• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/wii_servers_go_.html

Well, with like eight hours to go before the first Wii is sold, Nintendo took their servers online this morning. Wii Shop is the only thing you can access. From there, you have three options: give them money (purchase Wii points with a prepaid card or CC), buy virtual console games, or go into the Wii Ware channel which will eventually sell you the Opera browser and original Wii software, but for now just features a whole lot of nothing.

Launch game list:

* Donkey Kong (NES)
* Legend of Zelda (NES)
* Mario Bros. (NES) -- that's not "Super"
* Soccer (NES)
* Pinball (NES)
* Wario's Woods (NES)
* Solomon's Key (NES)
* F-Zero (SNES)
* Sim City (SNES)
* Altered Beast (GEN)
* Sonic (GEN)
* Super Mario 64 (64)

No Turbo games? WTF. Actually, I take that WTF back and I apply it to the fact that when you start a virtual console game from the menu, if your TV is in 16:9 mode, it defaults to a stretched-out image. And you have to manually put it back into 4:3. WTF. Lame.

They should have launched the service with more, bigger games. Looks like I'll probably pick up Zelda, Super Mario 64, F-Zero, and Sonic off the bat, and then wait and see what's in the pipeline. Hopefully stuff like Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country, and Wave Race 64 aren't too far off.

JCX

Seriously nintendo, I want gunstar heroes now. This launch is getting to be pretty dissapointing.

Kobun Heat said:
No Turbo games? WTF. Actually, I take that WTF back and I apply it to the fact that when you start a virtual console game from the menu, if your TV is in 16:9 mode, it defaults to a stretched-out image. And you have to manually put it back into 4:3. WTF. Lame.
I suppose they might fix that, but I wouldn't bet on it. Seems kind of odd... if anything it should be the other way around.

So how do you buy stuff with a CC? Do you have to punch in the number every time, or can you store it in memory and lock it away with a pin code?

If you have an account with Nintendo already through their web page, you can link it to your Wii account. So I assume you store your CC info behind that password, although I haven't tried buying more points yet. I'll give that a spin later.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Apparently the Virtual Console list is updated every Monday, so check back in a few days and Gunstar Heroes might be there. With luck. :D

Chris, just a couple of quick Qs:

-- Once downloaded, each game gets its own Channel, right? Can you organise these under one "SNES Channel", for example, or are you stuck with filling up the Channel grid with individual games?

-- What does the "More Details" button on each VC title listing link to?

-- Any noticeable improvements in terms of framerate, res etc., especially on SM64?

Kobun Heat said:
If you have an account with Nintendo already through their web page, you can link it to your Wii account. So I assume you store your CC info behind that password, although I haven't tried buying more points yet. I'll give that a spin later.
That's interesting. Do you just log in with your My Nintendo account then?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
brocke said:
so how will the games be stored on the wii again with no harddrive?
Maybe the 512 MB of flash memory the Wii has? or how about the SD cards you can put them on?

Quartet

that is uber stupid "launch". The whole catalog of all games should be available at launch, it's not as if retro gamming would distract folk from buying real Wii launch games.

Was the downloading quick?

Given the tininess of the downloads, they should be pretty instant. Since these are just the Nintendo games, I can imagine the other consoles would follow shortly behind. I mean, the system hasnt officially launched.

Quartet said:
The whole catalog of all games should be available at launch
Agreed. They should be going off the iTunes model. Instead of... whatever you'd call this model. The Consumers Are Stupid model, I guess you'd call it.

White Man

Quartet said:
that is uber stupid "launch". The whole catalog of all games should be available at launch, it's not as if retro gamming would distract folk from buying real Wii launch games.

No, this is the smart thing to do for Nintendo. During the inevitably slow post-launch period, they could string people along with new VC releases. Hopefully PS3 does this as well.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What? Blowing their load all at once would be pretty dumb.

Aren't they adding more every Monday?

Still destroys Live Arcade's promises.

