• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begaria

Meh. Don't really care myself. Still buying this on my Xbox One over my PS4, just for the slightly better Voice Commands and the Achievements.

*digs into wallet*

Here you go.

3dollars.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Go PS4..... So is $60 justified for PS4 now? ;)

I am impressed by the PS4 being so close to PC and even matching the framerate

Not if you've played it before. $60 is still ridiculous, but they can gouge like that while there isn't a ton of games to play.

Cubed

I'm very excited for this news. At first it was simply because this game looked pretty good and I'm just glad it's now 60fps, but the bigger story:

I'm glad developers aren't gimping the PS4 version of multiplats due to some rumored "parity clause" by Microsoft.

Voice Commands and the Achievements > framerates??! Seriously?
I've already played the game once, and I'm rebuying it mostly for the fun of it and to boost my gamerscore a bit more, since I failed to do so with the Xbox 360. If I was as invested into PSN's Trophy as I was with Gamerscore, I would definitely buy it on PS4 instead.

Also, by Voice Commands I mean more than the in-games "Fire", etc. I mean being able to just come home and switch to this whenever I get bored of Battlefield 4/Peggle 2, and be able to snap Netflix and catch up on some shows while I mindlessly replay this for the Achievements. (bolded this because this is my main reason)

Framerate is important to me, definitely more important resolution, but since I've already played this game, I care a little bit less.

the exact same producer said it was a misquote and a false conclusion on Gamradar's Twitch stream

Heh. Either way, he was never wrong. Both versions do run at 30 frames... minimum. PS4 just gets double the performance.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't see the point of 60fps for a game like this tbh.

yeah a huge improvement in framerate which impacts gameplay and visuals is just pretty silly to even consider

they should throw in more explosions instead*

no improvement in framerate can fix Tomb Raider tho
;)

Vidpixel

The weird marketing for this game continues I see. Next week is going to be very interesting once reviews and impressions of both final versions start rolling out.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
And. here. We. Go.

seriously though im glad the developers are actually taking advantage of the ps4's extra horse power.

Griss

I'm very surprised... that people are surprised. The reason '8 gigs GDDR5 lolz!' became a meme was because based on the leaks and rumours we had at the time that RAM increase put the PS4 miles ahead in terms of performance when added to their better GPU.

Everything after we confirmed the specs was just damage control. Before we knew anything we all assumed that the two machines would come in roughly equal, but once we knew what was in them it was clear that they just aren't. Nothing has changed, nothing WILL change. Before they even launched we could guess that we were going to see differences like this all generation. That's exactly what happened at launch, it's happening now, and it will obviously happen in the future. It's gonna be old news in a year. Feels like old news already.

The question is whether the mass market will care. Your average Joe will NOT be able to tell the difference - I learned that when comparing BF4 on XB1 and PS4 with some Canadian friends this Christmas. They couldn't see any differences at all. But if a mass media perception arises that the XB1 has the gimped version of all multiplats then in time that could affect sales as the knowledge spreads to even your most mainstream consumer.

We'll see how it goes.

(Also, I would still totally play the game at 30fps. Just sayin')

GHG

Gold Member
If this is true I may well double dip and get the ps4 version (already own it on PC).

That is, as long as the IQ is decent.

Didn't the Executive Producer for Tomb Raider, Scot Amos, recently confirm it was 1080p, 30 frames on both consoles?

Source

Well... guess this is STILL running at 30 FPS on both. :p So he wouldn't exactly be lying! That powergap, lol.

Meh. Don't really care myself. Still buying this on my Xbox One over my PS4, just for the slightly better Voice Commands and the Achievements.

This post is quite an achievement.

I would like to kill this before it becomes a thing. I want to be part of PS4 club soon and I don't find it flattering when I'm equated to Nazis. It is bad enough that PC master race is a thing.
I second this. That PC master race shit was never even meant as an honorific, and has always been in shit taste. It was old and done with a long time ago and needs to be let fucking go. Please.

An unlocked frame rate that moves between 30 and 60fps is worse than a locked 30. Yuck.
It worked out very well for God of War 3 and not so well with Killzone Shadowfall.

What really pisses me off about these comments is Penello asked if the community would apologize to him if the framerate difference is not more than a few single digits, and yet he has not had the self-respect to come here and apologize to us when the difference is demonstrably massively larger in a myriad of multiplatform titles

can't tell you how much this whole shit this year has soured me on the whole brand

Thanks for the reminder. I feel dumb that I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt early on. He was a pure, unadulterated PR spin machine for a couple of months leading up to launch. Sent only for the purpose of misleading and deceiving.

Here's the quote from the guy, from today.

Uh, no, I mean, you're seeing it right here. So, there definitely, you know, one of the things that people had asked, they had heard various quotes, actually heard some misquotes, our goal from the beginning was always to be 1080p gameplay at 30 fps minimum. So some people have taken that and misconstrued like "oh, it's locked to 30", actually, no, it's literally, the game was always from the beginning, our absolute requirement was gameplay at 1080p and minimum 30 fps and anything past that was gravy. That's the kind of game we are, the kind of world we are and as you're sitting here looking at it, like we said on the PS4, this is running at 60.

RyudBoy

I called it in the other thread that the XB1 version would be able to hit around the 45fps mark. Nice job with the PS4 version though, I'll probably end up getting it when I finally get the system, and the game will be cheap by then.

The way I see it, both versions were locked at 30fps up until recently when all the backlash came about the game being the "definitive" version and only being 30fps. Devs were obviously worried about sales being affected so they went ahead and unlocked the frame rate at the cost of having it fluctuate. I'm glad they unlocked it since judder doesn't bother me, I'm used to that with my underpowered PC.

I hope people will stop complaining now, though.

NastyBook

I would like to kill this before it becomes a thing. I want to be part of PS4 club soon and I don't find it flattering when I'm equated to Nazis. It is bad enough that PC master race is a thing.
All of that, and it'll get a thread off topic quick.

Iacobellis

I've already played the game once, and I'm rebuying it mostly for the fun of it and to boost my gamerscore a bit more, since I failed to do so with the Xbox 360. If I was as invested into PSN's Trophy as I was with Gamerscore, I would definitely buy it on PS4 instead.

Also, by Voice Commands I mean more than the in-games "Fire", etc. I mean being able to just come home and switch to this whenever I get bored of Battlefield 4/Peggle 2, and be able to snap Netflix and catch up on some shows while I mindlessly replay this for the Achievements. (bolded this because this is my main reason)

Framerate is important to me, definitely more important resolution, but since I've already played this game, I care a little bit less.

Heh. Either way, he was never wrong. Both versions do run at 30 frames... minimum. PS4 just gets double the performance.

Shut the fuck up with your hopeless spin.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I can't say I'm shocked at this news. I think this will all depend on the lead platform for each game. Below are the scenarios I imagine will happen in the future.

Games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on XB1 will be 1080p 60fps on PS4 (TR).

Games that are targeting 1080p 60fps on PS4 will be 720p 60fps on XB1 (CoD).

Games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on PS4 will be 900p 30fps on XB1 (ACIV).

Games targeting 1080p 30fps on both consoles will have less special effects on the XB1 version (NFS).

I'm curious to see if this holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom