• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Penguin

After a few months, I am now a verified member of NeoGaf :D

Been lurking in this topic for some time now and would love to play some games with you guys. I enjoy MLG gametypes, even though I regularly get pooped on in matchmaking (I think I'm locked in at 28). GT: Elite Penguino

vhfive

WizardHowl said:
Hey does anyone have any tips because I'm terrible at Halo. How terrible? Lets just say I can barely use the battle rifle. One of my friends has basically said just strafe, use bumper jumper and don't use assault rifle... Is it really that easy?

do you suck at all fps because if you do than forget your friends advice
stick to social slayer use your ar and default til you start to get the hang of the controls and the flow of the game
after you start to get the hang of it then work on your br
and i still play with default never could make switch to bumper jumper

Thermite

Look at all these juniors! MLG fan takeover total!

rgw3d4.jpg

I kid, I kid. Welcome to the fold, gentlemen.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
WizardHowl said:
Hey does anyone have any tips because I'm terrible at Halo. How terrible? Lets just say I can barely use the battle rifle. One of my friends has basically said just strafe, use bumper jumper and don't use assault rifle... Is it really that easy?

If you're a CQC Rabbit player (meaning you play up close and personal AND you like to jump alot), then use Bumper Jumper. You'll love it.

As disgusted as I am to say this, stick with the AR for a while to get the hang of Halo 3's flow; the 'golden tripod' (grenades, shooting and melee). Occassionally use a BR for the mid-range battles. Once you've got the flow of Halo's gameplay, start getting serious with the BR. Always scout for one in every game and keep using it. It's trial and error at first. Strafing is a plus.

Oh and don't choose a high sensitivity unless you've also been used to fast sensitivities in gaming for a long time. I'd say to keep it at Default (3).

Edit: Hmm, it's weird how Voc's old predicitions have so far been right or very plausible:

Mr Vociferous said:
Some guesswork by yours truly:

• Halo 3: Mythic by Bungie (Fall 2008)
  • Halo Wars by Ensemble (Spring 2009)
  • "The Superintendent Project" by Bungie (Winter 2009)
  • "Halo Chronicles" episodes begin from Microsoft (Spring 2010)
  • A separate Halo game from Microsoft (Winter 2010)
  • A new IP by Bungie (Winter 2010)

amirite?

We can change "Halo 3: Mythic" to the Mythic Map Pack (which was originally supposed to be 6 maps AND come out this Fall like his prediction stated).

Aside from that, he's been right for the next two with the rest pending.

But one of the predicitions which I am a firm believer in (while most people laugh at) is:

Mr Vociferous said:
  • "Halo 4" by Bungie

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12721684&postcount=69691

EazyB

Banned
WizardHowl said:
First of all turn the look sensitivity down to 2. Second of all, find a BR. It's the weapon you will use the most so practice using it as much as possible. The BR is a great weapon for medium to long range combat so use it in those situations.Practice keeping your reticle on their head and they'll go down fast. Until you get the hang of the game you'll probably want to keep the AR in the back of your mind and use it if anyone gets too close.

Here's Luke's suggestions for facing soulja-boy but you can really replace soulja-boy for any low level player.
Know Your Foe:

In a one-on -one scenario with Soulja Boy, you’re dealing with a guy who barely pushes a 1.0 kp/d (kills per death) at level 14. Contrary to his self-professed cranking, Soulja Boy ain’t no Robocop. His primary tools of destruction are melee and AR (like a lot of Halo 3 players). Most of his gameplay is going to center on getting close to you and thwacking you with a melee.

Douse his fire in water. Super soak dat oh! Play a ranged game. Learn where the scoped weapons are and find the right place to set up a perch. Remember to crouch-walk if you want to stay off of his radar. When possible, pair your Battle Rifle with a close-quarters weapon. Grenades don’t always have to be offensive, you can throw grenades in places you’ve been or places you don’t want him to get to. Soulja Boy is probably going to chase you a lot. You should go all Ice Tea on that azz.
Finally learn weapon placement and with enough time you'll develop a nice feel for the map and how you should play on each.

