• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Sony handheld device patent looks familiar

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is this old? Says the patent was filed in 2015 but was just published.

Also I'm implying Switchyness but can't tell if the controls are removable. There does seem to be something not-one-piece about them, though.

Vita 2. .. . . .

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20009529.html

lnNGi44.gif

17BZG29.gif

lXAoah9.gif

L~A

Looks like a controller for use with a smartphone/tablet, not really a handheld. At least,that's what it makes me think of.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I said this before and no one paid attention.
It's like everyone has short memories lol

I can't wait til it's announced and then every thread about a new game gets plagued with the same 3rd or 4th response

'No word on the PS Switch Version?'

CEJames

What. Is. This.

Fake?

Sony still thinking about dipping in the handheld field?

Patent was filed 3 years after the Vita was launched. When was it declared dead again??

Should I get my hopes up for a Vita successor?

looks like a tablet controller. probably for PSNow. would be bluetooth and just clip on to your tablet, but PSNow has been discontinued for tablets, right?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The fact that the diagrams seem to have some information applied specifically to the tablet part, as well as none of the diagrams showing the controller parts detached, lead me to believe the patent isn't just for a tablet controller but rather a whole device.

2owLJVZ.gif

DavidDesu

Interesting. Frankly I'd take a dumb Wii U style streaming screen for a future PS5 that could perhaps also run all Vita and PS1 and PS2 software. To go one better perhaps able to run PS4 software which can be fairly easily down-ported to the device...

I just can't see a Sony portable having any success and if Sony do try again for the love of Christmas [ahh autocorrect, I'll leave this in lol] enough with the proprietary super expensive SD-but-not-an-SD cards!

Switch will do great however.

The diagrams seem to have at least some information specifically applied to the tablet part itself, as well as none of the diagrams show the controller parts detached, leading me to believe the patent isn't just for a tablet controller but rather a whole device.

2owLJVZ.gif

Yeah, this is not a tablet. It looks like PS Vita buttons.

I don't think this will ever come out though.

I would honestly love a premium off screen controller for every console to be available as an option. Obviously it's been a core feature on Nintendo consoles for awhile now and it's a big part of the allure of handhelds for me too, but being able to play playstation games sans TV in a way that upgrades the compromised button scheme on vita remote play would be great. Same goes for xbox. Obviously there are remote play options but closer to the Wii U pad would be great.

newbong95

Since all games now run on pretty scalable engines and ps4 scaling up to 4k with pro .. can't cerny be making a device that can scale down ps4 games to 720p and run on a tablet like device with dual-cons !

Maybe ps5 consist amd's k12 arm architecture as cpu and can scale to portable power requirements . Now sony is not over with generations as cerny mentioned . So maybe the next change is arm , which enables sony to launch a family of devices for different types of users .

But then theres playstation now .

Scrawnton

Since all games now run on pretty scalable engines and ps4 scaling up to 4k with pro .. can't cerny be making a device that can scale down ps4 games to 720p and run on a tablet like device with dual-cons !
Sony is not gonna go head to head with Nintendo again in the handheld market when Nintendo already trounced them twice. What about the vita makes anyone think Sony is ready to jump back in?

Looks comfortable to hold, and would probably have more than one game I'm interested in.

So, yeah, I'd probably buy this.

(but I'd be shocked if it ever actually materialized)

CEJames

Proper d-pad!

Yes!

The fact that the diagrams seem to have some information applied specifically to the tablet part, as well as none of the diagrams showing the controller parts detached, lead me to believe the patent isn't just for a tablet controller but rather a whole device.

2owLJVZ.gif

Yeah, this is not a tablet. It looks like PS Vita buttons.

I don't think this will ever come out though.

Believe!

would buy,
would also probably have a web browser.

would be nice to have both but im not really hurting for a new sony handheld

2owLJVZ.gif

ahhhh didn't see this one. looked like a tablet cover in the op pictures.

Sony is not gonna go head to head with Nintendo again in the handheld market when Nintendo already trounced them twice. What about the vita makes anyone think Sony is ready to jump back in?

Sony would GLADLY go back in if they could sell over 80 million again. regardless of Nintendo.

Top Bottom