer and mayhaps some co-op locations) would be great for the sequel.

nickcv

The paranoia this game creates is crazy. It's got some quirks; and I can definitely see some upset gamers who bought it expecting an action heavy CoD-style shooter. As launch titles go, I think it's great.

Plus the Mii's shitting on all the review sites in WaraWara Plaza is hilarious.

i demand screenshots!

Has anyone had any issues with the audio? I feel like a lot of times I'm missing sound effects. I've been playing with sound through my TV in addition to sound on the WiiU Game Pad. At first, I couldn't hear voice at all, and it was only showing up as subtitles. Later, when I got a hold of the radio thing, the voice was coming out of the Game Pad -- which is a really awesome effect, but how was I supposed to be hearing this before?
With that solved, I just end up with some weird behavior. There might not actually be anything wrong with my setup, but a lot of times it feels like there isn't a sound effect when there should be (swinging the cricket bat, for example). Is the sound generally like that in this game, or is there some weird deal with how I have the sound set up?

Set your sound to Stereo in the WiiU menu, my friend had this problem, he was going from a hdmi > TV > 5.1 via optical. For whatever reason, it doesn't work, and we were getting missing sound until we changed the settings in the WiiU menu. The game itself also has a sound menu to check.

For you guys that have a UPlay account, you can unlock extra stuff on the UPlay website for completing certain achievements. I forgot I had an old account so I went to The UPlay Website and unlocked the 80s logo and some cricket bat customization.

Do you have to link your Uplay account to your Nintendo ID or something? I've gotten prompts saying I've unlocked Uplay actions but they don't show up on the web Uplay.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Damn this game, I just lost everything!!!!

It's so good, though... I've got to keep surviving!

Cowie

Set your sound to Stereo in the WiiU menu, my friend had this problem, he was going from a hdmi > TV > 5.1 via optical. For whatever reason, it doesn't work, and we were getting missing sound until we changed the settings in the WiiU menu. The game itself also has a sound menu to check.

Thanks! That's exactly my setup, so I suspect this'll do the trick. Funnily enough, I exited to the WiiU menu and changed the sound to Stereo to see if that would help, but never started the game back up.

Chindogg

Do you have to link your Uplay account to your Nintendo ID or something? I've gotten prompts saying I've unlocked Uplay actions but they don't show up on the web Uplay.

I just logged into the game and started playing. Got my achievements. Then went to the website and logged in. Saw the achievements were there then bought the extras on the site. Back to the game, logged back into UPlay, the game saved the extras, then I could select the stuff in the options menu.

Thanks! That's exactly my setup, so I suspect this'll do the trick. Funnily enough, I exited to the WiiU menu and changed the sound to Stereo to see if that would help, but never started the game back up.

No prob! It kind of sucks, but the game still has incredible audio even in stereo.

Malvingt2

643995_10151540854673957_1143101966_n.jpg

Alex

I feel like this probably would have been better received, critically, on the PC, where it's more open minded. Rogue-likes of any form seem to completely get torn a new asshole from reviews on any dedicated platform. What you need is one to go popular and widespread, so then the gaming press magically decides it's suddenly a good thing, instead of using it's own sub-genre tropes to insult it.

Monster Hunter was always one of my favorites, from that example, you know, back when it first became a thing and it kept getting called a broken PSO ripoff, until it sold a lot and got popular among users then all of the sudden reviews shot up 3-4 points on a dime.

FLEABttn

Banned
I may be going out on a limb that nobody else wants to follow me on, but I think this is the best launch home console game since Halo 1.

I was thinking of asking somewhere about the layout of the controller, and whether people have any issues with it. I remember when it was first shown, a lot of people said it would be uncomfortable due to the buttons and right stick being switched.

It took me awhile to get use to it, and I had to kick the sensitivity all the way up to 90% until I felt it was responding in a way I was comfortable with( I usually never adjust sensitivity ). As somone who thinks the Xbox 360 pad is the most ergonomic pad ever created the placement of the right stick is a little strange, but given the size of the pad you would have a hard time using the right triggers if they had the stick in the lower right corner.

Does anyone know how to turn on Miiverse features in the game? Or are they on automatically?. I think I got a prompt to activate Miiverse but pressed no by accident since I was already using the touchscreen and can't see a option to turn it on.. Maybe it was for something else though, but still haven't run across any messages or any way to post my own graffiti. (Tho I guess that its because its a item you get later in the game?)

anywayz: Only played a couple hours and really enjoying it. I am glad its not super hard like Demon's Souls, since I could never get past 1-1 in that, but really hard yet in a managable way. Don't usually like hard games but really liking this so far. Just got to the
Turrent section outside the Palace and got swarmed. Whats the point of putting a bed right outside to save if you don't start from there after you die?

Like Demon's Souls, I don't like how you can't get your gear from mutible lost survivors, only the very last one you can loot. Pretty useless if I keep dying before I can get to the survivor. My longest survivor as 45 minutes for a first one. Then that all went downhill lol.

Glad I bought it. Very intense and very fun. Glad its not really scary (by that I mean I know what to expect - Zombies - and not something unexpected like in other horror games.) and glad it isn't as hard as I believed it would be.

Top Bottom