All great suggestions from everyone in here so far for getting better at the game.

Now, I don't claim to be godly at this game, but I am very good. For what it's worth, a General Grade 2, and a 47 in MLG playlist. I would love to play with anyone who feels they want to learn a bit more about the game, whether it be learning callouts, weapon spawns/timers, shooting/strafing, or predicting enemy spawns. A lot of this stuff really only applies to MLG game variants though, as some of the default Bungie maps (I'm looking at you High Ground), are really difficult to predict things such as enemy spawns. People will spawn right next to you on the beach very frequently :p

Tashi0106 said:
Word, I walked up to Shockwave during the tournament to give him some props. Seems like a cool guy. Anywho, my box just broke today but hit me up with a FR and we'll get some MLG games goin. I know me, Juices and BladedExpert are big MLG players here on Gaf (matchmaking lol) but always down for customs. tag is: NYSTOFMIND23

We were shitting on those custom kids anyways. Until my connection dropped me. Great times, you win this time Roadrunner!

Also dont stereotype kids with MLG and PRO in their names. Some of them are really nice (and made from awesome) but just tough guys on internet forums!

But I wanna take this time out to thank Tashi for making me a new 1 month. Great guy.

And also Halo Wars sounds absolutely INCREDIBLE from what dax copied from the magazine.

Jonsoncao said:
now you guys make me confused...so the mythic map pack gonna be available next fall or integrated into Halo Wars?
I'm pretty sure it's being released in two parts. The first half will release with Halo Wars CE, and will become available to purchase a few weeks after on XBL, for those who didn't buy Halo Wars.

The second half will release with Halo: ODST, in Fall '09.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
But one of the predicitions which I am a firm believer in (while most people laugh at) is:
[Halo 4 by Bungie]
After the shit that's been fed to us thanks to MS owning the Halo IP and Bungie not being able to do anything about it I can't understand why anyone would want this. Sure I'm interested in seeing what lies ahead of MC and Cortana but am more interested in seeing Bungie pour every once of effort into new games with new IPs. Even if Bungie owned the Halo IP I'd rather see what else they could do.

Bungie has built an amazing franchise existing in an awesome universe but that's where my desire to see Bungie touch Halo ends. I absolutely think they'd make the best Halo 4 but I feel their time would be best spent elsewhere. They still hold much of the creative talent that spawned the Halo universe so I don't see why they couldn't make something as equally compelling. Sure they won't be guaranteed the millions of Halo fans waiting at simultaneous midnight launch events or the mountains of cash spent on ads and Halo Mountain Dew but Halo CE had none of that and we all know how that turned out.

An Epic Name said:
I'm pretty sure it's being released in two parts. The first half will release with Halo Wars CE, and will become available to purchase a few weeks after on XBL, for those who didn't buy Halo Wars.

The second half will release with Halo: ODST, in Fall '09.
This is mostly correct. The bolded portion is based purely on speculation (unless I've missed something) and wishful thinking. The first half of the Mythic map pack was delayed (all 6 maps are complete and ready to hit XBLM as soon as MS gives the ok) until the collectors edition of Halo Wars comes out. An unspecified amount of time afterwards those 3 maps will hit XBLM. Like An said, the second half is tied in with ODST.

EazyB said:
After the shit that's been fed to us thanks to MS owning the Halo IP and Bungie not being able to do anything about it I can't understand why anyone would want this. Sure I'm interested in seeing what lies ahead of MC and Cortana but am more interested in seeing Bungie pour every once of effort into new games with new IPs. Even if Bungie owned the Halo IP I'd rather see what else they could do.

Bungie has built an amazing franchise existing in an awesome universe but that's where my desire to see Bungie touch Halo ends. I absolutely think they'd make the best Halo 4 but I feel their time would be best spent elsewhere. They still hold much of the creative talent that spawned the Halo universe so I don't see why they couldn't make something as equally compelling. Sure they won't be guaranteed the millions of Halo fans waiting at simultaneous midnight launch events or the mountains of cash spent on ads and Halo Mountain Dew but Halo CE had none of that and we all know how that turned out.
I can't wait until the day Bungie announces a new IP. Halo had a good run, but it's time they do something different. Shock the gaming world once more, just like they did with Oni, Marathon, and Halo: CE.

