• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth101

Banned
VIDEO COMPARISON.

I could try this "little" thing yesterday. Really nice, specially its feeling-sense of touch.

We recorded this 3DS vs XL video comparison + hands-on impressions:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/24371/V%EDdeo%3A+Nintendo+3DS+vs+3DSXL/

Oh, and weight felt almost the same to me!

I can sum it up.

- The screens are HUUUGE!
- DS games will get a "third life" on the bigger screen.
- The 3D effect is easier on the eye and nicer to the look.
- The technology behind the 3D might have been improved on the XL model. (To confirm)
- They think there's some kind of "filter" at works here because the pixels appear "rounded."
- "The XL is so much more comfortable to hold than the original 3DS that we have to ask what the hell has Nintendo been doing in R&D with the original model." (Paraphrased)
- The difference might be small, but the buttons felt well placed and of better quality.
- The circle pad appears bigger. (To confirm)
- Surprisingly light for its size.
- 3DS games will gain new life from the XL.
- Speakers and sounds doesn't appear to have improve. (Was in a noisy room, to confirm.)
- The XL is an upgrade on the 3DS from almost every single point.

From Google translate:
  • Huge screen
  • Better viewing angle
  • 3D effect looks better/more effective/more natural
  • 2D mode looks better than regular 3DS
  • Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)
  • The grip (round corners) fit nicely
  • Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)
  • Unit is lighter than they expected
  • There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look
  • Not sure at the sound as the room was quite noisy

From that site:

http://www.p-nintendo.com/articles/reportages/exclu-pn-a-teste-la-3ds-xl-232121

4fe9e7c82fc0c0.jpg

4fe9e7c5a75bc2.jpg

New french preview here:
http://www.bamarenlive.com/2012/06/test-nintendo-3ds-xl.html

- the screen looks good, very good
- while the image looked worse on a DSiXL than on a DSi, it's not the case here. 3DSXL pixels look as defined as on 3DS.
- the screen seems very luminous
- 3D effect is more comfortable and more immediate
- the analog stick is more convenient to use, no need to bend your thumb anymore

6a01310ffb1fb0970c017742bde391970d-800wi

6a01310ffb1fb0970c017742bde59f970d-500wi

6a01310ffb1fb0970c017742bde6e0970d-500wi

6a01310ffb1fb0970c016767e2f24a970b-500wi

It looks so good.

Edit:

Hands-on Video

Rich!

put the first two images into quotes, dude. they're fucking huge.

Other than that, as I said in the other thread, fuck yeah

The Boat

Hmm the d-pad and face buttons seem not to be shiny anymore (don't understand what they were thinking with that) and look like the ones on the Gamepad and Pro controller. Good.

bumpkin

Kind of want but at the same time do not want... Increased comfort for larger hands and better quality 3D effect are both big selling points for me. What kills me though is that we're only getting red/black and blue/black in the US at release. I want the white one like in the Nintendo Direct presentation!

Come to think of it, we never got the white original 3DS.

Rich!

my first thought.

So we getting that silver model? Ill settle for that. If not ill hold onto my OG 3ds till all black or that silver comes around (if ever)

If you're here in the UK/Europe, then yes you will get the silver model. If you're in the USA, it's red or blue.

I wonder if the 3D effect seems improved because of the bigger screen, so you can move your head around more without breaking the effect.

Very annoying on the current 3DS. I think they should have dropped the feature, to be honest, because it's inneffective as-is.

Sounds like it should work as intended on this model.

Oh crap. I bought a 3DS last week but decided against returning it after the initial reveal because I like the current versions size but wow thats sexy

Now I'm not so sure...

Rich!

I wonder if the 3D effect seems improved because of the bigger screen, so you can move your head around more without breaking the effect.

Very annoying on the current 3DS. I think they should have dropped the feature, to be honest, because it's inneffective as-is.

In the very first post:

- the screen looks good, very good
- while the image looked worse on a DSiXL than on a DSi, it's not the case here. 3DSXL pixels look as defined as on 3DS.
- the screen seems very luminous
- 3D effect is more comfortable and more immediate
- the analog stick is more convenient to use, no need to bend your thumb anymore

Huge screen
Better viewing angle
3D effect looks better/more effective/more natural
2D mode looks better than regular 3DS
Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)
The grip (round corners) fit nicely
Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)
Unit is lighter than they expected
There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look
Not sure at the sound as the room was quite noisy

Wolfe

That's your opinion dude. The 3D works great for me and I honestly find the games less enjoyable without it.

Personally the more I see about this the more I like it, I just hope they put out the white one as I'm not digging the whole black/red and black/blue.

MG310

Looks so much more comfortable than the regular version. Going to have to think about it...maybe cancel that big Borderlands CE in favor of this.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That's your opinion dude. The 3D works great for me and I honestly find the games less enjoyable without it.

Personally the more I see about this the more I like it, I just hope they put out the white one as I'm not digging the whole black/red and black/blue.
Actually it's probably his eyes more than it is his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom