• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Even with the unlocked resolution, the game still looks terrible.

Edit: Are you sure it's even working in that screen you posted. Looks terrible, like an upscaled original res shot.

chiablo

Someone needs to explain to me what the issue was with playing at the game's original resolution (serious question, no sass intended).

Load a game, let's say Team Fortress 2, and change your resolution to 720x960 instead of 1080x1920. Play that game... that's essentially what happens.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Someone needs to explain to me what the issue was with playing at the game's original resolution (serious question, no sass intended).
Play a previously 1080p 3D game on your PS3 or 360 with cables that don't actually allow it to display HD content. Sit just a few feet away from your HDTV. Alternatively play a Wii game on it. The blurry jagged aliased look is what happens when you merely upscale 3D content rather than render it natively in higher resolution and is the only thing Dark Souls officially supports for now.

Edit: perhaps wrongly assuming you're a console gamer, if not do what chiablo says.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Play a previoously, 1080p 3D game on your PS3 or 360 or whatever with cables that don't actually allow them to display HD content. That blurry jagged aliased look is what happens when you merely upscale 3D content rather than render it natively in higher resolution.

I'm going to try this (with Dark Souls no less). Thanks.

Great job, Durante. It looks so much better now.

Maybe it would be a good idea to put a comparison pic in the OP, in case some people have no idea what is going on?

Durante

As for the sharpness of the screenshots:
It was rendering at 2048x1440 which was then scaled to 1920x1080 by the game, giving some small amount of AA but also some loss of sharpness.

However, it is also true that the game seems to do something which makes it less sharp than it should be. However the amount of visible detail and the aliasing is still much improved with higher internal resolution.

Giran

Even with the unlocked resolution, the game still looks terrible.

I think the game has some sort of post-process blur filter going on. That's why it looks a bit muddy. It's still leagues better than the official screenshots Namco kept releasing.

Tain

Spiritual reasons. Principles, expectations, that sort of thing. There's nothing actually wrong with playing Dark Souls at 1024x720 (as evidenced by all the players that loved the console versions), but everyone was hoping for more.

Grief.exe

I'm going to try this (with Dark Souls no less). Thanks.

Unlocked resolution means that we can do things like downsampling as well.

Which means you natively render the game at a higher resolution then your screen is capable of, then downsample it to fit within your screen.

Gives games an extra level of sharpness and anti aliasing effects.

Due to shitty low resolution textures I assume.

No, it's not the textures, it's the blurring on the edges. Has that subnative look. Are you sure this is working Durante?

Spiritual reasons. Principals, expectations, that sort of thing. There's nothing actually wrong with playing Dark Souls at 1024x720, but everyone was hoping for more.
Keep telling yourself that.

It was rendering at 2048x1440 which was then scaled to 1920x1080 by the game, giving some small amount of AA but also some loss of sharpness.

However, it is also true that the game seems to do something which makes it less sharp than it should be. However the amount of visible detail and the aliasing is still much improved with higher internal resolution.

That would explain it. Can you make it render at 1080p, same as output to see how it looks?

Valnen

There seems to be some sort of like...blur filter or something. Hopefully it can be further fixed :D.

Tain

Keep telling yourself that.

Do you apply this to all excellent games? I mean, I'd love to play Virtua Fighter 5 FS at 1200p, but assuming you are interested in the game at all, there's nothing wrong with playing the only versions that actually exist.

Durante

No, it's not the textures, it's the blurring on the edges. Has that subnative look. Are you sure this is working Durante?
I am sure it is working to some extent. Just look at it: there are far more than 1024 pixels of horizontal detail in my shots, and far far less aliasing. It's not working as well as it maybe should and I'll certainly investigate that in the future!

If you run it at 1080p internal there's less detail and more aliasing, but still some blur.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think I may call my character Durante in your honor...

(how about uploading a full 2560x1440 instead of downscaled?)

I am sure it is working to some extent. Just look at it: there are far more than 1024 pixels of horizontal detail in my shots, and far far less aliasing. It's not working as well as it maybe should and I'll certainly investigate that in the future!

I've read your post explaining afterwards. Try setting it to render natively at the same resolution of your screen without scaling, see if that helps.

dino1980

Try again for an answer. :)

Durante: Does it work together with a FXAA injector that also has d3d9.dll like your fix? If not does it work with a SMAA injector that has a dxgi.dll file?

Do you apply this to all excellent games? I mean, I'd love to play Virtua Fighter 5 FS at 1200p, but assuming you are interested in the game at all, there's nothing wrong with playing the only versions that actually exist.

PC gamers have come to expect more on the technical side of games. It's fine if things like low resolutions and terrible frame rate don't bother a person, though.

Durante

I'll put up comparison shots when I provide the download in a few hours, so people can see if they consider the improvement worthwhile.

If there's an option to not play it at subHD resolutions then yes, there is something wrong. This isn't taking any merit about the actual game, resolution won't affect gameplay.

Durante

Try again for an answer. :)

Durante: Does it work together with a FXAA injector that also has d3d9.dll like your fix? If not does it work with a SMAA injector that has a dxgi.dll file?
It will not work out of the box with another d3d9.dll based override, no.

Top Bottom