• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
- .. -.-- ..- .-. .. / - .-- . . - . -.. / .- -. --- - .... . .-. / .--. .. -.-. --..-- / .--. .-. --- -.-. . . -.. / .-- .. - .... / - .... . / -.. .-. --- --- .-.. .. -. --. .-.-.-

jWrNE.png

-.-- . ... --..-- / .. .----. -- / --. --- .. -. --. / - --- / ... - .- .-. - / --. . - - .. -. --. / -.-. .-. . .- - .. ...- . / .-- .. - .... / .- -. -.-- / -... ..- -- .--. ... / .. / -.. --- / - --- / - .... .. ... / - .... .-. . .- -.. .-.-.-

Retro

- .. -.-- ..- .-. .. / - .-- . . - . -.. / .- -. --- - .... . .-. / .--. .. -.-. --..-- / .--. .-. --- -.-. . . -.. / .-- .. - .... / - .... . / -.. .-. --- --- .-.. .. -. --. .-.-.-

-.-- . ... --..-- / .. .----. -- / --. --- .. -. --. / - --- / ... - .- .-. - / --. . - - .. -. --. / -.-. .-. . .- - .. ...- . / .-- .. - .... / .- -. -.-- / -... ..- -- .--. ... / .. / -.. --- / - --- / - .... .. ... / - .... .-. . .- -.. .-.-.-

Aren't the pictures you use to bump the thread creative enough?

Anyways, picture dissection time;

Rain, obviously.
Rain appears to splatter off surfaces.
Nice puffy white trees.
Nice light-colored bricks. Terraria had too many bricks with heavy black lines.
Some little sprout-like plants on the ground.
Some clutter underneath the staircase, looks like two types of crates.
Nice red brick texture.
Really soft, smooth background walls
Bookshelf looks fantastic.
Nice windows
Soft ambient lighting.
Are those diagonal beams in the 'attic' decoration? They look like trap doors that are raised.
Weathervane
Background has both vertical and horizontal beams, so it looks like background textures will merge nicely.
Really nice bed and chair graphics. Nice brazier too.
New rough wooden door.
Can't tell what those small green things are. Rocks? Little shrubs?
Bushes!

Good thing I have Guild Wars 2 in 5 Days, 13 hours, and 35 minutes.... otherwise the wait for Starbound would be killing me instead.

Tiyuri's response to whether a single planet is expansive enough to stay on and treat the game more like Terraria.

Tiyuri said:
The engine certainly supports planets of that expanse. But it's actually something we've been experimenting with recently. Starbound supports a bunch of "biomes" at the moment, and the same biome is different on a per planet basis.

So we're thinking that perhaps making a single planet so expansive might be a bad idea. We want players to explore multiple planets and see how a forest can look on various alien worlds. On top of that, the great thing about encouraging the player to keep moving is that planets can become throwaway. That allows us to do things like blow them up completely or have meteor showers that completely destroy the landscape.

The important part is making sure the player isn't disturbed by those elements once they decide to set up a home base.

The throw away planets sounds awesome.

Another awesome post. I know it was talked about but couldn't remember if it was confirmed.

Tiyuri said:
It's going to be possible to capture almost any monster in Starbound and have them fight by your side.

Planet hopping seems to be a major feature, but i hope they don't make the planets too small. I'd still like to spend a few hours per planet exploring and finding shit. Especially if I decide to make one my home planet.
Here's a question: can multiple people set up shop on the same planet?

bengraven

This is my single most anticipated game right now.

Please put controller support in though. Terraria crushed my left hand worse than a 25 hour masturbation session.

Retro

More from the Reddit AMA:

On a possible release date: said:
We're aiming for the end of the year.

Will you actually control and fly spaceships in Starbound? said:
Right now spaceships are more of a planet link, though you will be able to get inside them and play with the controls. A lot of people are saying they desire actual space travel gameplay, so we're looking at adding it to our post release update schedule. But right now we're focusing on the planet driven gameplay.

I expect Starbound to evolve for a long time post release

I plan for the core development team to continue to update the game for at least a year or so. Once we're ready to move onto another project I'm going to put together a second team solely to continue updating the game indefinitely.

I think a problem with Sandbox games in general is that they become a little dull once you've experienced all the content. When you're discovering new things, new items or new recipes there's a thrill there that disappears eventually.

My goal with Starbound is to keep that thrill going indefinitely.

How will the Spacestation work? said:
The space station is still heavily under development, so a lot is in flux there. That said I'll tell you where it sits right now.

The space station is the games hub, it serves as a meeting point, a place to conduct research, a cooperative building and management activity and more.

In servers with open PVP enabled, it serves as the only place in the universe that's completely safe. There are no hostile monsters and players can't damage each other. But outside of the station the games takes on a bit of a DayZ feel. With players forming groups, building their own homeworlds and making up the rules as they go. Other players could become valuable allies or dreaded space pirates, it's up to the players.

Everything I've said so far is up in the air, but that's it's current purpose.

How many playable races can we expect? And will there be any racial bonuses that effect gameplay or will it be mostly an aesthetic choice? said:
We're aiming for around 6 for release. Races are largely aesthetics only. Giving them bonuses isn't difficult, but I hate presenting a player that has never played the game before with an early choice that will affect the rest of the game for them.

One thing that is unique per race is the visuals used when they craft basic objects. So an Avian will craft an Avian chest whilst a human crafts a human chest.

I'd like to put out a demo at some point.

I love the thunderstorms in the game right now, archvince worked on generating lightning in real time, the sky gets much more cloudy, trees sway in the wind and it pours with rain. It's very atmospheric.

Gameplay in Terraria was more jump and run, classic platformer. Gameplay in Starbound attempts a slower, more strategic approach. We've actually been looking at games like dragon's age and guildwars whilst working on the combat and spelunky with the underground portions.

we plan to make it extremely easy to join your friends in Starbound. I'd also like to link servers together through some kind of Stargate type doodad.

Will you actually visit your friends' planet and play with them like multiplayer said:
Coordinates are indeed like seeds in minecraft. For you to actually meet your friend there, you'd need to be on the same server.

Trees will drop a seed that reflects it's...seed.. so you can farm unique plants you find. There's no alchemy in the game in a traditional sense, but we've added something to fill the gap that budding alchemists will enjoy.

We'll be adding a fully fledged modding API post release, but the way the engine is built makes it incredibly easy to add new objects, monsters, weapons, etc etc. With zero programming knowledge required. I'll see if we can allow access to that for release.

It's not possible to tell how valuable a planet will be without exploring it, planets also contain villages and dungeons that vary in their lootability.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kind of disheartening how early Terraria stopped receiving updates, will be more cautious buying this.

I don't understand this type of post. It was a 10 dollar game. They provided several FREE and content rich updates before moving on. Yeah, it would have been nice if they updated Terraria for longer but I can't imagine how someone could feel burned by what they delivered.

Plus, this game is made by mostly different people aside from the art guy.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of disheartening how early Terraria stopped receiving updates, will be more cautious buying this.

This isn't even the same developer. The only guy from Terraria devs is the artist, Tiyuri. And this is probably the Nth time this info has been repeated.

Katoki

Wasn't that because they said the game reached a point where they were happy with it and felt it no longer needed updates? Or was that some other game?

Besides that, I'm really looking forward to this game too. I remember that one trailer with the Nyan Cat song redone in it, but that was the last time I recall seeing it.

I don't understand this type of post. It was a 10 dollar game. They provided several FREE and content rich updates before moving on. Yeah, it would have been nice if they updated Terraria for longer but I can't imagine how someone could feel burned by what they delivered.

Plus, this game is made by mostly different people aside from the art guy.

Did not feel burned, I understand it was only 10 USD and Terraria was worthy of 10 USD just for the soundtrack alone.

It was just disappointing.

Atomski

Waaaatttt?

The game was worth 10 dollars at release. The extra content was a great bonus. If this was a dumb console game they would have probably charged for it.

Retro

People are also overlooking the fact that Reddit stopped development on Terraria because he was about to become a father, and knew he couldn't devote the time needed to the game while also raising his kid. I'm probably one of the top three Terraria fans on GAF and even I think he made the right call. Dude has his priorities straight.

bengraven

If you told me five years ago that in a year that would bring us a new GTA and Elder Scrolls that a 16-bit looking sprite based 2D game would be my most anticipated of the year, I would probably laugh at you so hard my lungs would collapse into themselves so dense they would become a black hole.

Your left hand would be the least of your worries. ;)

True, I became a born again Catholic yesterday so now I'm scared about the trillions of unborn children I wiped out of existence and into a tissue.

Edit:

Missed this:

It's not possible to tell how valuable a planet will be without exploring it, planets also contain villages and dungeons that vary in their lootability.

I can't breathe...

Drazgul

Good, good. Can't wait to be an inter-stellar asshole and raze those puny villages for all their valuables.

Despera

Banned
For some reason I've been brushing off this game for the longest time.

Going by the description, this is definitely one of my most anticipated titles.

Lanbeast

Tiy tweeted something a bit earlier about people wanting a beta version.

I can't get to twitter on my work pc or else I'd copy it over. I read it like he's considering it though.

Top Bottom