• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America to support Vita digitally, Danganronpa V3 the last physical release

Another interesting feature with NIS America from Katharine Byrne at MCV UK. There are quotes from both senior associate producer Alan Costa and CEO Takuro Yamashita.

"Obviously we've got the Japanese content covered. So we still see that, when we release games on Vita, we have a fanbase that's there and that they get it and love it. But as a whole, it's not really the place to be right now."

NIS America president and CEO Takuro Yamashita also confirmed to MCV that Danganronpa V3 and Ys VIII will likely be the last Vita titles from the company that receive a physical release.

"Right now in the market, the PS Vita is obviously on its way out, and the Switch is very, very strong. One thing in particular that makes it strong is that it has that handheld function, so going forward as a company, we want to target PS4, Steam and Switch, because over the next two years, the Switch market is only going to grow and become stronger.

The question is whether other publishers will follow suit, now that one of the largest remaining publishers on the platform outside of Asia intends to go digital-only.

It's an odd interview because they've just released Yomawari physical and have Demon Gaze 2 and Tokyo Tattoo Girls next month. Not quite sure why those were omitted.

But it's been kinda clear for some time this was happening with no physical releases in 2018 planned and stuff like The Lost Child digital-only.

Aksys and If have a few physical games next year I believe, but otherwise that's about it.

It's an odd interview because they've just released Yomawari physical and have Demon Gaze 2 and Tokyo Tattoo Girls next month. Not quite sure why those were omitted.

But it's been kinda clear for some time this was happening with no physical releases in 2018 planned and stuff like The Lost Child digital-only.

Aksys and If have a few physical games next year I believe, but otherwise that's about it.

Had forgotten about Demon Gaze 2. I guess anything planned for release now, before orders can be placed for game cards, and physical SKUs created, will only land on the PS Store.

Jimm

It's a bit sad to hear, but I get it. NIS have been fantastic. As soon as they release games on Vita and Switch I know I'll be getting the Switch version for sure.

But they talk about DV3 and Ys as their last physical releases when Tokyo Tattoo Girls and Demon Gaze 2 aren't even out yet and are getting physical copies... and Chaos Child just came out too. EDIT: Beaten because my internet is slow heh

ironmang

Surprised physical releases lasted this long over here. Most local stores near me don't even have Vita sections any more and haven't for at least a couple years.

Surprised physical releases lasted this long over here. Most local stores near me don't even have Vita sections any more and haven't for at least a couple years.

Surprisingly, up until this year all my local brick and mortar stores had Vita sections. It was only maybe... 4 months ago? that Grainger Games got rid of theirs and my local GAME stopped ordering new copies of things.

NISA have the advantage of an online store where they can sell limited quantities directly to consumers, but it seems like they're not interested in going that route anymore.

Tailzo

2012 to 2018 looks like a better than expected run, imo. Great little handheld. I still play mine weekly.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Then I hope they bring their visual novels to Switch in the future. I do not buy downloads, but I enjoy Danganronpa.

The quote from NIS America's president is recent, so my guess is it's a reaction to the sales performance of Ys VIII and Danganronpa - both of which launched multiplatform outside of Japan.

I'd still rather have portable versions of upcoming games from NISA, but it seems like anything which could be released outside of Japan and Asia now at least has a PS4 version so if you really are opposed to buying digitally there are options.

The quote from NIS America's president is recent, so my guess is it's a reaction to the sales performance of Ys VIII and Danganronpa - both of which launched multiplatform outside of Japan.

I mean, they had to move stock from the PS4 version of DanganRonpa to the Vita version initially (which suggests there's a market for boxed limited editions) and I can tell you anecdotally that it's impossible to find a new PAL copy of the game in the UK at the minute (which suggests they've totally sold out of initial shipment).

Maybe it's just based on Ys, a game which was inferior on Vita anyway :p

To be fair though, Ani was saying for a while that things like A Rose in the Twilight were just eeking over minimum order quantity, so I guess it was inevitable.

It will be 6 years in February for Vita considering sales numbers it's amazing support we had. If we can get another year or two on top of that as digital it's great result.

Tonyx

Sad but not really a surprise, unfortunately.

Hopefully the reduced costs of going digital only will allow another couple years of releases.

18-Volt

Pretty sure Japanese devs will also stop making Vita version soon. But until then, NISA's plate is still quite full: The Last Child, Your Four Knight Princess, Metal Max...

Revo_zero

Dunno what he is saying as Yomawari Midnight Shadows, Demon Gaze II and Tokyo Tattoo Girls are all getting physical releases later this year on vita

edit: realise this has already been pointed out, whoops

Top Bottom