• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Game Informer Details

Effect

As absolutely horrible as all this sounds, the fact that it uses the Hero Engine ensures that I would never give a single cent towards this.

SWTOR uses this engine and even with all the resources and money thrown at it from EA/BW it is an absolute piece of shit

That's another thing. I don't like the way SWTOR's areas are designed. There are some exceptions but on the whole no. Especially when you compare what a normal Elder Scroll game world looks like and how that world is designed.

To play devil's advocate here, this large amount of negative hype / feedback may be good for this game.

For one, this game will most likely not be over hyped so the bar will be low for it to succeed. There hasn't been one heavily hyped game that hasn't crashed to the floor after release in the past several years.

Two, the developers may be more open to feedback and changes in fear of "flopping." The developers will have to prove their game's worth. The coat tails won't go that far with TES branding IMO.

What no Hammerfell? =(

"The game features three faction PvP where you fight to take over keeps and use trebuchets and other siege weapons to help do it. At the high end, you can have 100 v 100 battles. There are also farms and mines you can try to take over. Mots of this happens in Cyrodiil where your goal is to take over and hold the Imperial City to get faction wide bonuses for it. If you have played Dark Age of Camelot, this probably sounds familiar. For those who haven't, essentially the entire zone is a giant PvP area will all sorts of points of interest."

I loved the PVP in DAOC! *happy dance*

I think every major area is in the game so should have hammerfell. They just said certain large areas may be closed off for expansion, with an example being the mage's college in Skyrim. Still with the Hero engine, they have a lot to prove if they can make a consistent, huge world for exploring that symbolizes TES.

DTKT

To play devil's advocate here, this large amount of negative hype / feedback may be good for this game.

For one, this game will most likely not be over hyped so the bar will be low for it to succeed. There hasn't been one heavily hyped game that hasn't crashed to the floor after release in the past several years.

Two, the developers may be more open to feedback and changes in fear of "flopping." The developers will have to prove their game's worth. The coat tails won't go that far with TES branding IMO.

It's a hard thing to change core features when you are releasing in a year.

I would be perfectly happy with Skyrim as it is now with a bunch of other real people walking around TBH. No need to turn this into a generic WoW clone.

Still... the PvP sounds good. We will see... not terribly excited atm.

Boss Man

My girlfriend said it looks like final fantasy. Real story.
To be fair, that first screen is rather reminiscent of one of the earlier scenes in FFIX.

But yeah, I want to be hyped, but it looks like the worst possible people got their hands on it.

It's a hard thing to change core features when you are releasing in a year.

Maybe. Don't know the capabilities of the engine to change on the fly. Quick read of the site claims they can do rapid development. Not saying that the entire game could change; for example, from feedback they could change the combat system somewhat for example, leaving the rest alone (pvp, public dungeons, hubless quest design) and may get somewhere. Just a devil's advocate opinion.

milsorgen

Banned
Maybe. Don't know the capabilities of the engine to change on the fly. Quick read of the site claims they can do rapid development. Not saying that the entire game could change; for example, from feedback they could change the combat system somewhat for example, leaving the rest alone (pvp, public dungeons, hubless quest design) and may get somewhere. Just a devil's advocate opinion.

Wiki states an expected 18 month development time with the Hero engine. What they've been doing since aught 7 is anyones guess.

Dunlop

Maybe. Don't know the capabilities of the engine to change on the fly.

I cannot stress how bad and limited this engine is. I am still playing SWTOR because of buddies that I always raid in MMO's with and there are standard features that have been in MMO's for over 7 years that are missing.

Unless there is a new revision from what Bioware has, you can expect endless loading screens.

I have absoultely no belief that this engine could handle 100+ person PVP

CVG have 11 screenshots up

Looks very generic IMO. F2p in a year.

Concept art is interesting, especially the insect people.

Gotta agree that it doesn't look like ES at all. If someone showed this to me without telling me what license it was a part of or any details, I'd guess the Rift people were making a single player game for consoles. Honestly not trying to troll, but in its current condition it looks like 30% progress shots of a 3 year old console game.

Still think the PVP is promising though.

Wallach

Concept art is interesting, especially the insect people.

Gotta agree that it doesn't look like ES at all. If someone showed this to me without telling me what license it was a part of or any details, I'd guess the Rift people were making a single player game for consoles. Honestly not trying to troll, but in its current condition it looks like 30% progress shots of a 3 year old console game.

If these images had leaked without the information I think my first guess would have been Copernicus.

I completely retract any excitement I had. Bland, lacking necessary features, and after SWTOR, I've no interest in generics. What a shame to even attempt to call this Elder Scrolls.

Cheech

What a pile of shit. My only hope at this point is that they put a knife in it so they don't damage the equity they've built up in the ES name.

Just don't care. Don't even know why I'm posting because I don't care so much. Actually the most interesting thing on there is the apparent lack of an aggro system.

It's good that a separate team is making this instead of it taking up the time of the main series developers. Unlike certain other long-running RPG series...

Cheech

I will have to go with looks like shit people... My interest dropped to 0% after seeing this.

For real. For me to try this out, they'd have to give me a week at zero cost. The thought of paying $60 up front for this is a laugher.

Evlar

Banned
This is the most negative post-reveal thread of a large project I can remember. Usually there's at least a small hype-bump.

Cancel this shit. Not even the slightest bit interested, now. The Elder Scrolls doesn't need to be an MMO, do online a different way, like Fable or Diablo.

schragnasher

Neo Member
-Third person perspective
-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs
-There will be no player housing
-The game uses MMORPG genre standards such as classes, experience points, and other traditional MMORPG progression mechanics, but they try to present it "around the core fantasy presented by traditiona Elder Scrolls games" such as traveling around and righting wrongs or seeking riches
-The combat model will not be real time due to latency

jjXPI.png

-ZeniMax feels that having the stamina bar will help break down the Holy Trinity as stamina allows you to do things like tank
LOL!

-PXG-

This sounds incredibly boring. I saw the screens. Not a fan of the art either.

This game is gonna need a miracle. Still, it could be good, but I doubt it. I hope they do a beta...

RPGCrazied

I guess if they had to, they could scrap the online part, put a story in there and just make it a spinoff elder scrolls game.

Just need a coop mod or expansion for Skyrim.

Not this.

What's funny is that I would have thought this a terrible idea a few days ago.

I think they should change the name to Dark Age of Tamriel, it might better embrace how different this is from an ES game and excite the few people like myself still interested in the PVP.

kodt

Banned
Biggest disappointment are that they pretty much admitted it will play just like every other MMO out there, and that the game world is only about the size of Skyrim.

Why not take the game world already designed in Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion, etc... and put them together (with some changes of course, but relative to the size).

Jako

The main problem is, the setting is already pretty unoriginal, TES games are known for their depth and freedom, this is not Star Wars, the setting itself isn't strong enough to attract the masses.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As much as I love Elder Scrolls lore, I'm not going to play through a shitty cookie cutter MMO to experience it.

Effect

Just need a coop mod or expansion for Skyrim.

Not this.

That's really all they need to do. As long as the expansions are well done and add to the game world they'd make plenty of money. A co-op or 4/5 player max expansion would have at least allowed them to test if people were willing to play with others in an Elder Scroll world. The type of things they'd want to do. Without sinking millions in an already crowded market. ES stands out because there aren't a lot of games like it on the market.

J-Rod

Sounds like a TES game only in name and mythology. I guess that's mostly what's important though when making the sell.

vaelic

Banned
-The game features three faction PvP where you fight to take over keeps and use trebuchets and other siege weapons to help do it. At the high end, you can have 100 v 100 battles.

not on the Hero engine it doesn't....

Top Bottom