• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls PC Beta Thread | Gettin' Squigly Wit It

iCJpmMiAmNe6I.png

After about a year, a new company and new publisher and a fund-raising campaign, Skullgirls has finally arrived on the PC... in beta form. Yes, it's an early release, so there will be bugs.

I backed the Indiegogo, where's my beta key!
On your Humble Bundle page that you should have gotten a few months ago... you did register that to your Humble Bundle account/kept a bookmark of it, right?

No...
Stick your IGG e-mail address here, and you'll get a link in yer inbox. Don't forget to register it (and your past Humble Bundles, if you have any...)

Steam says I haven't bought the game yet!
For some dumb reason, the beta and the final game are separate keys for IGG and slacker backer folk. Go to your Humble Bundle page and get a new key.

I didn't back the IGG, but I wanna play now!
Good news: Steam pre-orders are up. £11.99 each, with discounts for multipacks (£30 for a 4 pack, anyone?)

What's the download size?
1.5Gb, although you'll need another gigabyte free for SteamPipe stuffs. You'll also have to download it again on launch.

I'm a tightwad, but I wanna play now!
Good news, temporary beta keys are being vomited around the internet. Check select website or the social medias of your favourite FGC person and you should nab a key. In addition, all of the backers have a temp beta key, so feel free to ask around. NOTE: all free beta keys will expire 22nd August.

What's the minimum specs?
Processor: Dual-core CPU
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD3000
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

The game crashed on me/I found a bug!
ix4ZKxc3nhZ2d.png

(oh, and once you're done, feel free to moan here)

What's not in this version?
Story mode, at the moment. That should be fixed.

What is in this version?
Squigly, in her largely finished form, the return of the Arcade mode, and a very buggy Lobby mode. Oh, and lots of bugs, ripe for squishing.

How often is this beta expected to be updated?
As it turned out, practically daily. We're talking Arcen Games level of patching. Thankfully, most of the patches are small (15Mb ish), so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Is there any NDA? Can I make YouTube videos/stream this version?
No NDA. It is a port of a year-old game, after all.

When's the release?
August 22st.

Right, that's all the frequently asked questions I can think of. Any new FAQs and info will be added later.

Once more for emphasis:
ix4ZKxc3nhZ2d.png

Also: Tournament!
Brackets are here. Check yer e-mails for more details if you've registered.

Chavelo

Will the new updates come out on console later once the Squigly is good to go? Was about to double dip on the game but the price tag scared me... Much rather play MK9 on PC at the moment and then get it at the $15 price once it releases.

Damn you Del! I was literally making the thread as you posted this. :(

But I was making a fancy banner, even Photoshopping out the Reverge Labs logo and replacing it with the Lab Zero logo.

BTW, tip from MikeZ: if you're getting weird menu bugs, nuke the save files (they should be in My Documents/Skullgirls. Yes, it's yet another game that saves in My Documents, *grumble grumble*)

Will the new updates come out on console later once the Squigly is good to go? Was about to double dip on the game but the price tag scared me... Much rather play MK9 on PC at the moment and then get it at the $15 price once it releases.

Yes, the new updates will be released on console when Squigly is finished.

I understand the plan would then be for a Beta branch of the game to be made available on Steam, so you'll have the option of going to the stable version (equal to the console versions of the game) and the beta branch (the Salty Cupcakes builds).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I gotta get in on the ground floor of this thing before Beowulf gets implemented and his slippers ruin the game forever.

So where SHOULD the game saves go? Hidden in UserData?

I dunno. The Steam directory? It's just a personal bugbear, I dislike having to abandon My Documents since every game and it's dog dumps their save files there. I understand why they do it (maintaining XP support), but there's not much excuse if you're dropping XP support. We have a dedicated Saved Games system folder now from Vista onwards, yet the only games using it is Darwinia and the Ys games. Minor bugbear, and me nitpicking it to hell, but still.

