• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on Farcry 4: Map Size, Blood Dragon 2,extreme mode, PS4 co op, etc

sjay1994

For the finale of gameinformers Far Cry 4 coverage, they held a podcast with Alex Hutchinson, the creative director of FC4 and asked questions from their readers. This podcast occured after e3, you can listen to it here but I will cliff note the major points

• The map size is relatively the same square footage of Far Cry 3's rook island, however due to the mountainous regions, the map is far more dense than FC3.
  • The team behind Far Cry views the games as more of a series than a franchise, as it doesn't need to worry about narrative baggage. This factors in to what Dean Evans and his team are doing. It might not be blood dragon 2, but rather something unexpected
  • When asked about temperature, Hutchinson said he would love to make an extreme far cry game akin to what the modding community might come up with. His ideas were you get hypothermia when in cold water, you contract diseases when certain animals bite you, permadeath, etc. However, the main game doesn't have anything to do with these hardcore options, the team might consider making a mode for it if there is interest.
  • No sharks in FC4.... but there are Demon Fish, and honey badgers.

Huge_Demon_Fish.jpg

• Thin air is a factor in some mountainous areas. You need to have oxygen in these areas, and you do not have much of it.
  • There is an avalanche setpiece in the game, but players can not trigger them freely.
  • When a player buys the PS4/PS3 version of FC4, they will get around 10 tickets called "Keys to Kyrat",that you can give to friends. They will be able to download a limited version of FC4 that has all the co op content and everything but the single player content. They will only be able to play the limited version if you are playing the main version of FC4. Hutchinson is not sure, but Sony might implement a time box.
  • No splitscreen co op.
  • There is a competitive multiplayer in FC4. No details were given. The team views FC3 mp as unsuccessful, but are using lessons they learned to hopefully build a fanbase with FC4's mp.
  • You will unlock the wingsuit pretty early into the game
  • I found this one interesting. In some of the games cinematics, players can interupt them with actions, however they player will not have a prompt to do so. These will be hidden. This was made to address Far Cry 3's QTE boss fights. Also, it sounds like there are no QTE's in FC4.
  • You can throw grenades through enemy car windows while you are driving, and drive away
  • Flame spreading still in FC4.
  • Hutchinson had lots of ideas to use poop as a weapon, like using it to coat arrows to make poison... team said no.
  • You can turn off the HUD, and each element of the UI, like XP feedback, etc. Designed with the next gen consoles sharing features in mind.
  • There are multiple endings, but they are less clear than far cry 3, so not press LT for good ending, RT for bad.
  • You can pick sides with the different factions, and this will effect relationships with different characters, and can effect the endings.
  • You can reset outposts, but the team is giving a narrative reason for it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice.

I like the Coop idea, sounds really awesome for being able to experience Coop with friends that may not have the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like the interrupt idea. It's works well in Bioware's games for adding a sense of urgency to reactions and should be cool here without a prompt.

hawk2025

I'm currently replaying FC3 on PC, and my two MAJOR complaints on a second playthrough were:

- "I want the damn wingsuit already!"

- "These QTE boss fights were a really, really bad idea"

So this excites me greatly. The base gameplay is just so much fun.

PensOwl

Banned
I hope that their master plan for Far Cry is to secretly turn it into Far Cry 2 over time. Its the only way people will accept the brilliance that is Far Cry 2 into their hearts.

Not sure if I'm interested in this game or not. Far Cry 3 as a sandbox was pretty fricking sweet, but a lot of the game was really really stupid. :) I hated the story, and a lof the chore like optional quests, but at the same time, the things that were good were things you could only dream of just 5-6 years ago.

Tagyhag

"You can pick sides with the different factions, and this will effect relationships with different characters, and can effect the endings."

Far Cry 2 all over again, hopefully they deliver this time.

Apdiddy

Hardcore mode sounds like Far Cry 2's malaria and weapons jamming but worse. I imagine however things are better and it might be better implemented.

JohnGrimm

A Ubisoft employee mentioning mods?

Proper SDK incoming.

Please. Ubisoft games are ripe with modding potential.

• The team behind Far Cry views the games as more of a series than a franchise, as it doesn't need to worry about narrative baggage. This factors in to what Dean Evans and his team are doing. It might not be blood dragon 2, but rather something unexpected

Dinosaurs. DINOSAURS

I'm actually glad that they're probably doing something different. After Blood Dragon, I'm interested in seeing what kind of direction they'll have the series go into next.

I kind of agree but my opinion is biased since i loved Blood Dragon alittle too much, dat soundtrack, dat everything! However, it will be interesting to see what they will be doing in terms of FC as an DL game. Hopefully it will be as good or even better then BD. Wouldn't mind a sequel to BD though, heh.

Sounds good. A bit of a shame they're not just abandoning competitive MP altogether, as I thought it was throughly mediocre and I don't know anyone who cares about this game because of it.

Also find that co-op sharing mode interesting. It's quite ironic that despite all of MS's claims about Family Sharing last year, Sony are the first to implement such an idea.

Gbraga

Unlocking the wingsuit early is great news. By the time I got it in Far Cry 3, I couldn't stand the game anymore.

Auctopus

Sounds pretty good, not really interested in Far Cry anymore but glad to see they're moving the franchise forward.

With the addition of mountains, the area becomes more dense? So the map seems bigger because you've got to drive around bigger obstacles?

Hardcore mode sounds interesting.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I thought Far Cry 2 was a fantastic game, so this "extreme" mode sounds like precisely what FC4 needs. I hope that there's enough interest drummed up for it from the community, or if not, that the PC modding community will be able to create such an experience given the proper tools.

I thought Far Cry 2 was a fantastic game, so this "extreme" mode sounds like precisely what FC4 needs. I hope that there's enough interest drummed up for it from the community, or if not, that the PC modding community will be able to create such an experience given the proper tools.

Far Cry 2, while repetitive/tedious in long bursts, is still pretty damn fantastic. Now if only the fucking analog calibration in the console versions weren't completely busted.

This sounds actually really good. I never played far cry before as I heard 1-2 is terrible. However this sounds pretty cool. I have to dig into 3 before this but so far, I'm like what I'm hearing.

antitrop

This sounds actually really good. I never played far cry before as I heard 1-2 is terrible. However this sounds pretty cool. I have to dig into 3 before this but so far, I'm like what I'm hearing.

Absolutely wrong. Far Cry 1 was great for its time, it only turns terrible 3/4 of the way through the game when they ditch enemies with AI and assault rifles for dumb monsters that run right at you.

Wait so the map is the same size as one of the FC3 islands AND is more mountainous? That tells me that there is less useable land area :(

Top Bottom