• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give me a reason why Darth Vader isn't the coolest villain ever

CD'S BAR

Look at Kylo ten. He looks menacing yet his costume is sleek and stylish. Vader looks slow, clunky and his helmet is stupid. Ren is what Vader should look like

Speaking strictly on looks, Ren is a redesigned version of Vader to better appeal to millennials and their kids.

Vader is supposed to be slow and clunky and behemoth-like. He's a burned man in a medical suit. Also he was designed in the 1970s. He looks just great for what he is.

30 years from now when we have star wars episode 20 people will be saying Ren looks outdated.

ncfom7.jpg

This guy was way better than whiny Anakin.

I wonder what could a re-imagined Vader look like, one that fans could agree on. Probably an impossibility. :p That control panel sticking out of his chest really looks like shit, among other things.

I can see fully armored Zod being what modern Darth Vader would resemble, considering it's a blend of Vader and space jockeys.

Vader the coolest villain ever? What? He will always be a boring, lame villain to me. If you really want a cool villain, Femto from Berserk reigns supreme.

D9SXbJFl.jpg

v1lla21

Vader the coolest villain ever? What? He will always be a boring, lame villain to me. If you really want a cool villain, Femto from Berserk reigns supreme.

D9SXbJFl.jpg
Darth Vader wannabe with a dorky ass costume.

This scene alone makes Darth Vader the baddest motherfucker in the Galaxy.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I can see fully armored Zod being what modern Darth Vader would resemble, considering it's a blend of Vader and space jockeys.

Eh, I'd rather go for the McQuarrie concept if I were forced to give him a new look, which is sleeker and doesn't have the goofy buttons on the chest.

The only thing I'd change about this is the more insect-y helmet.

The prequels ruined any chance of him being the coolest in several ways:

1. Anakin was a shithead and his reasons to turn to the dark side were pretty weak.
  2. Darth Maul was far more of a badass due to the change in style with regard to lightsaber duel. (And his character design was amazing)
  3. The only time I ever felt any kind of fear from his presence was Rogue One. Again, probably due to the difference in film style, but it's an issue.
  4. Ultimately there are villains from other series that are more awe-inspiring in scope, villainy, and design that rank higher.

Davide

The prequels ruined any chance of him being the coolest in several ways:

1. Anakin was a shithead and his reasons to turn to the dark side were pretty weak.
  2. Darth Maul was far more of a badass due to the change in style with regard to lightsaber duel. (And his character design was amazing)
  3. The only time I ever felt any kind of fear from his presence was Rogue One. Again, probably due to the difference in film style, but it's an issue.
  4. Ultimately there are villains from other series that are more awe-inspiring in scope, villainy, and design that rank higher.
Just substitute the PT with Rogue One with the prequel to the OT and Vader is the best again. Kylo Ren's pretty good though.

Maul was a cool looking cardboard cut out of a character.

Because the motherfucker appears on shit like this:

ep3cereal-vader-11.8-f.jpg

3.jpg

d735d54e-cf0b-45b3-9c57-a42c63605223_1.2d35a68a39518ed64b5589ecf78c22ab.jpeg

5fcd2238792bc33cefcafd28b02728cb.jpg

Darth-Vader-Mr-Potato-Head.jpg

Look at this dumb motherfucker!

It's not as bad when kid friendly mascot characters like Mickey or Mario do this sort of nonsense, but when a supposed "badass" is in products like this? It looks stupid and I can't take him seriously anymore. When I see Vader, I see a dude going to a child's birthday party. Not a guy that slaughters jedi by the dozen.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If anyone else is wondering what a "modern Vader" would look like, you can just look at the concept art for Kylo Ren during production of TFA where they were tried to emulate him a lot.

By the way, according to the art book, it also took them forever to finally get to the mask we got in the end.

Trickster

D9SXbJFl.jpg

Griffith/Femto is basically the best villain ever. His relationship with the protagonist and then the way he ultimately assumes the mantle of villain is just so much better than anything else I've seen. Can't imagine anyone who's actually read Berserk would disagree

Griffith/Femto is basically the best villain ever. His relationship with the protagonist and then the way he ultimately assumes the mantle of villain is just so much better than anything else I've seen. Can't imagine anyone who's actually read Berserk would disagree

Preach it brother!

EGM1966

Because he's not really cool. He was badass for a while but they screwed that up.

Alan Rickman as Hans in Dir Hard was cool (and knew a good suit when he saw one) for e smoke: Vader was never really cool in the common sense of the word. Closest he came was Empire when he was casually offing failing subordinates and mostly winning.

Ledger's Joker in TDK was unsettlingly cool.

Vader up to Jedi would probably make a solid top 10 but the prequels in particularly really eroded his menace and for sure any coolness the character had.

jett

D-Member
Darth Vader wannabe with a dorky ass costume.

This scene alone makes Darth Vader the baddest motherfucker in the Galaxy.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Femto is way more evil than Vader.

Vader could've had an amazing origin story that added some true depth to his character. But we got the prequels instead.

^^
he said it!
he said what we're all thinking.

and lol at the 'vader wananabe' up above, thats just adorable.

All these anime and comic book dorks reveling in the presence of a true icon. even his random lines are more inscribed in pop culture than most other characters. I'd say only the joker is comparable.

Coolness isn't something you can establish over long arcs with things like motivations and power levels. It's conveyed in a single moment and that moment is Darth Vader stepping over dead bodies casually taking control of a ship. It's about the design combined with the moment. It's the same reason Boba Fett is cool. He looks fuckin sick and he gets a callout from Darth Vader. That's all you need. It's clearly difficult for nerds to understand cool, having never experienced it and why random comic and anime villains get suggested as answers, but regular people get it which is why Darth Vader is instantly recognizable around the world.

Top Bottom