Also, is the Untitled Peter Jackson project still a go? I haven't heard anything about it in quite some time.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
But I wanna take this time out to thank Tashi for making me a new 1 month. Great guy.

no problem bro...also, as per tips for getting better at the game. Make friends with people who are better than you are. Seriously, this is the way I got better in H2. Just play with people who are better than you are. The beauty of Halo 3 also allows you to watch film. So you can easily pick up on new jumps and moves and strats and all that good stuff. So, send out some FR's and get some customs going. An Epic Name is a General grade 2 and a 47 in MLG so he's really good. Juices has a bunch of accounts but he's a beast for sure. BladedExpert is also a General and is a 45 in MLG (if I remember correctly) and I'm a General grade 2 and currently a 48 in MLG.

But just some tips with the BR. First you should know this, the BR takes 4 shots to kill. 3 body and 1 head works. Any combo for that matter works as long as you finish with a head shot. It's a good thing to count in your head how many shots it takes you to kill a guy (or to be killed :p) Know that 1 beat down and a head shot with a Br is a kill. Also know that 2 BR shots and a beat down is a kill. HOWEVER, this shit rarely happens for me, I don't know what it is but that shit rarely works. I usually sneak in a 3 shot if I can to make sure I get the kill. As per sensitivity, it's really up to you. It's a good idea to try everything. I kind of hit a wall in terms of skill in Halo 3 a bunch of months ago and decided to switch to 10 sensitivity. It has improved my game a lot. Just try everything and see what fits you.

Heres the most important tip. Know the maps inside out. Seriously, if you can get yourself in a position where you can get at the very least 1st shot on someone, then you don't need the greatest BR in the world. You gotta be able to hit jumps, and you gotta be able to escape too. Good Luck and Godspeed.

Never have been able to get into the MLG scene for Halo 3 or really the Halo 3 scene in general. Probably just played way to much Halo:CE and Halo 2 that I'm just burnt out. I still play occasionally, but mostly for casual fun. I think I miss the omfg wtf zones I used to get into for both of those games. Map design was a lot better and the mechanics for both games were both wildly different yet incredibly good for competitive multiplayer.

The Halo:CE pistol, great map design, using nades to grab powerups..man what a great game.

In hindsight, Halo 2 played like a dream. The game was absolutely unforgiving, and the maps were good here as well. BXB, BXR, Double shots...1 on 1's on Warlock, FFA midship soooo good.

Then there is Halo 3...which is far less wild than Halo 2 with map design seemingly based more on visual quality than from a competitive standpoint.

Still a great game though. The playlists piss me off though. I'm always getting objective gametypes in FFA playlists, and the old as dirt maps when I want to play DLC.

kylej

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
In hindsight, Halo 2 played like a dream. The game was absolutely unforgiving, and the maps were good here as well. BXB, BXR, Double shots...1 on 1's on Warlock, FFA midship soooo good.

Then there is Halo 3...which is far less wild than Halo 2 with map design seemingly based more on visual quality than from a competitive standpoint.

Um, ARs? They promote map movement. Golden trifecta? Nades, AR and melee working in perfect harmony. The game is exquisitely balanced sorry you don't know what you're talking about.

Team Duals Isolation is the ultimate Halo experience.

vhfive

kylej said:
Um, ARs? They promote map movement. Golden trifecta? Nades, AR and melee working in perfect harmony. The game is exquisitely balanced sorry you don't know what you're talking about.

i actually got this yesterday and its not as bad as 1 flag ctf on isolation which i also got

also why is standoff heavies still in dlc big team that map frustrates me to no end. all you do is spawn outside then die from either:
a) gauss hog
b) sniper
c) laser
d) camping shotgun bitch in base

speaking of camping bitches here's a video i uploaded a while ago but never shared
click

fin

An Epic Name said:
Shock the gaming world once more, just like they did with Oni...

Oni was pretty bad. The controls were horrible. I actually just played it again last week, it looks like a N64 game. I'm not as optimistic as eveyone else about Bungie's new IP. Can't get much better than Halo, it'll be alot easier to go down than up...

But yeah Halo Wars is sounding better and better, day one for me.

kylej said:

Where did I say anything about balance? And I don't have any problem with default weapon spawn in H3.

So, Halo Wars gets delayed and the Mythic Maps can't release until that goofy RTS Halo bastardization finally gets its shit together?

Why is Bungie handcuffing Halo3 DLC release to games in development?

vhfive

Chernobyled said:
So, Halo Wars gets delayed and the Mythic Maps can't release until that goofy RTS Halo bastardization finally gets its shit together?

Why is Microsoft handcuffing Halo3 DLC release to games in development?
fixed

t4ng0

xxjuicesxx said:
Also dont stereotype kids with MLG and PRO in their names. Some of them are really nice (and made from awesome) but just tough guys on internet forums!
Personally I think those kids(lxl/iz Pro/Pwns Nubs/etc) are the easiest to stereotype, except in rare cases.

Gah I need to get back to playing Halo/mlg. Winter break shall be epic

Louis Wu

fin said:
Oni was pretty bad. The controls were horrible. I actually just played it again last week, it looks like a N64 game.
Are you talking about the PS2 version? Because I heard the controls for that really sucked.

If you're talking about the PC version, though, I'd have to disagree with you. Really, really strongly. I thought the controls were great, and the combination of shooting and hand-to-hand combat was epic.

fin

Louis Wu said:
Are you talking about the PS2 version? Because I heard the controls for that really sucked.

If you're talking about the PC version, though, I'd have to disagree with you. Really, really strongly. I thought the controls were great, and the combination of shooting and hand-to-hand combat was epic.

Yeah PS2 version. I remember playing it alot back in the day but I just went through the training last week. Trying to shoot the glass targets with the dual shock 2 was impossible.

Has there been any word on how these maps are going to be integrated into matchmaking for Halo Wars owners? Or are they going to be integrated at all before their full, public release?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Shake Appeal said:
Has there been any word on how these maps are going to be integrated into matchmaking for Halo Wars owners? Or are they going to be integrated at all before their full, public release?

good question, they should get their own DLC playlist

sixthsubset said:
wtf why is epic name posting on gaf
Do I know you? lol.

I've lurked here for quite some time now, but just recently was able to register, took a few months, but it finally happened. :D

And I'm not so sure about the 'golden trifecta'. The only part that doesn't work for me is the AR. Now this is just IMO, but it promotes blind rushing and way too much CQC. That's not too say it is entirely useless, but I feel so much safer with a BR if I'm not playing an MLG gametype. The majority of people are dumb enough to just blindly rush you with their AR blaring, and you can easily retreat and let them run into your grenades, picking off the easy headshot. And I also hate having a weapon that is virtually useless after a certain distance. If I'm standing closed street on construct (walkway that connects Gold Lift to the purple lift) and am getting BR'd by a guy on open street (walkway that connects gold to the opposite purple lift, the one with the ramp and glass partition), and all I have is an AR to defend myself, well, I'm in a not so good situation. And since the game sometimes spawns you directly into these scenarios, especially in FFA, theres not much to do but die.

Again this is all IMO. I have my own style of play as I'm sure everyone does. Do what works best for you, but be open to trying other playstyles, basically.

t4ng0 said:
Personally I think those kids(lxl/iz Pro/Pwns Nubs/etc) are the easiest to stereotype, except in rare cases.

Gah I need to get back to playing Halo/mlg. Winter break shall be epic

I was using irony to pat myself on the back because my OMGitZanMLGPRO gamertag i also threw in a MadeFromAwesome my other gamertag reference.

My current gamertag is HaloGAFSucks.

Tashi do you still have original Xbox so we can do some H2?

An Epic Name said:
I was just playing some H2 last night. Oh, the memories.

But I played it on my 360. Is it different/better on an OG Xbox?

I have always kinda wondered that too. Back when the 360 came out I was still playing Halo 2 and was convinced the 360 was different than the Xbox but it probably was just in my head.

