• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

iNvid02

Why would you want JPEG to die already? If you save these screens at JPEG max quality they'd load 2x3 times faster in this thread and the quality difference would be literally invisible to a naked eyes unless you zoom them up to 200-300%

i wouldnt mind using jpeg but abload converting bmp to png upon upload is just too convenient. coupled with its stability and features its the best image host bar none.

after seeing that my account had accumulated over 6TB of traffic, i felt inclined to make them a nice donation last year

iamalive2oxl94.png

iamalive1l0ao0.png

Sethos

Banned
aha yea I probably should work on having more variety!

No worries, just playing with you. Just that every shot I've seen from you over the last year contains a red car up close :p However they are excellent, you do take some great shots. Keep it up.

Darkdeus

Thanks again stallion! You guys are probably better off waiting to play Project Cars anyways. It's not optimized very well at this point and the physics are a very early work in progress. They just implemented a brand new tired model that is much more advanced and most cars are just getting to the point that they work ok with it but there's still a long ways to go. I think they are aiming for a release by the end of the year but have said they are not going to rush it and the community will have some input about whether they feel like it is ready or not.

Sethos

Banned
almost everything in Pcars look so great, but then there's those terrible clouds

They added clouds some months ago as a first pass, then they did another pass to improve them and have recently improved them again. So they are definitely WIP and far from finished. The entire weather system is a focus right now I believe, rain and everything that it includes is also a fairly recent feature.

iNvid02

Thanks again stallion! You guys are probably better off waiting to play Project Cars anyways. It's not optimized very well at this point and the physics are a very early work in progress. They just implemented a brand new tired model that is much more advanced and most cars are just getting to the point that they work ok with it but there's still a long ways to go. I think they are aiming for a release by the end of the year but have said they are not going to rush it and the community will have some input about whether they feel like it is ready or not.

interesting, thanks.

Hey, heads up, but you're playing a 4:3 game at a 16:9 resolution, which is causing the image to get really stretched. Since you're using PCSX2 there are widescreen mods available that let the game render properly and it'll look much nicer for you.

Here's the patch for Kingdom Hearts 2, and here's some more info on it.

If you need more help, just google "PCSX2 Widescreen Hack Tutorial" and it should lead you to getting the game looking great.

Wow I had no idea I was running it at 4:3 I was so excited at how crisp and smooth it played that I didn't realize. Plus I haven't played this game in over a decade anyway.

Anyhoo I downloaded the pnach file because that other link seemed incredibly complicated so I used the pnach file and it looks MUCH better.

I think this is how it's supposed to look right?

I used to think why is everyone so short in Persona 4 lol.
widescreen.png

Sethos

Banned
It's incredible how well SMAA alone cleans up the image when there's distinct drawn up lines, the SMAA injector alone is able to outdo and outperform 4xMSAA. Very impressive.

Can't wait for developers to make SMAA a native part of games so we can enjoy something beyond 1x and ditch that FXAA shit.

1agr3e.png

24eot8.png

Blizzard

Banned
Those are ingame/in-engine shots for Spiderman? I guess I need to add it to my wishlist. It looks quite nice.

Metalmurphy, are you using any forced AA or filtering settings? Or compression? There's something really odd-looking about your foliage...the aliased edges may be normal, but those pictures look different to me. Or can someone else post a screenshot of one of the same areas to see if it's a videocard thing?

SkyscraperFan

Neo Member
Got my new pc set up so I thought I'd try and post some screens of a game that probably isn't shown as much around here. Unfortunately they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.

Here's a naval battle in Napoleon Total war

The first volley
iFp4qUhXjDe6u.png

Preparing to board their flagship:
ifXJxGYd6QYD4.png

Sethos

Banned
Good to see some Total War in here. It's a shame the objects around and behind the smoke are dithered so badly, always bothered me about the game(s).

SkyscraperFan

Neo Member
I've been using Darthmod which comes with a smoke mod which looks amazing in more static environments like land battles, but tends to get a bit messy during the constant motion of naval battles.

jediyoshi

Skyrim

Got the wearable lantern mod working, hopefully the last gameplay altering mod I use

tesv-2013-01-01-20-42fgi13.jpg

tesv-2013-01-01-20-142eups.jpg

I think I am one of the few people who like the look of vanilla GTA IV over the ENB stuff.

There's so many variations at this point it's a hard generalization to make
At the least I think I like it for all the additions outside of colour grading it does

How did you get it to run on the 560?

just worked. when you've got a DX10+ card that is a 5-series or up i heard that some old ATi demos will work.

Also do a search for some sort of text file you have to edit, just in case to get it working.

Except that never happens and we have to deal with compressed screens left and right.

Well I even went as far as taking down and reuploading my screens in this thread from RAW PNGs from FRAPS -> into Level 12 quality JPEGS in Photoshop. At least I'm trying, oh and i even cut out any black bars too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wow I had no idea I was running it at 4:3 I was so excited at how crisp and smooth it played that I didn't realize. Plus I haven't played this game in over a decade anyway.

Anyhoo I downloaded the pnach file because that other link seemed incredibly complicated so I used the pnach file and it looks MUCH better.

I think this is how it's supposed to look right?

I used to think why is everyone so short in Persona 4 lol.
widescreen.png

You've got the aspect ratio great now! Now just from personal opinion, there's are probably some tweaks I would do.

It looks like even though you're using PNG's, the files look compressed. Are you sure the website you're using isn't compressing the files? I like to use Minus to make sure my pictures show up online exactly as I took them with no compression.

Assuming your computer can handle it, I would make sure that the emulator is rendering the game at the same resolution as your monitor. What I'm thinking is compression might just be that your rendering the game under 1080p but taking screenshots at that resolution, which would make everything look a little messy. If you are rendering at your native resolution, and you think your computer can handle it, try using some Anti-aliasing! It'll make the game look much smoother and more natural.

Lastly, the colors seem a little off. Especially in "Command" on the bar on the left. Perhaps mess around with the settings in SweetFx that you're using and tone them down a bit?

Those are just some things I thought while checking out the shot, I hope it helps.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Man, this game is so much cooler than I even expected it to be. Dropping a body from the ceiling, scaring the enemy so much that he goes ballistic and shoots his friend, then dropping down and hanging him with a chain is a really intense, satisfying thing to pull off. I stopped taking screenshots early because I wanted to focus on getting used to the controls, and now that I've got a solid grasp on them I'll be taking more varied shots that hopefully show off some of the cooler aspects.

ir5JQmZpghfa2.jpg

ist5DSOAQL888.jpg

I have come to uglify the thread. With perhaps my favourite game of all time (it's a toss up between it and Deus Ex)

2571a2c0361027f233e32787b07c486b522cd902.png

It's rather sweet being able to play Thief 2 at 1920x1200, taffer patch has a few upgraded textures as well now and skyboxes. I hope 4 doesn't suck.

KyleN

Banned
Finally got to play Project Cars thanks to Spazznid!
Game looks amazing, but how do you guys the those nice camera angles? And how do you unlock cars etc?
i6U9mwwquZbuf.png

iZppSU30mfrcG.png

Stein3x

?

Your Deus Ex:HR looks even more monochrome than the vanilla game.

Here is what it looks like for me with no color filter.

Great pics!I have previously tried with enb tweaks and it looks more naturall but i prefer some greenish style (need to tweak the dark tones though). I can't seem to manage enb + sgssa to work,i can use it with sweetfx but i cant force sgssa in inspector when i use enb.Any suggestions?

Top Bottom