• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Giacchino posts Clip from Spider-Man Homecoming OST -> Classic Theme

Quick

Banned
Done! Here's the music with the Marvel Studios logo intro:
https://twitter.com/hassanahmed120/status/865699969893896196

giphy.gif

Glass Rebel

Hope this doesn't just disappear in the background like the Doc Strange score. Legit one of the better CBM scores if they actually let you hear shit.

He sometimes does some dope scores but I pray Matt Reeves doesn't bring him on for Batman. I want him far away from that

Give me Clint Mansell or Reznor/Ross plz

I dont want more tries of more niche but well valued composers (becuase what they know to do, they do it VERY good) that clearly have never touched adventure epic stuff and dont understand it, nobody says they cant get it right, but there has been too many composing experiments in soundtracks where it should be important to have a classic memorable score for me to be fed up of this type of composers and their mediocre experimentations in big budget movies. It failed in Godzilla, it failed in some of the last Harry Potters (seriously, Alexandre Desplat should stop getting this type of big movies, he is really not cut for the stuff, and by the interviews, he clearly doesnt even seem to like it), and not talking about movies here but games it also failed with Epic Mickey (James Dooley should never come near a vidoegame again), and I never really gave a fuck about the tracks Mansell composed for Mass Effect 3 (they were good, not outstanding like some of his other work).

I want Batman sounding melodic and adventurous again. So Matt reeves, please contact Giacchino (and he already worked for him so the possibility is really high, Giacchino is a composer that when a director gets him, they usually reapeat).
And Giacchino has touched every type of music under the sun, and is very capable to make anything that is really needed.

Done! Here's the music with the Marvel Studios logo intro:
https://twitter.com/hassanahmed120/status/865699969893896196
Man, that gets you pumped for a spider man movie A LOT!
Super hyped to see everything about this ost.

Honestly the chords for his Doctor Strange theme are similar to Star Trek theme, but they go in a different melody like a lot of theme music that sounds similar so it isn't just a case of "copy and paste" per-say.

And again, you can point at most composers when it comes to this. John Williams does this, like everyone does this. It doesn't mean it's the same exact thing. The person I was replying to claimed it was the same exact thing, and it isn't. Similar chords, but a different theme and instrumentation.

I'm just saying, "it sounds similar" because composers will often stick to a certain style. It's why you can sometimes distinctly tell who's score it is without being told first. I don't think it means they're going through motions, just that they have established a certain style/voice. There's a hell of a lot more to music than some tracks having similar chords.

I dont want more tries of more niche but well valued composers (becuase what they know to do, they do it VERY good) that clearly have never touched adventure epic stuff and dont understand it, nobody says they cant get it right, but there has been too many composing experiments in soundtracks where it should be important to have a classic memorable score for me to be fed up of this type of composers and their mediocre experimentations in big budget movies. It failed in Godzilla, it failed in some of the last Harry Potters (seriously, Alexandre Desplat should stop getting this type of big movies, he is really not cut for the stuff, and by the interviews, he clearly doesnt even seem to like it)
I can't agree with Desplat's music not working on the Harry Potter films. His work was some of the best in the series and definitely left an impression on me. Obliviate, Lily's Theme and Statues were excellent to name a few. It would have been interesting to hear his Rogue One score, though I was happy with the one Giacchino gave us.

jb1234

I dont want more tries of more niche but well valued composers (becuase what they know to do, they do it VERY good) that clearly have never touched adventure epic stuff and dont understand it, nobody says they cant get it right, but there has been too many composing experiments in soundtracks where it should be important to have a classic memorable score for me to be fed up of this type of composers and their mediocre experimentations in big budget movies. It failed in Godzilla, it failed in some of the last Harry Potters (seriously, Alexandre Desplat should stop getting this type of big movies, he is really not cut for the stuff, and by the interviews, he clearly doesnt even seem to like it).

Desplat has plenty of experience writing for action/adventure films, dating all the way back to 2005 and his work in the genre is critically acclaimed. I respect it because it doesn't sound like the generic Zimmeresque sound we tend to get with these films and he knows (REALLY knows) how to write for an orchestra.

(And I liked his HP and Godzilla scores. Very aggressive action writing in the latter.)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wow everyone is about to forgot SM2 ever existed

tobey who

Civil War already teased me though

MCU was like "hey we're going to put all those other renditions to shame in 15 minutes of screen time without breaking a sweat"

seriously - its wild that the best spider man in cinema is embedded in another movie

I dont want more tries of more niche but well valued composers (becuase what they know to do, they do it VERY good) that clearly have never touched adventure epic stuff and dont understand it, nobody says they cant get it right, but there has been too many composing experiments in soundtracks where it should be important to have a classic memorable score for me to be fed up of this type of composers and their mediocre experimentations in big budget movies. It failed in Godzilla, it failed in some of the last Harry Potters (seriously, Alexandre Desplat should stop getting this type of big movies, he is really not cut for the stuff, and by the interviews, he clearly doesnt even seem to like it), and not talking about movies here but games it also failed with Epic Mickey (James Dooley should never come near a vidoegame again), and I never really gave a fuck about the tracks Mansell composed for Mass Effect 3 (they were good, not outstanding like some of his other work).

