• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man 3 vs Man of Steel, FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

So, the first line was drawn with Iron man three cracking 1 billion, and is sure fire hit.

Now comes Man of Steel, and for once, it looks like someone got modern Superman right, and by all looks seems to be a very good movie and should appeal to a modern audience.

So, simple question: Will Man of Steel smash Iron Man 3, or will Supes find Iron Man's numbers like kryptonite?

My personal take, it won't come close to IM 3 but will do very good numbers settling in around 500 million world wide.

Raiden

Banned
I hope it does good. The world needs more Snyder on these blockbusters.

Next i'd like to see Snyders take on Transformers.

GAZLJj5.gif

Superman will throw him into the sun.

Iron Man has post-Avengers hype. Superman is just getting rebooted. Expectations should be relaxed a tiny bit.

Yeah.

I do not doubt Man of Steel will be a better movie (part of it is hype, part of it is disappointment), but there's no way it's getting anywhere close in terms of BO.

Man of Steel is another shitty origin story, while IM3 was basically the sequel to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, so...

Nobody really saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I mean, that's their loss (it's fuckin brilliant) but being a sequel to Kiss Kiss isn't exactly a plus.

I don't think Man of Steel is going to make more than Iron Man 3. The opening weekend for Iron Man 3 was just too huge, and the legs Man of Steel would need to catch up to that opening (even if it DOES open at 120-130 as some tracking has it doing) is - I dunno. Lotta blockbusters don't have legs like that.

Not to say that it couldn't. And overseas on Man of Steel might be really, really huge (international markets might actually like Superman MORE than American markets) but I don't know if hitting the reset button on 30 years of stagnant cinematic Superman is going to catch up to what many people look at as the sequel to The Avengers.

LosDaddie

Banned
Is this the new Avengers vs TDKR thread? Because the last one ended up great. :)

I think people might be underestimating MoS a bit. I think it's going to do great numbers at the BO. Maybe not IM3-level, but good enough to convince WB to do a JLA movie, or at the very least, a sequel to MoS.

IM3 had a ready made audience and was coming off the avengers. Not to mention that it has maybe the most bankable star in the world right now.

Superman stars an unknown and is starting from scratch. It'll do well and looks fantastic, but it probably won't set opening weekend ww records.

I'm going to manage my expectations, but I think the Nolan association makes this a wildcard. No-one predicted 800 mil for Inception.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't know if they've done a good job marketing Man of Steel, IM movies live off the charisma that RDJ brings.

ReiGun

MoS will do well at BO, but won't overtake IM3.

Quality wise, I certainly hope I'm not as disappointed by MoS as I was IM3.

jtb

Banned
if (and it's a big if) Man of Steel is good, it can easily do a billion also.

the marketing has already been fantastic, the hype is there, and I don't really think that the "first movie" hump will be much of an issue here given how established Superman is in pop culture, and how well movies like the Hunger Games have done.

It may ending up being more critically well recieved, but it isn't going to crack 1B.
Why? Man of Steel isn't coming fresh off the heels of The Avengers. As well-known as Superman is, people don't have the sort of connection to the character that they do with Tony Stark. This is in many ways a new franchise, and while I anticipate it doing well, expecting it to beat Iron Man 3 is foolish.

Kimawolf

General consensus seems to be MOS will get walloped by IM3 when it's all said and done. Alright, lets drop the competition from S rank to B rank.

Marvel has another movie launching this year, Thor:Dark World. Will MOS beat that movie in the BO or will the Avenger's cape carry Thor to a easy victory?

suaveric

Nobody really saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I mean, that's their loss (it's fuckin brilliant) but being a sequel to Kiss Kiss isn't exactly a plus.

I don't think Man of Steel is going to make more than Iron Man 3. The opening weekend for Iron Man 3 was just too huge, and the legs Man of Steel would need to catch up to that opening (even if it DOES open at 120-130 as some tracking has it doing) is - I dunno. Lotta blockbusters don't have legs like that.

Not to say that it couldn't. And overseas on Man of Steel might be really, really huge (international markets might actually like Superman MORE than American markets) but I don't know if hitting the reset button on 30 years of stagnant cinematic Superman is going to catch up to what many people look at as the sequel to The Avengers.

So what is the full tracking range for the MOS opening? Is there a website somewhere that talks about how movies are tracking? I see it mentioned from time to time on Deadline but they don't consistently talk tracking numbers.

MisterHero

Thor? Eh.

I've believed for awhile that World's Finest could match Avengers. Surpass it even. It would require Christian Bale though, not some reboot George Clooney wannabe.

The way some people talk about Thor 2, you'd probably think it's some shitty B-movie that barely broke even. And that's without even counting the obvious Avengers boost it'll have.

But meh, MovieGAF, in general, underrates Marvel's movies at the BO in a pretty spectacular fashion so I'm not surprised.

Iron Man now has the cheap and nasty Marvel movie continuity stank to it. Sure it was fun but now I don't give two craps about anything to do with the canon or characters of the Marvel studios.

Man of Steel has that hard to define sense of class that the past last three Batman films had. I think taking the subject matter seriously and in a contemporary fashion makes the difference. The Marvel films feel very dated - effects aside - they are stuck in the 90's tone-wise.

3N16MA

Banned
So what is the full tracking range for the MOS opening? Is there a website somewhere that talks about how movies are tracking? I see it mentioned from time to time on Deadline but they don't consistently talk tracking numbers.

Try Boxoffice.com. They have updated their projection to 112/OW and 340/total.

Yeah, I get em the same way most get em - some writers have access, and reference those numbers in longer articles. So basically, when they pop up, I take note, but it's not like there's a site where the studios post their tracking numbers, unfortunately.

JdFoX187

Banned
Iron Man 3 will make more money. There's just no way in hell I can see Man of Steel doing the numbers of IM3. There's so much working in its favor compared to Man of Steel, which is still trying to wash the awful taste of Superman Returns out of everyone's mouth.

But unless Snyder, Goyer and Nolan completely shit the bed, there's no way Man of Steel won't be a better film. Iron Man 3 was an Iron Man film that was unabashedly embarrassed to be a comic book film and tried to hide it as much as possible. Man of Steel seems to be embracing its comic book and science-fiction heritage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom