• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart Arcade GP 2

jarrod

Banned
Holishit Nintendo, I think it's time to kick Namco to the curb. It's not like you're getting anything outta them anymore. :lol

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
So this game sucked? I really wanted it to surface on a console...

jarrod

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
It doesn't suck per se, but it's no Mario Kart. It's more like a pseudo-sequel to Namco's Race On with mascots.

jesusraz

Played the first one in London early in September this year...it was surprisingly fun, considering all the negative feedback I'd heard about it. Sure, it was no 'proper' MK, but I wasn't exactly expecting the home console experience in arcade format!

Looking forward to this. Perhaps both can be bundled or merged for an early Wii game, who knows?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I played it and it wasn't SO bad, it just wasn't mario kart..
My sister's boyfriend plays MKDS on my DS all the time but really hates that game..

jarrod

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
It has to be better than that Double Dash crap.
Not if Mario Kart's what you want. Though DD!! was totally crap.

Then again, it Scamco. Don't you remember Donkey Konga, Mario Baseball and Star Fox Assault? :lol

Rlan

MK GP's movement was okay, the problems were:

A) Has 50 billion weapons. 6 which are useful.
B) Courses are boring. Almost all of them consist of ovals, and has very little scenery moving.
C) The "Pay $1 for the next course" thing goes against everything that Mario Kart stands for. A Single Race match is just lame.

jesusraz

jarrod said:
Not if Mario Kart's what you want. Though DD!! was totally crap.

Then again, it Scamco. Don't you remember Donkey Konga, Mario Baseball and Star Fox Assault? :lol

Donkey Konga was fun, Mario Baseball had its moments and the flying sections of SFA weren't bad at all (no Ace Combat, I admit, but still decent).

I know what you mean, though. We need a full Ridge Racer, Tekken and/or Soul Calibur on Wii.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
jesusraz said:
Played the first one in London early in September this year...

What? I went to the mother fruggin trocadero and it was nowhere to be found! Shitty "World Series of People Shouting in Spannish as they get fragged in Quake 4" was there, though.

beelzebozo said:
double dash was crap?
ok, but i still dig baby park.
i'm keeping that.
And the traffic levels. And DK Mountain. And the Bowser level. And Dry Dry Desert. Some of the best levels in the series come from DD.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My biggest gripe with AGP1 was the size of the tracks. It never really felt like mario kart at all.

Hopefully AGP2 will remedy that inequity. I doubt it, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Smiles and Cries said:
We need a classic controled Wii version of MK not this arcade thud

Actually, if Mario kart used the nunchuk, and I could slide and shit like usual, but then throw weapons in different directions by whipping the controller in said direction, that would be awesome.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
DaCocoBrova said:

Nobody plays it at the arcade I frequent. Everybody wanted it before release, but it wasn't really that fun. My girlfriend played it for the first time on Friday and said she would rather stick to the N64 version. And I've played it maybe 2 times over the last 6 months.

Plus the price is another issue. You have to pay to continue, even if you win. Something about GP is just boring. Maybe the track design, I don't know. The camera thing is cute at least, but playing the actual game has never been fun to me.

Rlan said:
MK GP's movement was okay, the problems were:

A) Has 50 billion weapons. 6 which are useful.
B) Courses are boring. Almost all of them consist of ovals, and has very little scenery moving.
C) The "Pay $1 for the next course" thing goes against everything that Mario Kart stands for. A Single Race match is just lame.
What? I want my 5 minutes worth for £1 thank you!

*sticks to playing outrun arcade*

jesusraz

McBacon said:
What? I went to the mother fruggin trocadero and it was nowhere to be found! Shitty "World Series of People Shouting in Spannish as they get fragged in Quake 4" was there, though.

Hidden around the corner of the arcade breakout area, halfway round the Madame Tussaud's tour...located, interestingly enough, right next to the babies' changing room!

Deezel

MKDD is a great game providing you have 4 or more people to play with..(for more than 4 people the loser hands over his pad for the next race to the person waiting)

It's still played here with my friends on a weekly basis, it's kinda like a sport now, as everyone playing has fully mastered the game. We have played all the Mario Kart console games this way since the Snes.

Whilst Super Mario Kart was always my personal favourite, I have to say Double Dash is the better game, due to the craziness on frantic level for 4 people and the banter that results from it...

People that say it's crap just must not have anyone to play with...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DaCocoBrova said:
The SNES MK was the only enjoyable one IMO.

the backgrounds are really disorienting to me now.
it's like the whole world is just spinning around you. nauseating.
i would think mk:ds would be the one for the snes purists at this point, since it seems to follow that pretty closely.

Kreed

While Double Dash wasn't my favorite Mario Kart (it certainly didn't get as much play time from me as the others), I will say that the the co-op mode in Double Dash was awesome with friends.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i had some great times playing MKDD with mates - its nowhere near as bad as the general hate would suggest.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Kreed - We are in complete agreement.

Also, Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 was utterly TERRIBLE. SO very bland and the controls were all wrong. The best bit were the 'ending challenges' where you had to do something odd like run over 15 Koopa troopers in a time limit or bounce a chomp chomp down the course... within a time limit.

Otherwise, it was caca. No high hopes for GP2. They have it in a local arcade and it's not been well-received so far from what few have told me.

Branduil

TheTrin said:
Actually, if Mario kart used the nunchuk, and I could slide and shit like usual, but then throw weapons in different directions by whipping the controller in said direction, that would be awesome.

Mario Kart Wii must be made ExciteTruck style.

haters be gone, i had a lot of fun with the original. yes the steering isn't quite solid but it's an arcade game, not something you own and play a lot. pacman rocked. and i loved the picture avatar racer thing.

F#A#Oo

Banned
McBacon said:

Den yous blind mate...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jarrod said:
Holishit Nintendo, I think it's time to kick Namco to the curb. It's not like you're getting anything outta them anymore. :lol

QFMFT!

Namco is the most worthless big name developer that Nintendo's used this gen for outsourcing their franchises. Enough, already.

ok, but i still dig baby park.

DD!! is indeed garbage, but I do dig this level quite a bit.

I thought this was the best part of that ad

what.gif

whatthe.gif

whattheeff.gif

:lol :lol

Mar

DS version wins. I was beginning to think no game would beat the original on the SNES. But DS did it.

The only problem with DS is that it doesn't have Ghost Valley :(.

etiolate

Banned
Double Dash was awesome and Mario Kart GP wasn't bad at all, just different. DD was different as well, and the difference added more variety and longevity to the game. I would pick it over the others if I had a party going.

beelzebozo said:
band together.
the bulls*** and the tyrrany's gone on too long.

it's time to **** shit up time to start a ****ing riiiot!

The only double dash disappointment for me was battle mode, the GP itself was awesomeness, especially two players coop pilot/co-pilot.

Blue shells blow though.

Top Bottom