Azar

Captain Blood said:
I have always kinda wondered that too. Back when the 360 came out I was still playing Halo 2 and was convinced the 360 was different than the Xbox but it probably was just in my head.
I definitely remember it feeling a little different, though it's been too long for me to remember any particulars. But I played a lot of Halo 2 on the 360 the second half of my senior year of high school.

Merguson

Banned
I think Halo 2 had problems with burned in images with campaign (maybe multiplayer) on the Xbox 360. Not sure, it might have been my disc.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
FourDoor said:
Son kills mom and shoots dad in the head for taking away Halo3:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12/boy_killed_mom_and_shot_dad_ov.html

This just sickens me to my stomach.
Fail (not you, the blog).

Petric, now 17, had sneaked out of his house to buy the game. But his parents caught him as he came in with the game and took it from him.
The kid didn't actually own the "violent video game Halo 3" yet. He'd just bought it and hadn't even opened it yet. Somehow, though, it must be the cause of this kid's actions.

I remember hearing somehting about the water looking better on some maps, like under the platforms on Warlock. Probably not, but who knows.

I would say the biggest difference for me between consoles is the controller. No bumper jumper, and it's harder to claw on due to the bumper buttons.

And FourDoor, that's really screwed up. I can't understand kids these days =/

Edit: And the kid was seventeen! Even though it was fucked up he killed his mom and shot his dad, couldn't the parents of let their son, who is old enough to legally buy and play the game, play it? Must have been the religious views of his dad that tried to keep the kid from playing it.

Double Edit: Okay, so this shooting took place last year, and he was only sixteen. Disregard the above :lol

Cocopjojo said:
The kid didn't actually own the "violent video game Halo 3" yet. He'd just bought it and hadn't even opened it yet. Somehow, though, it must be the cause of this kid's actions.

Everyone knows that thinking about playing Halo 3 makes you a violent person. Get with the times, Cocop.

FourDoor

Yes, I saw that too. Sensationalism at it's best. Blaming H3 before the kid even got to play it.

Premeditated murder... plain and simple here. Shoot the parents and then make it look like a murder suicide by telling his relatives that came over to visit that his parents just had a big fight?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
An Epic Name said:
I remember hearing somehting about the water looking better on some maps, like under the platforms on Warlock. Probably not, but who knows.

I would say the biggest difference for me between consoles is the controller. No bumper jumper, and it's harder to claw on due to the bumper buttons.

And FourDoor, that's really screwed up. I can't understand kids these days =/

Edit: And the kid was seventeen! Even though it was fucked up he killed his mom and shot his dad, couldn't the parents of let their son, who is old enough to legally buy and play the game, play it? Must have been the religious views of his dad that tried to keep the kid from playing it.
He wasn't seventeen when he bought it.

Cocopjojo said:
Oh, c'mon. Everyone knows you can go insane with bloodlust just by holding the case. Go find your Halo 3 case and hold it. Can't you feel the dark energy ripping through you? Imagine if this child managed to actually play this evil abomination, he would have killed everyone in a 5 mile radius.

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, that sucks Tashi. Hope it turns around quick.

I'm on my 5th :lol I've never sent one off though. I always took them back to the store I bought them from and made them exchange them :D Screw Micro$oft

neoism

An Epic Name said:
All great suggestions from everyone in here so far for getting better at the game.

Now, I don't claim to be godly at this game, but I am very good. For what it's worth, a General Grade 2, and a 47 in MLG playlist. I would love to play with anyone who feels they want to learn a bit more about the game, whether it be learning callouts, weapon spawns/timers, shooting/strafing, or predicting enemy spawns. A lot of this stuff really only applies to MLG game variants though, as some of the default Bungie maps (I'm looking at you High Ground), are really difficult to predict things such as enemy spawns. People will spawn right next to you on the beach very frequently :p
Not sure how old you are, but you seem like a nice guy. If your looking for a real good player to play mlg with. Send a friend request to H0ly sHadow he's my cousin and in my opinion a very good player, his 14 and really competitive for what its worth. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/default.aspx?player=H0ly+sHadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom