• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The making of WipEout [Edge]

posted by Kotaku
The game concept came from Psygnosis stalwart Jim Bowers, but when Wipeout’s designer-to-be Nick Burcombe saw a SoftImage animation of two of the ships racing he became inspired: “I’d been watching over his shoulder as it took place,” says Burcombe of the animation. “It reminded me a little of Powerdrome, F-Zero and Super Mario Kart. I was in the throes of finishing Mario Kart at the time and found it to be possibly the greatest game I’d ever played.”
more at the link, including some cool diagrams and photos.

This makes me think of a dream I had last night. I was living in a timeline where Sony launched a VR headset without WipEout VR at launch ! Haha, it was crazy.

1cm2vVI.gif

Everyone I know wants Wipeout ps4 and PSVR compatible!

The Ex wipeout people are involved with Playroom VR and may be doing something in the background so maybe news at E3 or even Playstation Experience.

This article is interesting but originally from 2004! Retro Gamer had one very recently talking more about 2097/XL, also a good read.

Everyone I know wants Wipeout ps4 and PSVR compatible!

The Ex wipeout people are involved with Playroom VR and may be doing something in the background so maybe news at E3 or even Playstation Experience.

Yeah the bots flying around in the WipEout ships was a nice touch and shows that developers haven't forgotten the franchise, it's just Sony who have!

doomquake

I bought a issue of the Edge from the 90s about the making of Wip3ou7 on ebay. I think there are a couple more pics that were in that article. Could scan it for science. Also have all the old flash animations from the old websites in case anyone is interested. I was involved in some lackluster community project to make high quality 3d models of the old ships for a movie..so have a bunch of refence material. I made the piranha from XL Fury cause it looks so bad ass..but never textured it. Even had some id guy help me with some parts..god i love internets.

Man, I miss WipEout, my favorite racing series by far. The style and the music were so good.
3 and Pulse on the PSP were goddamn phenomenal.

Syriel

WipEout 2097 played on a NTSC Saturn was the shit.

Game doesn't get any faster than that.

Made the PSX version look pedestrian.

Necron

WipEout PS4 with VR is something that needs to happen... it's almost preordained. Come on Sony! Or throw WipEout HD onto the PS4 with VR support at least.

Nakasan

PSX is as good a place as any I suppose. I'm not 100% sure when.

It's not really a 'new' game but a remastering of a few of them. It's new...ish.

An amazing week, finishing with a bang.

That model shot in the article makes me crazy jealous. Would have that on full display.

Wiped89

PSX is as good a place as any I suppose. I'm not 100% sure when.

It's not really a 'new' game but a remastering of a few of them. It's new...ish.

IS THIS FOR REAL OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Wipeout on Ps4 = instabuy.
Wipeout on VR = will have to fetch the credit card. HAVE to.

Edit: no longer a junior! What a mature, controlled post to lose my junior status with. Ahem.

The original WipEout was the first game that I ever played on the PS1, and to be honest it did a really good job on convincing me why the console was worth owning back in the day.

I was legitimately impressed by the visuals, framerate and the game's style. Playing WipEout for the first time really was one of those "holy shit" moments for me. It played like a cross between Super Mario Kart and the original F-Zero, but with fully polygon environments and an attempt at realistic physics (for the time) . Sure it didn't look as good as say... Daytona USA in the arcades, but on a home console it was as good as it could get upon release.

It captured the essence of 1995 perfectly, and I loved the Designer Republic styling, UK techno music and gritty style. It was an awesome experience.

Also, I have to post the pre-rendered WipEout pitch video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix35c_8DEXk

That made an appearance in the 1995 movie Hackers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlszssL-eI

IvorB

I don't want to read about this stuff knowing the series is dead. This was the only racing game for me.

Top Bottom