BuddyC

No Bonk's Adventure is a tragic exclusion. Tragic. You can't just tease us like that Nintendo. You lied. You said it would be there. You got my hopes up. That's not nice.

sad.gif

I am stupidly hoping it will appear in the ~12 hours before I get my Wii.

Quartet said:
Doing it this way some games get more sales then they would on an open 100+ list, its all about marketing.

AntMurda

Hopefully we get:

1080* Snowboarding
Wave Race 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X + Expansion Set

running 480p through emulation :)

Fire Emblem 4
Fire Emblem 5
Detective Club 2 '98

Translated and released through Virtual console :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Speevy said:
Half those are playable in Animal Crossing. Get more games out.
It would've been nice if the Wii automatically unlocked VC games for free (or for cheaper than the current cost) for games that we already own (games in AC, Zelda CE, etc).

White Man said:
No, this is the smart thing to do for Nintendo. During the inevitably slow post-launch period, they could string people along with new VC releases. Hopefully PS3 does this as well.

Bingo. If they can keep up their promise of new releases every week & at least ten new VC titles a month then I'm going to be happy enough with this setup.

omg rite said:

Too right. I'm still holding out hope that PS3's downloadable PS1 games will shame Nintendo into lowering their prices.

SovanJedi said:
Apparently the Virtual Console list is updated every Monday, so check back in a few days and Gunstar Heroes might be there. With luck. :D

This better be added on Monday. I was expecting to download it tomorrow.

This is like if Netflix launched with some random teen comedies and 2 Land Before Time movies and only added one new DVD to rent every three weeks.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah Gunstar not being there is pretty disappointing. Tetris Attack and Earthbound are the games I desire, but I was gonna spring for Gunstar as I waited for those games.

pCeSlAyEr

Milhouse31 said:
NES games are like 15KB, SNES one 4MB max and N64 one 64MB (Conker or/and RE2) max but SM64 is like 6MB

They better be fast
also im sure they will be compressed/packed inside of some container file to make them smaller..

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
AntMurda said:
Hopefully we get:

Fire Emblem 4
Fire Emblem 5
Detective Club 2 '98

Translated and released through Virtual console :)

I wouldn't get my hopes up for that. :(

ethelred

omg rite said:

No, it really doesn't. XBLA destroys this horrifically shitty list. This is a tremendous failure to deliver on the promise of the Virtual Console, and I cannot believe Nintendo is launching like this.

I don't expect them to have the entire catalogue available at launch, but jesus christ, this is a shitty list.

Cosmonaut X said:
Bingo. If they can keep up their promise of new releases every week & at least ten new VC titles a month then I'm going to be happy enough with this setup.

I like the setup, I'm fine with using the Virtual Console to bolster slow periods software-wise, but they really, really, really needed more games at launch. Like, 40 or so. This is a pathetic lineup.

Thanks for the list Kobun. Nothing I'm really interested in there but there are a few good titles. I'll probably hold off for Gunstar Heroes or Bonk's Adventure before I invest in a Classic Controller.

I'm looking forward to seeing that video you're putting together though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ethelred said:
No, it really doesn't. XBLA destroys this horrifically shitty list. This is a tremendous failure to deliver on the promise of the Virtual Console, and I cannot believe Nintendo is launching like this.

I don't expect them to have the entire catalogue available at launch, but jesus christ, this is a shitty list.

.. It's launch day, you over exaggerating silly goose.

XBLA in no way DESTROYS this list. Live Arcade has been out for a YEAR. This will be Nintendo's DAY ONE LINEUP, with more to follow every Monday apparently.

Microsoft has trouble getting out ONE game per Wednesday.

Also with this update is the ability to put your saves onto your SD card. You can also store your virtual console games on SD too.

I love the fact when you do this, it dumps it into a folder called "private."

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:

Yeah anyone who thinks this is better than XBLA - especially since it now has tons of content, 95% with additional content added to the original titles - either doesn't own or know anything about a 360, is bullshitting, or is one of those.

Top Bottom