I want Batman sounding melodic and adventurous again. So Matt reeves, please contact Giacchino (and he already worked for him so the possibility is really high, Giacchino is a composer that when a director gets him, they usually reapeat).
And Giacchino has touched every type of music under the sun, and is very capable to make anything that is really needed.

I agree that I want Batman to sound big & epic again, but I disagree about Godzilla's score, not only did I think it was one of 2014's very best scores, but it had a pretty big theme & a huge orchestra. It's not for everyone, but I thought it was a damn great score, and Desplat has made over good scores for big budgeted films. I'm still disappointed we never got a chance to hear his score for Rogue One, but hey at least he's doing Valerian.

And again, you can point at most composers when it comes to this. John Williams does this, like everyone does this. It doesn't mean it's the same exact thing. The person I was replying to claimed it was the same exact thing, and it isn't. Similar chords, but a different theme and instrumentation.

I'm just saying, "it sounds similar" because composers will often stick to a certain style. It's why you can sometimes distinctly tell who's score it is without being told first. I don't think it means they're going through motions, just that they have established a certain style/voice. There's a hell of a lot more to music than some tracks having similar chords.

Oh I know, I was just pointing that out. A lot of Giacchino's scores are distinguished by that three note piano medley of his, which has become a trademark since Lost.

jb1234

I agree that I want Batman to sound big & epic again, but I disagree about Godzilla's score, not only did I think it was one of 2014's very best scores, but it had a pretty big theme & a huge orchestra. It's not for everyone, but I thought it was a damn great score, and Desplat has made over good scores for big budgeted. I'm still disappointed we never got a chance to hear his score for Rogue One, but hey at least he's doing Valerian.

And a Del Toro film near the end of the year! Desplat's drama scores are frequently very beautiful but I greatly enjoy it when he goes all epic with a huge orchestra.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

WillyFive

Giachinno is almost too good for the MCU, but this was fantastic.

He sometimes does some dope scores but I pray Matt Reeves doesn't bring him on for Batman. I want him far away from that

Give me Clint Mansell or Reznor/Ross plz

Giachinno will go full Danny Elfman on Batman if he was given the chance.

How could you not?

Oh I know, I was just pointing that out. A lot of Giacchino's scores are distinguished by that three note piano medley of his, which has become a trademark since Lost.

Yeah sorry I guess I wasn't necessarily trying to explain it to you as you seemed to have been saying the same thing, just... expanding on it I guess? Anyway sorry if the tone felt belittling or something, we're on the same page. :p

watershed

Banned
Cool use of the classic theme but I don't really trust Giacchino to write distinctive music anymore. His last few scores have been very samey.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I hope it plays in a scene in the actual movie and not just the credits or something.

EDIT: I'd also accept the Marvel logo at the start like some here are theorizing.

I don't get the hype. Its just the old theme rearranged. Nothing against that mind you, just not getting how that is a holy shit moment.

Right there with you --- this is a fun orchestral remix of the old theme but nothing mind-blowing or extremely praiseworthy. Maybe everyone is just excited b/c they are finally using this old theme for a Spiderman movie after 2 decades worth of reboots?

Michael Giacchino seems to get heaps of praise for repackaging classic themes in mediocre ways (e.g. Rogue One OST and the theme in this thread) or coming up with mediocre new themes for classic movies (Star Trek etc.). The true greats like John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith etc. could run circles around him and write 100 truly memorable, famous themes or motifs for every 1 that he writes that manages to reach their level of skill.

jb1234

Right there with you --- this is a fun orchestral remix of the old theme but nothing mind-blowing or extremely praiseworthy. Maybe everyone is just excited b/c they are finally using this old theme for a Spiderman movie after 2 decades worth of reboots?

Michael Giacchino seems to get heaps of praise for repackaging classic themes in mediocre ways (e.g. Rogue One OST and the theme in this thread) or coming up with mediocre new themes for classic movies (Star Trek etc.). The true greats like John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith etc. could run circles around him and write 100 truly memorable, famous themes or motifs for every 1 that he writes that manages to reach their level of skill.

Tragically, that level of craftsmanship and training isn't something that's particularly appreciated in contemporary film scoring.

(And I like Giacchino but he's nowhere near Goldsmith or Williams.)

WillyFive

Michael Giacchino seems to get heaps of praise for repackaging classic themes in mediocre ways (e.g. Rogue One OST and the theme in this thread) or coming up with mediocre new themes for classic movies (Star Trek etc.).

Giacchino gets praise for doing fantastic new themes that pay tribute to old ones. Ignoring the laughable idea that Enterprising Young Men or the new themes in Rogue One are mediocre in any way, Giacchino has done wonderful remixes of old themes like Speed Racer and the 60s Star Trek.

Top Bottom