• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redbox ad indicates Max Payne 3 360 on 2 discs, might need both for online play?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
UPDATE: Rockstar Games just confirmed this with clarification. MP included on disc 1 but only first half of campaign. Redbox will only carry the first disc.:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h477i5
https://twitter.com/#!/RockstarGames/statuses/194540718365220864

@jbu3 @Wario64 @azeroth9 @AdamDork That Redbox info is not accurate. Redbox only ever rent out one disc, for any multi-disc game. Max is on 2 discs for 360, so Redbox will be renting disc 1 which contains half of the single player story and the full multiplayer game

Code:
Wait, looking on redbox.com right now, hovering over the 360 version gets me this:

IrU7H.png

So its seems like multiplayer and the first half of the campaign are on one disc?

-----------
OLD

Just saw this from Redbox. Not sure if this is news. I think it is.

iYrf80aAa6W39.jpg

If you highlight the PS3 version, it says nothing about no online play.

http://www.redbox.com/games/comingsoon

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How do they rent out Battlefield 3? That is split on two discs as well.

Only the PS3 version is available from Redbox.

Gamefly...no idea?

Edit:

"NOTE: This is a two disc game, but it only counts as one disc against your rental plan. This game requires an EA Online Pass code to access online content. The Online Pass code is included with purchase, but not with rental of this title."

Struct09

So if Redbox is only giving you disc 1 with that disclaimer, it sounds like the whole campaign is on the 1st disc and multiplayer is on the 2nd?

see5harp

Yea that seems likely. Gamefly subscribers will be fine as they always provide all discs, and sometimes like in the case of BF3, they'll offer a free online game pass.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So if Redbox is only giving you disc 1 with that disclaimer, it sounds like the whole campaign is on the 1st disc and multiplayer is on the 2nd?

This is probably likely. I guess I could just sell the MP disc if I don't care about it :)

I guess the one good thing you can say about multiple Xbox Discs, is that you know you're in for a long single player campaign. Which is exactly what I wanted to hear about MP3.

fernoca

I guess the one good thing you can say about multiple Xbox Discs, is that you know you're in for a long single player campaign. Which is exactly what I wanted to hear about MP3.
Not necessarily.
Could be that there's a ton of voice acting and music. Look at LA Noire and it been on 3 discs; but was technically shorter and had less content than Red Dead Redemption which was in one disc.

Xander51

Awesome, really cool to hear that each segment of the game takes up a disc. I was hoping for a long campaign on this one.

Not going to make that mistake again when I do get around to picking it up. I wanted to stab myself in the eyes every time I had to chance ME3 discs on the xbox 360. I wanted to keep my original fem shep from ME1 and didn't want to start over on the PS3 or PC, but now I feel it might have been worth it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not going to make that mistake again when I do get around to picking it up. I wanted to stab myself in the eyes every time I had to chance ME3 discs on the xbox 360. I wanted to keep my original fem shep from ME1 and didn't want to start over, but now I feel it might have been worth it.

It's just online play apparently. It won't be forcing you to switch in SP.

Not necessarily.
Could be that there's a ton of voice acting and music. Look at LA Noire and it been on 3 discs; but was technically shorter and had less content than Red Dead Redemption which was in one disc.

Yeah, most times single player games are on multiple discs is because of large language or movie files.

There's no way this game will take between 15 and 20 hours to complete. No. freaking. way. I'm saying it'll be around 12 depending on difficulty level.

I wonder if Max Payne 3 will have any moments like the police station in the second game, where you're just kind of interacting with things, chatting to folks and absorbing the atmosphere. In 2 it provided a nice break from the action.

Simo

Redbox didn't rent out BF3 for Xbox.

Yep it does but only the campaign disc.

I wonder if Max Payne 3 will have any moments like the police station in the second game, where you're just kind of interacting with things, chatting to folks and absorbing the atmosphere. In 2 it provided a nice break from the action.

Design & Tech video #3 and the achievements list seem to hint the answer - Yes.

JB1981

yea if so it's not unprecedented or uncommon. sucks for people looking to rent though. online pass lol

KageMaru

I'm reading that as they are only including disc one so there will be no MP since that's on disc 2.

MS should really stop being stupid and allow devs to install both games and just play off of one. I guess this late in the generation it doesn't matter as much, but it was always a stupid policy that I could never understand.

Fjordson

I think it will. R* hasn't shown that yet really, but I'm pretty sure it'll have it. I remember reading a preview just the other day talking about a favela level with great atmosphere. "Trees swaying in the wind, kids playing soccer on a field, locals talking to each other in a side alley, bossa nova drifting out from an open window". Will be interesting to see how many areas there are like that.

libregkd

Wait, looking on redbox.com right now, hovering over the 360 version gets me this:

IrU7H.png

So its seems like multiplayer and the first half of the campaign are on one disc?

Simo

IrU7H.png

Same here. LOL You're pretty much boned then if you rent the 360 version, at least if you're renting for campaign.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
@rockstargames just confirmed this.

@jbu3 @Wario64 @azeroth9 @AdamDork That Redbox info is not accurate. Redbox only ever rent out one disc, for any multi-disc game. Max is on 2 discs for 360, so Redbox will be renting disc 1 which contains half of the single player story and the full multiplayer game.

JB1981

wow thats even worse if you want to play the singleplayer. single player split across two discs. lame. hopefully ps3 version is up to snuff but i won't hold my breath.

Yep it does but only the campaign disc.

Design & Tech video #3 and the achievements list seem to hint the answer - Yes.

I think it will. R* hasn't shown that yet really, but I'm pretty sure it'll have it. I remember reading a preview just the other day talking about a favela level with great atmosphere. "Trees swaying in the wind, kids playing soccer on a field, locals talking to each other in a side alley, bossa nova drifting out from an open window". Will be interesting to see how many areas there are like that.

Excellent. I just don't want it to be 10 hours of straight-up shooting. A little bit of variety goes a long way, even if there isn't much actual 'gameplay' involved. Roaming around the police station and eavesdropping on all the conversations, or wandering through the funhouse the first time to reach Mona - those were terrific moments that really drew you in to Max's world. I wonder if there will be any dream sequences!

So we don't have to switch discs to go into MP? That's nice. I actually prefer it that way. If I'm playing by myself and I get an invite for MP I don't want to have to switch discs.

KageMaru

@rockstargames just confirmed this.

@jbu3 @Wario64 @azeroth9 @AdamDork That Redbox info is not accurate. Redbox only ever rent out one disc, for any multi-disc game. Max is on 2 discs for 360, so Redbox will be renting disc 1 which contains half of the single player story and the full multiplayer game.

Lol wow, that's incredibly stupid. I don't understand why they would bother renting this out to begin with.

Top Bottom