• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

TheOddOne

Tons of information has been buried in various threads about who could be helming the next PGR. This thread is a compilation of all the information that has been floating around those threads. Please free to use this thread to speculate further or we can use it to collectively tease enzo_gt.

Note: I’ve avoided using peoples real names for privacy sake, I would advise other people to do the same. Use your google-fu if you want to find out who is who. Mods can pm for an list with the actual names, if needed.

Who could be helming the next PGR?
  • Microsoft has been hunting for a developer in Europe for the PGR series since 2010. So this has been in the planning for a while now. My guess would also be that Forza Horizon came out of that partner search.
  • The most solid report we have so far is that Lucid Games is making the next PGR. Source seems solid, because it also confirmed Evolution Studio’s DriveClub. Polygon’s Arthur Gies also gave a confirmation.
  • Lucid games posted a picture with on it “coming 2013” on their website. Their FAQ also gives a hint that they are working on an old Bizarre IP. Lucid folk also showed up in the PGR appreciation thread.
  • Microsoft recently renewed the PGR trademark.
  • Lucid has about 20+ ex-Bizarre Creations employees and in total around 34 employees according to LinkedIn. Take into account that not all employees make or have LinkedIn accounts, so the number is probably higher. Still, it sounds low for a company that is going to make the next PGR.
  • Rare has been hiring a lot of racing developers, from designers to producers on franchises like DiRT and GRiD. Is Rare maybe doing a co-production with Lucid Games Ltd? Well, the idea would not be too farfetched seeing as Forza Horizon was a co-production between T10 and Playground Games.
The people over at Lucid Games Ltd.:
  • Art Manager: was lead 3D artist on PGR2 and 3. Joined Lucid in February 2012 after a stint at Criterion Games working as Contract 3D artist and World Builder on Need for Speed Most Wanted 2. (Source)
  • Audio Lead: was contract Audio Designer on Blood Stone. Joined Lucid in January 2012 after a three month contract on a Kinect title at Rare. (Source)
  • Character Animator: joined Lucid in October 2012 and notes he is working on a soon to be announced game. (Source)
  • Computer Games Artist: was Technical Artist on PGR3 and 4. He joined Lucid in February 2012. (Source)
  • Designer: was a Games Designer on Blood Stone and The Club. (Source)
  • Designer: was Level Designer on The Club and Blood Stone. He joined Lucid in October 2011 after a five month stint as Environment Artist Wipeout 2048 at SCEE. (Source)
  • Developer: notes on his linkedin on a Top Secret project. (Source)
  • Doing art: was Art Director on Blur and Lead Environment Artist, Lead Effects and Lighting Artist on PGR4. (Source)
  • Doing production: served as Senior Producer on Blur, Producer on PGR4 and Co-Producer on PGR3. (Source)
  • Game Developer: was Senior Designer on Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed at Sumo Digital, Senior Designer on Blood Stone at Bizarre Creations and Lead Designer on the Wipeout franchise at Sony. (Source)
  • Lead artist: served as Art Manager on PGR2, 3, 4 and Blood Stone. He joined Lucid in February 2012 after a stint as Art Manager on Forza Horizon at Playground Games. (Source)
  • Programmer: was Gameplay Programmer for Blur. (Source)
  • Programmer: was Vehicle Programmer at Bizarre Creations and Programmer on Motorstorm: Pacific Rift at Sony. (Source)
  • Programmer: was Audio Programmer on PGR3 and 4. Joined Lucid in October of 2011 after a three month contract at Rare. (Source)
  • Programmer: was Gameplay Programmer on The Club. (Source)
  • Technical Artist: was a Technical Artist on PGR4. (Source)
  • The Co-Founder and Programmer: served as Lead Technical Programmer on Blur and as Programmer on PGR3 and 4. (Source)
  • The Co-Founder and Programmer: served as Lead Programmer on Blood Stone. (Source)
  • The Co-Founder: served as Studio Design Director on PGR 4. (Source)
  • The Co-founder: served as Producer on Blood Stone and The Club. (Source)
  • The Studio Head: served as Development Director and Producer for the Project Gotham Racing franchise over. (Source)
Recent hires at Rare Ltd.:
  • On October 2011 as Software Director. Previously at Codemasters working as Lead Programmer on titles like DiRT 3 and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. (Source)
  • On November 2011 as Studio Audio Director. Previously at Ubisoft Reflections working on Driver: San Francisco. (Source)
  • On December 2011 as Technical Art Director. Previously at Codemasters working as Technical Art Supervisor on titles like GRID2, DiRT3, F1 Race Stars and more. (Source)
  • On June 2012 as Lead Artist. Previously at Codemasters working as Lead Artist on titles like DiRT3. (Source)
  • On October 2012 as Senior Producer. Previously at Codemasters working as Producer on titles like DiRT Showdown, DiRT 3 and more. (Source)
  • On November 2012 as Senior Game Designer. Previously at Codemasters working as Senior Game Designer on DiRT Showdown and DiRT 3. (Source)
  • On December 2012 as Principal Lighting Artist. Previously at Codemasters working as Environment Artist on titles like GRID2 and DiRT Showdown. (Source)
  • On December 2012 as Lead Character Artist. Previously at SCEE working on Evolution Studios' Motorstorm: Apocalypse and Studio Liverpool's WipeOut 2048. (Source)
  • On December 2012 as Principle environment artist. Previously Senior Lead Artist at Codemasters working on titles like GRID2 and F1 Race Stars. (Source)
  • On January 2013 as Principal Rendering Engineer. Previously at Codemasters working as Principal Rendering Programmer at Central Technology Group. (Source)
  • On January 2013 as Senior Rendering Engineer. Previously at Codemasters working as Senior Rendering Programmer. (Source)
  • On February 2013 as Audio Engineer. Previously at Codemasters working as Senior Programmer on GRID2 and DiRT Showdown. (Source)
  • On February 2013 as Principal Artist. Previously Character Artist at Playground Games, Codemasters and Slightly Mad Studios. (Source)
Other tidbits:
  • Rare hired former Bizarre Creations the Video Editor and Cinematics Team Lead! (Thanks for the tip shaneus!) (Source)
  • Rare asked a contract concept artist to make some interesting concepts. Gaffer confirmed that the project was cancelled.
My verdict: I think Rare might be handeling the tech side and Lucid the design.

Even if it is proven false that Rare has nothing to do with the next PGR, it still surpising to see so many racing developer joining.

amar212

Whatever the result will be, new PGR has to happen.

Most beautiful and glorious assets ever made for some game does not deserve to be forgotten on some HDD backups.

Looking forward for MS conference in April.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Great thread, OddOne. Fantastic work as always. Looks like this thread will be my home until April 26.

*punches in*

jcBktM3ZA9EKO.png

Rare, Turn 10 and Playground? :IWantToBelieve:

Good work TheOddOne. I hope you're right. PGR3 was a flagship launch game for the 360, makes sense to have another PG game be a launch game for the new Xbox.

Also it'd be nice to see Rare working on a core game again, although I'd have preferred a new 3D platformer.

Maybe they'll give Forza another year before putting 5 out?

Turn 10 said that the main Forza games would release every other year, without fail.

They said this when they announced Horizon (Which will releasse in between them)

So with that in mind. There will be a Forza 5 later this year. Unless T10 lied.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Don't do this. This is no PGR5

Considering the Drive Club team has members from the teams that made WRC, Formula 1, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, WipEout, Project Gotham Racing, GRID 2, etc. I'm looking at it a bit more than what is coming from MS but I digress.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Turn 10 said that the main Forza games would release every other year, without fail.

They said this when they announced Horizon (Which will releasse in between them)

So with that in mind. There will be a Forza 5 later this year. Unless T10 lied.

A guy from turn 10 said in another thread last year "not to expect Forza this year (2013)".

Shads

Really appreciate all the sleuthing you do, TheOddOne. Whether it really is PGR5 or not, it's still interesting to know all the moves going on with MS these days as they've been so damn quiet otherwise. Though, not sure if it makes sense for Microsoft to have Forza Motorsport, Forza Horizon, and Project Gotham Racing... seems to be saturating their own Racing market. But I would love me some Rallisport Challenge :)

watership

Considering the Drive Club team has members from the teams that made WRC, Formula 1, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, WipEout, Project Gotham Racing, GRID 2, etc. I'm looking at it a bit more than what is coming from MS but I digress.

Where do you think the folks over at Playground games came from? Did you love Forza Horizon?

Isn't lucid made up entirely of ex Bizarre developers?

I believe Lucid has the lead designer from PGR while Evolution nabbed the lead programmer (or vice versa?) but I could be completely wrong on that don't quote me.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Where do you think the folks over at Playground games came from? Did you love Forza Horizon?

Forza Horizon was pretty fun. Would love to see it expanded. Drive Club definitely has my interest though with the idea of 4v4 racing. Trying to jockey for position and coordinated driving sounds pretty awesome to me. I wish I remembered where the post was but somebody had a breakdown of who went to which side for Drive Club/PGR5.

ZoddGutts

I believe Lucid has the lead designer from PGR while Evolution nabbed the lead programmer (or vice versa?) but I could be completely wrong on that don't quote me.

None of the PGR lead designers are at Lucid. Evolution has one of the lead designers Ged Talbot while Sumo Digital has the other two Martyn Chudley and Gareth Wilson.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
But OP, we already have PGR5:

Drive-Club.jpg

>:3
Team Racing? You mean PGR4, right? NO KUDOS NO SALE

Great work on the OP Odd One. So excited for this!

Rumors floating around are saying the game is looking very very pretty.
Tell us more...

I just want to know what car is on the cover and how they're changing gameplay/the roster most :x

I'd hope they'd go with the LaFerrari/F150, but it might be too late in the process with that unless they've GT'd Ferrari.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
a few weeks ago we were hoping for two PGR-alikes, for PS4 and Durango. So far with driveclub we're 0 for 1 :(

Lakitu

st5fu
Great work OP, thanks.

Anyone wondering what cities will be in this one? I think I'd explode if they added some of the best cities from PGR 2 like Edinburgh and I'd be happy if they included new ones like Dubai.

One thing for some reason they never brought back was local radio stations from the cities you drove in from PGR 2. I got into some cool Japanese music.

Did they stop caring when custom soundtracks became a thing?

Top Bottom