Obligatory repost

Squigly combos are ridiculously easy. This one works on everyone

crLK crMK HK
*delay on lighter characters* jMK (to second stage) jHK (2-3 hits) Air QCF+MK
MK HK
jLK jMK jHK Air QCF+MK
LK MK HK
jLP jMK jHK Air QCF+MK
cMP HPx2 QCF+ MK
LP MP HPx2 -> Whatever you want, stance cancel into mixups, super, one of her special moves

Great meterless damage for sure.

Off of a Launcher you can jump, whiff divekick MK and cross someone up if you walk forward.

At any point in a combo you can stance cancel into grabs or divekick or lows or overheads

If you don't feel like using stance cancels then you can end a blockstring with QCF+LK which is fast and looks like you recover neutral to your opponent.

jHP is a great way to space out airdashers ...

Basically Squigly is a great character.

Long combos are long. But if it's easy, I'll practice it.

Just remember to let jMK get itself to the second part of the move and dont bother letting jHK finish the entire animation, this goes for every time you see these 2 jumping normals in the combo. It's VERY simple and the entire thing is just one restand loop into another though.

Dartastic

I forgot that I was super poor at the time when the campaign was going on and I only could contribute 10 bucks. Hence, no beta access. Doh.

LuffyZoro

Personally, my beta's working perfectly, aside from some minor lag that I think is just because of my other programs in the background. Played some online matches as Solobella, got my butt kicked in all of them.

Also, Squiggly's even more cute in motion than I thought.

Chavelo

I forgot that I was super poor at the time when the campaign was going on and I only could contribute 10 bucks. Hence, no beta access. Doh.

Same. Only had like 30 bucks on my name for the next two weeks at the time, but I really wanted to see SG reach the goal when the KS was announced. :p

Squigly is WAY TOO MUCH FUN. OMG.

Also, be aware that there are issues on pause menus when alt-tabbed. I've already sent this to L0, but so everyone is aware, don't select exit game from the pause menu whilst it's not the main window, as you will get the announcer VERY ANGRY AT YOU.

Totally do that, it's really funny.

Soulstar

Squigly is WAY TOO MUCH FUN. OMG.

Also, be aware that there are issues on pause menus when alt-tabbed. I've already sent this to L0, but so everyone is aware, don't select exit game from the pause menu whilst it's not the main window, as you will get the announcer VERY ANGRY AT YOU.

Totally do that, it's really funny.

I just did this like 2 minutes ago.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Control mapping doesn't work well yet. Also, sadly the game runs like ass on my laptop.

It has integrated graphics but still. ;_;

Do note that the odds of someone else giving away their beta key is slim to none, since as far as Steam is concerned, you are activating the full game. (AFAIK)

Downloaded the beta and the game runs smooth as butter at 1080p with 3D stages. The command list doesn't show up, but everything else seems to be on the up and up when it comes to offline play. Load times are nonexistent. This feels like an old school arcade game where you put your quarters in and it is ready to go. SSD users will feel like they're riding greased lightning if my experience is anything to to go by.

My specs:
Acer Aspire AS5560G-7809
AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M 1.5GHz
8GB DDR3, 320GB 5400RPM HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6520G/7670M
15.6" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2008029

Dachande

Had a play around with Squigly in training mode. Very interesting, has some potentially scary air shit. Feels like a much slower character than most of the cast, but I think we knew that from the videos so far.

I don't get the charging moves. I mean, I don't see how I'd incorporate that into play, unless they have some counter properties? In that case they'd be fucking awesome, but I don't think they do...

Had a play around with Squigly in training mode. Very interesting, has some potentially scary air shit. Feels like a much slower character than most of the cast, but I think we knew that from the videos so far.

I don't get the charging moves. I mean, I don't see how I'd incorporate that into play, unless they have some counter properties? In that case they'd be fucking awesome, but I don't think they do...

The charged moves have special proprties, like invincibility or tracking that makes them worth it. They'll be hard to use without assists really.

Top Bottom